• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

signaller interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdbaggett

Hi, sorry if this has been asked a million times before just trying to prepare as much as i can.

I have a panel interview for a signaller role this week and was wondering if any one had any advice or idea of the questions i will be asked in the interview.

From reading about the general advice is to read up a bit on network rail, their core values, the key areas from the information booklet and to have a bit of general knowledge of the signaller role.

Does any one else have anything to add that might help me secure a position with the company or specific questions i will be asked, any thing at all will help as i really really want to be offered the job :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
What location you gone for buddy?

The biggest thing is to read up on the 8 non technical skills they love so much! If you need help finding them drop me a PM

pdbaggett

Hi, the box is in redcar although they said there are 2 other boxes with vacancies. Already had the interview it went well i though so fingers crossed i read up on the 8 skills quite well before hand so didnt really have any problems with any questions hope i did enought to get offered a position.

Bluejuice

Best of luck to you! Just got an offer for signaller role 2 days ago. Taken me nearly 2 years to get into the industry. Completely over the moon. Persistence is the key my friend. Never give up and follow that dream.

Viku1980

Hello Blue Juice and pdbaggett. I have my panel interview lined up next week. I would appreciate any sort of help to prepare me for this interview. Congratulations Blue juice.

carriageline

Established Member
What position you gone for Vicku? Biggest thing is to read up on the 8 non technical skills as you will be asked a question on each one. If you have any problems drop me a PM

Bluejuice

Defo go with 8 Non Technical Skills and think of any role in life which helps to illustrate that. Be yourself and If you get interviewed by a panel that were friendly like mine....accept a cup of tea if offered :)

pdbaggett

Just the usual advice really dress smart, smile a lot and be polite.

like every one has said just read up on the 8 non tech skills as this is basically what the entire interview will revolve around, mine only lasted 30 minutes if you have an answer and a situation for each questions is does not take long, just try and relate all of the key words from the 8 skills into your answer word for word its not to hard to do it in practise.

read up on the box you are applying for, and be prepared to answer "what do you know about the role/what a signaller does" but they didnt seem to want a very indepth answer i think it was just to check that you know what the job entails and you didnt just apply on a whim.

try and ask questions at the end of the interview about positions avalible in other boxes as they seemed to open up a bit more when i asked about other positions and dont be afraid to let them know you are the right person for the job.

that said i still have not heard back from my interview so i might not have a position any way but i think my advice would be sound regardless.

I think more than any thing at the end of the day if you get offered a position or not probally boils down to if the managers interviewing you liked your personality more than anything.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
how long did it take everyone else to find out if they were successful or not after the interview?

TomBoyd

After the interview it shouldn't be that long. That said, that'll depend on how many candidates they have. I heard about my first job within a few days.

Having said that... It took several months after my internal interview to get my current role, and two months after THAT to hear from my other internal interview (which was only the day after the other)

The only thing I'd add to the above advice is: If you can, go see the box. Arrange a visit. It will put you over the edge. It's why I lost out in my first interview, and is how I landed my first box.

Ask HR for an email address, otherwise, find out the LOMs name and have a try emailing them directly.

Viku1980

"read up on the box you are applying for, and "

Pardon my Ignorance pdbaggett, but what does this entail ??:roll:

Thank you Guys for your help

Viku1980

Internal carriageline. I did send you a private message which in actual fact is not private, I couldnt figure out how to send it, perhaps. Would u be kind enough to share ur email address and I would Mail you ? Many thanks in advance

pdbaggett

So my interview was on the 10th and i still have not heard any thing... so time to start calling the hr department or is this usual for network rail or should i start to assume i did not get a job offer lol.

TomBoyd

You will find out either way, they are good about that.

They are not good about timings. It took them 3 months to let me know about 1 job, and 6 months for another!

What box was it?

pdbaggett

It was for redcar box. do they only communicate job offers through email or would it be a phone call from the LOM who interviewed me? I cant help but think at this point perhaps they have let the people know who they want for the role personally and are leaving the rejection duties to HR who will get around to it when they get around to it type affair.

Last edited:

carriageline

Established Member
To be completely honest, it could literally go either way. I have found out i didn't get jobs 2 days after interviews, and found out I was successful 4-5 months after! There is so many variables at play

pdbaggett

To be completely honest, it could literally go either way. I have found out i didn't get jobs 2 days after interviews, and found out I was successful 4-5 months after! There is so many variables at play

well thats slightly more reassuring, guess ill still keep my fingers crossed then haha:p

Bluejuice

I would have to agree with above comments. twice I received an email with a no. Then received a phone call completely out of the blue giving me a yes. Best of luck to you!

Lddex

Some good advice on here. I have a interview coming up too so this has proved useful. I have also read somewhere about going to look at the box. Would you guys say this is important or is it just best to look for the 8 core skills.

Thanks in advanced.

pdbaggett

got a phone call on monday offering me a position :b over the moon, just need to wait for a start date for signalling school now.

Lddex i never went to look at the box but i would have if i had been able to, was working 12 hour shifts when i found out about the interview and only had a few days to the date. But i would advise you to try and go see it at the end of the day its not going to go against you and could only help really.

with that said they where more interested in the 8 core skills, however, i had researched what a signaller actually does, the shifts, the training ect a lot and they commented in the interview it was clear i had done the research so it pays to read up as much as you can.

Last edited:

Lddex

got a phone call on monday offering me a position :b over the moon, just need to wait for a start date for signalling school now.

That's great news, well done.

I'm doing all I can to research and plan. Does anyone know how you go about arranging a site visit?

pdbaggett

That's great news, well done.

I'm doing all I can to research and plan. Does anyone know how you go about arranging a site visit?

You couod ring hr and ask for the local area managers number or email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.