• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal upgrade set to modernise Cornwall’s railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
So now that lostwithiel to Truro is on Exeter panel, when will apps like traksy begin showing trains?

The Railcam (and Freightmaster!) maps were fully updated to show the new data for train
movements and signal aspects west of Liskeard this morning - if anyone wants a 'sneak peak'
at the Freightmaster map of the area (seven days access free of charge), send me a PM...

MARK

takno

Established Member
So now that lostwithiel to Truro is on Exeter panel, when will apps like tracsy begin showing trains?
Traksy might get updated tomorrow. Depends if I have time and can figure out the details

jyte

Huh, I'm guessing Liskeard signal box is staying. Why did I think that was closing?

I think it's funny to think trains will go Plymouth PSB->Liskeard->Cornwall Workstation (at Exeter!)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Huh, I'm guessing Liskeard signal box is staying. Why did I think that was closing?

I think it's funny to think trains will go Plymouth PSB->Liskeard->Cornwall Workstation (at Exeter!)
If I'm correct the following are staying:

Penzance
St Erth
Roskear Junction
St Blazey
Goonbarrow Junction
Liskeard

We still have the lovely array of semaphores at St Erth to admire!

jyte

It makes sense (to me, at least!) to keep Roskear as it's such a 'new' panel. I wonder if it's also a convenient interface between St Erth (bells/absolute block) and the new Cornwall workstation (axle counters/train description). Anyone know more?

I presume they do somewhere, but do any IECC workstations interface directly with lever frame/absolute block signalling? I would love to see what that looks like on a LCD monitor!

Goldfish62

Established Member
It makes sense (to me, at least!) to keep Roskear as it's such a 'new' panel. I wonder if it's also a convenient interface between St Erth (bells/absolute block) and the new Cornwall workstation (axle counters/train description). Anyone know more?

I presume they do somewhere, but do any IECC workstations interface directly with lever frame/absolute block signalling? I would love to see what that looks like on a LCD monitor!
From April 2022 until last month Basingstoke ROC interfaced with Wokingham box.

The Puddock

Edinburgh IECC workstation 7 fringes to mechanical boxes at Cupar and Hilton Junction, although the fringes are both Track Circuit Block.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Edinburgh IECC workstation 7 fringes to mechanical boxes at Cupar and Hilton Junction, although the fringes are both Track Circuit Block.
Actually, that was also true of Wokingham - mechanical, but track circuit block.

Gloster

Established Member

There is no technical reason why an IECC can’t interface with a box working Absolute Block in the other direction. One possible reason is the life expectancy of the equipment: that at the recently closed boxes may have been near life-expired, while west Cornwall’s three boxes have a bit of life left in them so aren’t an urgent priority.

Additionally, at Roskear you have the nature of the roads at the level-crossings, which might place restrictions on what system replaces the box. Stray Park Road comes down at an angle and Carnarthen Street is round a blind corner.

Gloster

Established Member
Where an AB box interfaces with an IECC, the track circuits will start outside of the box so that the signalman sees the taillight as it passes the box and knows the train is complete when coming from the AB section. The most fundamental consideration. Otherwise, it is some form of direct communication to indicate train description and for emergency signals. (They have probably moved on from the clicking telephone dial train-describers and repurposed block bells that I used.)

takno

Established Member
What does Yeovil pen mill interface to? Thames valley?
Westbury, which is a pretty basic panel

Traksy might get updated tomorrow. Depends if I have time and can figure out the details
I've done the first stage of the updates on traksy, which is the main line in cornwall. Still need to do Devon and Falmouth branch, but we're just getting towards Carlstad, and I've never been on the line between here and Stockholm before, so it's time to look out of the window...

Eoch

Westbury, which is a pretty basic panel

I've done the first stage of the updates on traksy, which is the main line in cornwall. Still need to do Devon and Falmouth branch, but we're just getting towards Carlstad, and I've never been on the line between here and Stockholm before, so it's time to look out of the window...
Remember the signal aspects.

Tomnick

Established Member

Manchester East works AB to Dinting...

Most fringes to mechanical boxes are rather more mundane.

LowLevel

Established Member
Manchester East works AB to Dinting...

Most fringes to mechanical boxes are rather more mundane.
And of course Worksop to Elmton and Creswell/Shirebrook and various others!

I like the installations where they have ancient block instruments sat on a desk around a computer most :lol:

rower40

Leeds North-West Workstation (at York, controlling Skipton inter alia) fringes with Hellifield.

jyte

Gloster

Established Member
Westbury,Basingstoke and No Signalman Token to Maiden Newton.

Maiden Newton box closed in 1988 and the section from Yeovil became No Signalman Key Token supervised by Pen Mill and a variety of traincrew-operated Tokenless block thence to Dorchester, but supervised by Pen Mill. I am not sure if that is still the situation. I have a feeling that Dorchester South has remained, and still controls Weymouth and cooperates with Pen Mill, but I am not certain.