• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should OAPs and Disabled get free train travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just thinking should OAPs and Disabled get free train travel (like they get free bus travel with their ENCTS pass)? In both Ireland and Northern Ireland OAPs and Disabled get unlimited free train travel (as well as tram and bus). Personally i think it could be a good idea to bring this to trains in England / Wales / Scotland to help more people get out and about especially as more and more bus services keep getting withdrawn every year (especially in smaller villages). I would be interested to know what others think of this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If fares for everyone else are increased to pay for it, certainly not. Otherwise, I think it could be a good idea in more rural areas with a limited bus service.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Absolutely not. I'd scrap all cheap and free fares for both categories on any form of transport.

My one son who had various parts removed by the Taliban would be disgusted and patronised and totally against such a barmy idea.

Last edited:

Andyjs247

It could be a good idea where there is sufficient off-peak capacity. But not if trains are already rammed. I can't see a national scheme being workable I'm afraid.

Trog

Established Member
A lot of rural areas do not have a train service, as the trains were replaced by buses as part of the Beeching Axe.

Holly

I am just thinking should OAPs and Disabled get free train travel (like they get free bus travel with their ENCTS pass)? In both Ireland and Northern Ireland OAPs and Disabled get unlimited free train travel (as well as tram and bus). Personally i think it could be a good idea to bring this to trains in England / Wales / Scotland to help more people get out and about especially as more and more bus services keep getting withdrawn every year (especially in smaller villages). I would be interested to know what others think of this?
It's totally a political matter.
It comes down to whether you view public transport as a service to society.
Or as a money-making enterprise.

You will never get consensus agreement as to which.
But, in the words of Harry Perkins "We are all first class".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Disabled - maybe. OAP - sorry if this is harsh, but why should I pay for their travel just because they've managed not to die?
Well, if - unlike them - you have managed to die (since writing the post) then you won't have to pay for their travel. Fair enough?

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Well, if - unlike them - you have managed to die (since writing the post) then you won't have to pay for their travel. Fair enough?
The point I'm trying to make is that there's nothing 'special' about managing to live to 65 that automatically entitles them to free (read paid for by working age people) transport. Benefits should be need-based, not age based.

Johnuk123

Established Member
The point I'm trying to make is that there's nothing 'special' about managing to live to 65 that automatically entitles them to free (read paid for by working age people) transport. Benefits should be need-based, not age based.

Giving all disabled people free travel is not need based at all as all disabled people aren't poverty stricken in fact a hell of a lot are very well off.
Disabled doesn't mean poor and it's patronising to suggest otherwise.

najaB

Veteran Member
Giving all disabled people free travel is not need based at all as all disabled people aren't poverty stricken in fact a hell of a lot are very well off.
Disabled doesn't mean poor and it's patronising to suggest otherwise.
I never did. Read my first post again.

trainmania100

Established Member
Yes they should but only during off peak times.

I have some slight rheumatoid arthritis and Im only 19 and you should see the 9am bus it's packed with elderly it would be terrible if that was a train id hate to stand for hours

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes they should but only during off peak times.

I have some slight rheumatoid arthritis and Im only 19 and you should see the 9am bus it's packed with elderly it would be terrible if that was a train id hate to stand for hours

Why should it be free though?

trainmania100

Established Member
Why should it be free though?

Maybe the same reason as bus travel is free :P
To help the disabled get where they need to go easier. It's often quite a rush at some times buying a ticket and catching a train somewhere

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Concessionary travel for OAPs, whether it be bus, train, tokens or whatever else, should be means tested, in my opinion. As said above, some OAPs are very wealthy indeed, others live in near poverty. The same test should apply to winter fuel allowances and other additional benefits also. Quite frankly, there is no need or justification to ply people with freebies when they are well able to afford it themselves. Such handouts should be reserved only for the needy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would say that all-modes concessionary travel in a limited local area (not purely by County, but a specified area that includes places they are likely to need to go for basic life essentials, which will necessarily be larger in rural areas than cities) is better than single-mode national travel. Offering only bus travel is abstractive - local Councils are forced to pay for bus services competing unnecessarily with rail services.

PaulLothian

A few Scottish local authorities do have concessionary rail travel. Our local council's scheme gives flat rate travel within the council area, and into Edinburgh, and North and South Lanarkshire, with half rate fares to some further destinations, such as Glasgow. It is slightly erratic - we can't get concessionary travel to Stirling, which is relatively closer. May be a deliberate policy in terms of reducing traffic congestion?

The flat rate single fare doubled last year to £2. All these fares are off peak.

Haven't checked recently but there was previously quite a range of ways of addressing the issue. I think Fife allowed travel in the council area only, and ex-Strathclyde councils allowed about ten miles per ticket.

najaB

Veteran Member
The flat rate single fare doubled last year to £2. All these fares are off peak.
That seems reasonable as it's probably close to the actual marginal cost of carrying one more passenger on an off-peak train seat that would likely otherwise be empty.

fowler9

Established Member
Perhaps the elderly and disabled should be means tested, this of course also costs money.

Mugby

Established Member
Absolutely not. As far as bus travel is concerned, large numbers of OAPs spend their days riding round on buses not for any valid reason, simply because it's free. Bona fide passengers are either left behind or have to stand because of this.

If the same concession was applied to train travel, loadings would be impossible, XC services for example simply couldn't cope with a sudden influx of vast numbers of OAPs.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Who is actually funding this ? - the problem with the bus scheme is that the reimbursement due to the operators now comes from the local councils, who were never given enough funding to reimburse in line with the agreements.

Antman

Established Member
It is not only harsh but very offensive.

Only if you're looking to be offended :roll:

Surely parts of the network just wouldn't be able to cope with the likely increased passenger load?

fowler9

Established Member
You see this is the whole problem with modern society, if you can't afford it then you can sit in your sordid little grief hole and rot. It completely ignores the cost of mental and other illnesses in people who in many cases have worked all their lives but can't afford to get out and about. This "I'm alright so why aren't you? It must be your fault." attitude seems to be pervasive.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There are other areas where OAPs get free train travel - in London for instance, after 9.30 a.m. weekdays and at any time weekends, BUT only for those with London residence. When I visit London, I get free bus travel but have to pay for tube/train/tram so scarcely get any benefit, as I reach the daily Oyster cap.

Clip

Established Member
I am all for those who are disabled to a certain extent(wheelchair, blind, and other severe disability's) to get free travel and a carer to get around a 75% discount to let them get about the country as we do I think its the one thing the railway should do with those with other not so severe disabilitys having the same discount they have now.

Rapidash

Sure, if it's means tested. You can make the bus pass means tested whilst your at it. And give everyone who will subsidise it a national rail card as well.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Easy solution to help all of these people and more who need to get around but find it difficult: reduce fares for everyone.

PeterC

Established Member
As far as bus travel is concerned, large numbers of OAPs spend their days riding round on buses not for any valid reason, simply because it's free.
Round here they spend all day in the library waiting for the once in a blue moon bus home from the shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.