• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should ÖBB consider reviving other Night Trains cancelled by DB/SBB while expanding night train services

Should Zurich-Rome/Barcelona, sleeper trains to Copenhagen and EN Jan Kiepura be restored?

• Yes

Votes: 37 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
A few years ago, when I was travelling on a Euronight from Münich to Ljubljana, the same train also included NightJet coaches destined for Venice (I think it was Venice), which suggests that collaboration with local railways is a part of how NightJet works

Likewise I've joined a HZ-run EN sleeper in Zagreb, and by the time that I'd woken up and was passing Sargans there was a NJ portion on the train, with an SBB loco on the front.

There are a number of cases where NJ and EN services run combined for part of the route.
These can be found by scrutinising:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
I heard that Zürich - Barcelona will be introduced in December 2024, but what about Zürich - Rome?

D365

Veteran Member
Snälltåget operate one service, but I thought the other was an SJ EuroNight train - just that they have contracted operation within Germany to RDC. The SJ service has locomotive changes at Padborg and Malmö, whereas the Snälltåget train has one change of loco (at Padborg).
This is correct - I travelled on the EuroNight Hamburg-Stockholm in October 2023. Unfortunately I don’t remember where the locomotive changes took place, as I was fast asleep!

I heard that Zürich - Barcelona will be introduced in December 2024, but what about Zürich - Rome?
AFAIK, that were the plans but they're on hold now.
Which sleeper is ”on hold”?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
While Nightjet is primarily an austrian operation, many of their routes are in cooperation with other operators; for example:
Amsterdam-Innsbrück/Wien in cooperation with NS (who provide traction on the Amsterdam-Köln leg, and all the way to Wien for some services)
Amsterdam-Basel/Zürich in cooperation with SBB (who provide seated coaches), NS (who provide traction on the leg from Amsterdam) and possibly DB?

A few years ago, when I was travelling on a Euronight from Münich to Ljubljana, the same train also included NightJet coaches destined for Venice (I think it was Venice), which suggests that collaboration with local railways is a part of how NightJet works

When I used the Zurich-Prague sleeper a few years back, the train in the platform in Zurich had rolling stock from at least 3 countries - it included services to Vienna and Budapest. (I can't now remember whether it was the same Zurich departure which also included carriages for Zagreb too; there were multiple eastbound overnight departures from Zurich in the evening.)

nwales58

NJ does feel in parts a little bit like a bubble - sleeper trains probably aren't, but logistically I'm not sure if it's particularly efficient for one company based out of Austria to manage the majority of Europe's long-distance sleepers alone
Current enthusiasm may well be a bubble. But price/supply and demand will eventually reach equilibrium.

How efficient is it for one company based in Dublin or Budapest to run the majority of Europe's point-point aviation?

rvdborgt

Veteran Member
That's what can happen in a referendum. I googled a bit and found that SBB says it's because of the revised CO2 law that was turned down in a referendum:
Googling a bit further, a revised law was approved last autumn, but I haven't been able to find the contents. Perhaps our member @bahnause could help?

bahnause

Googling a bit further, a revised law was approved last autumn, but I haven't been able to find the contents. Perhaps our member @bahnause could help?
Not a lot of news there. The law comes into effect 2025. Between 2025 and 2030 180 Million CHF will be provided for "international cross-border passenger traffic". How this money will be used is not clear to me.