• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I make a complaint or just leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluelesslady

Last saturday I was at the Inverurie Station to try and board a train to go to Aberdeen. I am Profoundly deaf. Before I set off to the station, I checked online to see if the trains were running due to the snow, the website said yes. So I went to the station.
Was waiting for the 11.35am to aberdeen but the 11am train from Inverness was delayed until 11.30am. When The Inverness train came , it was absolutely full up, no one could really get on so I was thinking Okay the next train is here in few mins. Looked at the tv screen saying it was cancelled. I didnt know what to do as I am profoundly deaf, i had to wait for the crowd to lessen so I could ask the train station clerk what was going on. He said train got cancelled, next one was at 12.47pm, and he couldn't guarantee anything. I thought oh okay come back at that time. Went back at 12.45pm, train was delayed again by half hour so I waited. then at 1.15pm an announcement came on over the speakers, I had my hearing aids, i could hear the speakers but no idea what it said , it just was noises to me and the other passengers all suddenly moved to other platform. I had no idea what going on so i followed them in case it was saying that it was coming at that platform. The train did come on that platform! (the ticket office was shut as the clerk locked up at 11.45am when the times of opening states it should stay open until 2.15pm so I couldnt ask for confirmation or anything from clerk).

My point is that There is NO deaf awareness at small train stations and everything is done by speakers, you have to press this or that to get information or ask for help through speakers but what if I was on my own, i wouldnt be able to get anything. I am fed up of this as I am left at times not knowing what to do or what is going on. It can be scary. Should i make an complaint to scotrail to try and get them to provide better service for the deaf people?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Don't complain, just email or ring suggesting that they look for improved services on stations for deaf people. I am not aware if SR has installed electronic (or even speaking) help points on their stations, but they can be of assistance. Most of the time staff will be there to help, or deaf people ring up the relevant TOC to make prior arrangements for their journey, or have a person who has good hearing there to help them, so like I say, don't complain, just explain your situation to them, and suggests the ways that you think stations and services could be improved for deaf people.

cluelesslady

There was a help point but for me it is no good as you have to press a button to hear the information or for assistance. I cant hear words at all, so it is useless to me. Sometimes there are no one there on platform that can help me. The opening hours of the office on that station is from 7.30am to 2.15pm but on this case , it was shut at 11.45am, so I cant get any information or ask for assistance. I also sometimes use the station to catch trains that come after 2.15pm so I am having to rely on the tv screens to tell me what is going on and sometimes that is not reliable.
Just because I have hearing aids on doesn't mean i can hear what the announcments are saying, it is just nonsense noise to me. I just know when it is on that all.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think you should contact Scotrail, and let them know of the difficulties you face, not as a complaint and not just during snow disruption, but every time you make a journey. That way, it becomes less confrontational and also does not allow them to treat you as just another victim of the adverse weather. To me, the snow and disruption just highlights how difficult it is for you and others who cannot hear.

Scotrail may well be interested in your experiences, and any suggestions that you have for improvements. There may be grant money available for improvements in various places that are related to improving the experiences of people with disabilities, my own business has benefitted from such grants in the past (before I bought it), but I am not sure what sort of improvements could be made. In cases like this, the views of people who need extra help are extremely valuable.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yeah, some help points have screens (like small, small, small TV-like monitors), some are just boxes. Apart from having platform staff (the closets stations like that to you are at a guess Aberdeen and Inverness) there really is little possible solution (for a station of Inverurie's size/usage) for problems that you unfortunately have to face every time you go there. The only possible solution may be upgrading the CIS screens to a better standard with more information, but aside from that, unfortunately, little can be done.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure soemthing can be done with the modern technology now available. Why not a text phone or SMS service?

asylumxl

Established Member
I would agree with the other posters, you should word your correspondence as a suggestion. Make all the problems you experienced clear and give them detail on the effect they had on you. I would be tempted to put something in about the issues you faced discouraging you from using their services (whether or not you have other options).

Also, I'm not sure if FSR is paying compensation due to current conditions, but this may be of interest to you:

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/aboutus/passenger-charter/view-chapter6b57.html

Geezertronic

Established Member
You're certainly not clueless :) but I agree with other posters. Unless you express your grievance (in the correct way), the Train Operating Company would be non the wiser.

The problem with some people is that they will stamp their feet over something relatively trivial. Your scenario is not trivial and should not be treated as such.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . there really is little possible solution (for a station of Inverurie's size/usage) for problems that you unfortunately have to face every time you go there. The only possible solution may be upgrading the CIS screens to a better standard with more information, but aside from that, unfortunately, little can be done.
Not so.
There are small 'personal' induction loops available in a variety of shapes and sizes, quite often found in offices at reception desks and on bank counters, where hearing-aid users benefit from using the "T" position of their hearing aid. These can be installed into existing help-points, how easy that is would depend on the construction of the help-point.
(There are even portable 'loops' which are built into a clip board and are meant to be carried by front line staff who may also have papers to carry with them).

Even if induction loops weren't effective for cluelesslady, the OP, (and I would hope they were), they would benefit many others.

I fully agree with others here that a strong suggestion to ScotRail that personal induction loops should be considered for passenger information purposes and at help-points in all stations would be of VITAL assistance to many passengers and would assist them in meeting their oligations under the DDA.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I would get in touch with Scotrail and tell then, nicely about what happended. It looksl ike thye have a service which might be of use to you. Follow this link: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/specialneeds/index.html and in particluar the section dealing with the Assisted Travel Text Relay service.

Perhaps also get in touch with RIND (Link here: http://www.rnid.org.uk/ ) and let them know about the problems you faced.

Established Member
I fully agree with others here that a strong suggestion to ScotRail that personal induction loops should be considered for passenger information purposes and at help-points in all stations would be of VITAL assistance to many passengers and would assist them in meeting their oligations under the DDA.

I think they already have some, as there appears to be something along those lines at Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk Grahamston, Camelon and Larbert. I'll try and get photos of them on friday or saturday on my way home.

cluelesslady

Thank you all for your replies. I will send an email making suggestions of how they could make it easier for the deaf passengers that use train stations that are not always staffed or limited information going out.

I can't use the Text Relay service as I don't have an actual phone at home at present. At the minute I tend to use emails to contact companies or ask my family to phone on my behalf but they all do work so not is always handy to ask them to phone on my behalf.

The loop is useless to me as It doesn't help me hear any better. It is all just noises to me. A poster suggested a SMS service where someone could text and get all updated information would be fabulous really as to know if a train is coming or not would be handy for me.

I have same problem with buses too as I stood in the snow for a hour waiting for a bus to the city and not knowing what was going on and the only contact they had was a telephone number to find out an update which was again useless to me.

I am used to having difficulty in my life as deafness is something that is not promoted enough like other disabilities in my opinion but when it seriously affect me in my life like attempting to travel then that is when it annoys me.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I would get onto one of the chraities in this area as well - they have a great deal of clout and might be able t ohelp you get things done & chnaged to help other people.

Death

Established Member
A poster suggested a SMS service where someone could text and get all updated information would be fabulous really as to know if a train is coming or not would be handy for me...
National Rail Enquiries run a service called TrainTracker Text, which can be used for obtaining live running information via any SMS enabled mobile phone. An info page and online demo can be found Here. <D
Texts are charged at 25p each, possibly in addition to your standard network charge. However; If you are registered deaf, I believe you might be elegible for a discount or waiving of those fees - Contact your mobile provider for more info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.