• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apparently there is something called the "Tony Blair Institute" (whatever that is) demanding that mandatory masks for public transport be brought back during the winter to prevent a "winter health crisis". What a bunch of cobblers. I won't be complying, and I can't see many others doing so either.
It's been discussed in this thread:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davews

Bus stop in Petersham Road by Richmond Park today. One of the huge TFL blue posters saying 'face coverings must be worn on TFL services'.

KeithMcC

Scotland and bits of NE England still seem to be stuck in last year. Mask announcements in Tesco, screens at hotel reception, notices in McDonalds demanding masks, with screens between tables. Bonesss and Kinniel Railway still restricting numbers with tickets for specific trains and screens between seating bays.
Be glad to get back south tomorrow!

Class 33

Established Member
Scotland and bits of NE England still seem to be stuck in last year. Mask announcements in Tesco, screens at hotel reception, notices in McDonalds demanding masks, with screens between tables. Bonesss and Kinniel Railway still restricting numbers with tickets for specific trains and screens between seating bays.
Be glad to get back south tomorrow!

I agree some parts of Northern England and elsewhere in England are still stuck in last year to some degree.

When I was in Manchester for the day a couple of months ago, throughout the city centre area there were still HUGE "COVID 19 - Please keep your distance", "COVID-19 - Keep 2m apart" signs all over the place on the streets. What the ....??!! These signs should have been taken down swiftly on 19th July LAST YEAR when this social distancing nonsense was finally scrapped!!!

I also remember going in a Sainsbury's in Manchester Piccadilly station and hearing a "You MUST wear a face covering" PA announcement! After hearing that I walked straight out again and didn't bother getting the sandwiches and snacks I intended to buy in there. I went in some other shop instead!

Surprised about still mask announcements in those branches of Tesco! Haven't heard any of those annoying PA announcements in any of the Tescos I've been in for months now. Though in one of the Bristol city centre branches they've still got a "Please keep your distance" sign at the queues to the checkouts! They could have easily taken this sign down over a year ago now!!

In the branch of Tesco in north Bristol I use sometimes during the week, most of the checkout staff STILL wear silly face masks, along with the perspex screens at the staffed checkouts. I went in there this morning to buy a can of Monster using the self checkouts. Energy drinks need approval from staff. When the voice on the checkout machine said "Assistance is coming.". The woman behind the counter said something to me. I couldn't hear a word she was saying because she was wearing a mask and behind the perspex screen! It was all muffly! I said "Excuse me?". She then took her mask off and said "Have you put it on the shelf?". I said "Yes.". She could see then that it needed approval. Why an earth these staff are still wearing masks and they've still got those perspex screens at the staff checkouts I really don't know! Absolutely bonkers!

I also note the checkout desks at Primark still have those silly perspex dividers between each checkout. You're basically in a checkout cubicle! What an earth is the point in this? When people are waiting in the queues(which can often be lengthy at times), no one is "socially distancing" any more as there's no point!

danm14

It appears that face coverings remain mandatory, with no recognition of exemptions, during driving tests in Northern Ireland. This is despite there being no legal basis for this requirement.

I do not believe this to be simply out of date, as it refers to a requirement for any other person (i.e. your instructor or another adult observing) sitting in on the test to wear one; but until very recently it was prohibited to have someone else sit in on the test.

The driving examiner carrying out your test will wear a face covering throughout the test.

You must also wear a face covering throughout the test and take it with you when you leave the driving test centre. Anyone who is with you on the test must also wear a face covering throughout the test whilst in the car.

The test will be cancelled if you refuse to wear a face covering.

By contrast, in England, Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland, face coverings are optional (albeit "strongly recommended" in the Republic of Ireland).

They are also mandatory during theory tests in Northern Ireland - despite these being outsourced to the same company, Pearson VUE, as in Great Britain - although for theory tests exemptions are recognised, with the caveat that you must declare the reason for your exemption to the DVA in advance, and may have your test moved to a different centre and/or the date/time of it changed if you have an exemption.

Last edited:

davews

Surely for spectacle wearers wearing masks while driving, whether in a test or otherwise, is one of the stupidest and unsafe things there is. Especially in a test where one may get flustered and hasten the misting up of glasses.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
Just wondering, is LNER still rattling on on their trains that we should still be wearing face masks/coverings??!! Or have they finally got the message and ditched this now after seeing that for months now hardly anyone is wearing these things?!
Nothing at all on LNER in my past couple of journeys. Probably about 10-15% of passengers wearing them voluntarily.

DustyBin

Established Member
Surely for spectacle wearers wearing masks while driving, whether in a test or otherwise, is one of the stupidest and unsafe things there is. Especially in a test where one may get flustered and hasten the misting up of glasses.

Agreed.

Nothing at all on LNER in my past couple of journeys. Probably about 10-15% of passengers wearing them voluntarily.

I travelled with LNER yesterday and the TM announced that passengers were “welcome to wear a mask when seated or moving around the train”. Fair enough, but why even mention it?

danm14

And even aside from the general possibility of the mask causing the fogging up of glasses, more generally it is important to focus on driving while driving, and not on whether your glasses are about to fog up unexpectedly.

Although it seems that driving testers in the Republic of Ireland have been actively requiring candidates to focus on (vaguely) Covid-related things rather than on safely driving their car, as evidenced by some of the complaints received about driving tests:
One person complained he had told his tester he had asthma and might need to cough because he had recently changed inhalers, causing irritation to his throat. "I was advised that if I coughed at any stage, the test would be over immediately."
Another individual complained their tester said if their face mask slipped “a little bit from my nose” while driving, the test would be ended.
Another learner driver who failed said their car was hot and “very uncomfortable” because the tester said the hot air de-misters had to be kept on to prevent the windows fogging up because the back windows had to be kept open due to Covid-19.
One complainant said the tester seemed to have prejudged the test when they spotted a small stain on the driver’s seat as the car was supposed to be “spotless”. "The tester was clearly taking it too far. I was complying with all Covid precautions as I had just Hoovered and sanitised the car and it was simply a mark on the seat.”

greyman42

Established Member
I travelled with LNER yesterday and the TM announced that passengers were “welcome to wear a mask when seated or moving around the train”. Fair enough, but why even mention it?
I think there must be the odd individual who just can't let it drop as i have not heard any covid announcements on LNER for what seems a couple of months.

DustyBin

Established Member
I think there must be the odd individual who just can't let it drop as i have not heard any covid announcements on LNER for what seems a couple of months.

Yes they’re generally much better these days. I’m on an LNER service now and there’s been no mention of masks I’m pleased to say!

johnnychips

Established Member
A lot of Doncaster First buses still had ‘masks must be worn’ on their destination displays, or at least they did a few weeks ago. I would put this down to nobody being bothered to change them rather than a zeal for mask-wearing.

johnnychips

Established Member
I tried to remove some of the ‘stand 2m apart’ stuff at my place of work and they seen superglued. Perhaps that’s why so many are still extant.

johntea

Established Member
Just purchased a cinema ticket at the Vue self service machine and it asked for mandatory test and trace contact details! (Name/Email/Phone)

At least they’ll be able to trace 007 James Bond now should they need to ;)

johnnychips

Established Member
Yeah, but he’ll be able to say “the name’s Bond - James Bond - and here is my COVID vaccination certificate”. Then shag them without a condom anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.