• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter Driver, Battersea (Southern)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc

Update: just received email, my MMi is on 11th July so looks like MMI is in fact next

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’ll be totally honest without sounding big headed, I found the tests relatively easy compare to what I was expecting.

Dot test - dots are nicely spaced apart, just practice those mock tests in the sticky and train your mind to recognise the patterns of 4 dots. Stay calm and move quickly but accurately and you’ll be fine.

GLOP TEST- memorise the page of info, listen to the tape and then read through the passage of info and use your 5 mins wisely.
Pick out key info, numbers, colours, ignore the fluff info and the multiple choice QS are very obvious.

Dials: again very straight forward. Prioritise the colour segments first, only if two dials are
In the same colour segment even bother to look at the number data

Break

Lift counting tones. Very simple, 3 example exercises before hand will make sure you know exactly what to do. Probably the easiest test.

Phone book search: IGNORE ALL WRITING, your only task is to circle the symbols at the end of each column whenever there are two matching symbols.

Search + tones: focus on tones and you have a quick break between the next set of tones so use this time again to circle the symbols again IGNORE all writing, the plumber thing means nothing it’s irrelevant, every one in the book is a plumber. Symbols only!

DFFT: use the practise material they send you, he gave us very detailed 3 example questions before the test, as long as you understand and can do the 3rd example then the actual test won’t be any harder. FYI I managed 11Questions (I believe we’re all correct)

Lunch

Computer tests:
Blinking grey square: can’t really practise but my advice is the square blinks, but it won’t be grey and then blink and suddenly be black, it will always be grey as it appears and then will transform into black so this change is quite simple to pick up. Another helpful tip, the normal square is dull, as it turns into a shiny laminate tv surround black colour hit that green button!

Traffic scenes: they flash up for roughly one second, I found this the hardest as I was unsure if I’d picked everything, Cars, bikes, people, are very obvious it’s the road signs and traffic lights to watch out for.

2 hand test: if you play computer games this should be a breeze, the sticks are super sensitive but you get a practise in your own time to complete so don’t just use it to go round the track on the screen, move that red dot all over the place until you feel like you can control it easily. I sped through the track on the straights and only really came off on the bendy bit but just get straight back on and you’ll be fine.

FYI only two of us made it through to afternoon and we both passed the computer tests.
Hi,

How does the GLOP test work exactly? Do you listen first then have 5 minutes to read the sheet after whilst having paper to take notes?

Thanks

cc

Hi,

How does the GLOP test work exactly? Do you listen first then have 5 minutes to read the sheet after whilst having paper to take notes?

Thanks

He gives you the sheet, then the audio reads out the exact text. Then you get 5 more mins to keep reading through and take notes if you want. Then the notes and everything’s taken away for 5 mins and then you get the multiple choice questions. During the 5 mins
I just sat there and kept recalling the info in my head

He gives you the sheet, then the audio reads out the exact text. Then you get 5 more mins to keep reading through and take notes if you want. Then the notes and everything’s taken away for 5 mins and then you get the multiple choice questions. During the 5 mins
I just sat there and kept recalling the info in my head
Thanks for that

amateugraphy

Hi, is there any additional competency based questions in MMI other than what we answered briefly for 6 questions?
Also are we able to change our answers or do we need to explain in details what we wrote on the paper?
Thanks.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, is there any additional competency based questions in MMI other than what we answered briefly for 6 questions?
Also are we able to change our answers or do we need to explain in details what we wrote on the paper?
Thanks.
You’ll be asked to expand if only the six you have answers to. Reading your post it sounds like you have written the answers down and will come back at a later date for the actual interview?

amateugraphy

You’ll be asked to expand if only the six you have answers to. Reading your post it sounds like you have written the answers down and will come back at a later date for the actual interview?
Well, yes. For the MMI they requested from me to write brief answers for 6 compentency based questions. I will expect them to be asked during the interview for sure. The only concern that I have are there any additional questions?

cc

Currently trying to recall what my mmi questions are that I wrote brief answers for
So I can revise. I know 4 but my mind
Is running blank for the other 2. Anyone pm
Me with any advice

Quin79

Dot test
TRP 1&2

Break

DFFT
TEA-occ

Lunch

Answer 6 questions for the MMI (Brief answers)
Computer tests

DMI and MMI are on separate days after the assessment.

DMI first then MMI.

If you fail any part if this assessment then it costs you 1 of your 2 lives sadly.

DMI does not cost you a life.

MMI does.

Hope this helps :)
How does the DFFT compare to the practice stuff they send out? Got my assessment next week

Status
Not open for further replies.