• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling a train into the wrong platform where there's no room - is this classed as an operational incident?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I have seen an incidence of trains left off the platform - a few years ago at Huddersfield (back when Northern still ran the stopper via Dewsbury). An ex Bradford and ex via Dewsbury joined up at Huddersfield to form a 4 car 158 for the last service via Dewsbury.
2 car comes in from Bradford and I had a funny feeling it wasn't far enough down p4 (the whole lot was unoccupied at the time) but presumed someone with greater knowledge than I would know something I didn't. The other 2 car comes in and comes up close to the existing unit, leaving a coach hanging off over the barrow crossing!

From memory, in the end, the two sets were coupled and shunted down the platform ready to form the last service which I believe was delayed a few mins. The driver had a lot of back and forth up and down the platform though, speaking to the signaller on the SPT!

scotraildriver

Established Member
If I receive a position light when being signalled into a platform I ring the signaller to confirm the available platform length for my unit. Every time.
Crikey. Imagine if we all did that at Edinburgh or Glasgow Queen St/Central the delays would be horrific! Just about every other train is signalled with permissive working.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
You can't blame the driver. The purpose of a calling signal signal is to inform the driver the platform ahead is already occupied so drive the train to stop short of an obstruction.

Seems to me just an operating incident that you want to avoid but one of those things that occasionally happen. Of course when signallers could look at the box window and see what was going on they may have had better knowledge rather than sitting remotely in a front of a VDU.
If its a 12 car platform, and the calling on signal will clear if there's a 8 car or less in the platform, the driver should not be accepting the signal if they have 9 or more cars on. If they have more than 4 cars on, then a lot of drivers will query the calling on.
But a 12 car train will definitely not fit in a 12 car platform if there's already a train in it

dk1

Veteran Member
If I receive a position light when being signalled into a platform I ring the signaller to confirm the available platform length for my unit. Every time.
But that’s just not realistic when it happens to us drivers who do it sometimes several times a day & for the poor signaller on the other end.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
But that’s just not realistic when it happens to us drivers who do it sometimes several times a day & for the poor signaller on the other end.
Which is why Signallers frequently signal trains into empty platforms, preferring to leave trains queued up outside the station than use the platform space economically

DoubleO

I can understand that and I'll freely admit that it doesn't happen to me that often. However, whilst we have the culture of the driver basically taking a portion of the blame for pretty much every incident, I'll do what I need to do to cover my backside.....and if that creates a slight delay or annoys the signaller then so be it....

dk1

Veteran Member
I can understand that and I'll freely admit that it doesn't happen to me that often. However, whilst we have the culture of the driver basically taking a portion of the blame for pretty much every incident, I'll do what I need to do to cover my backside.....and if that creates a slight delay or annoys the signaller then so be it....
Happened to me a few weeks ago & never heard another thing about it. It’s only I’d say the third time in 23 years I’ve been routed into a platform that I don’t fit. Only thing that annoyed me was it was my last bit of a long jog Grrrr!!

DoubleO

Happened to me a few weeks ago & never heard another thing about it. It’s only I’d say the third time in 23 years I’ve been routed into a platform that I don’t fit. Only thing that annoyed me was it was my last bit of a long jog Grrrr!!
That's good to hear.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Signallers signal trains into the platform specified in the station docker, rather than on an ad hoc basis as takes their fancy.
Yes, of course they do, even when there's a train in the platform that shouldn't be there according to the station docker

Yes, of course they do, even when there's a train in the platform that shouldn't be there according to the station docker
Because everything always runs on time and as booked

Established Member
It depends on the scenario. If it’s a through service and they’ve been put on top of something the driver would have to take some responsibility.

Indeed. Or if the length of your train is such that it’s impossible to go in on top of something else. There are scenarios where you’d be expected to query getting the dummy.

Need2

It may not be realistic and at my toc it rarely, if ever happens but That is why we have been told to always contact the signaller to ask what is already occupying the platform.
I would do it as a matter of course even if I wasn’t specifically requested to do so.
Everyone can and will make mistakes, I will try not to compound one!

100% agree

zwk500

Veteran Member

It's also about minimising overall delay, for example by not trapping a train on the buffers by stacking a unit in front of it and causing a set swap at the last minute. When things have gone wrong, there isn't always a perfect answer.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Although most are able conscientious (good) signallers are able to adapt on the fly. Minutes matter at many stations, so alterations need to be made.

Working permissively - when not booked or planned as a agreed alteration - is a bit of hassle and at a terminal the inward train has to depart before the train already sitting on the buffers AND be short enough, which often doesn't happen. If it can fit in great, but it's not the default option; often easier to juggle platforms to keep things on time.

All in all errors are a quite rare but not totally unheard of event.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It may not be realistic and at my toc it rarely, if ever happens but That is why we have been told to always contact the signaller to ask what is already occupying the platform.
I suppose it's rather different if you work for LNER or Avanti than if you are a Southern driver for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.