• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tivoli

Can't find the answer to this anywhere else. If I have an advance ticket, which is only valid with a reservation, and the train is cancelled, can I assume I am allowed to use the next available train. I appreciate the reservation may no longer be of any use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can't find the answer to this anywhere else. If I have an advance ticket, which is only valid with a reservation, and the train is cancelled, can I assume I am allowed to use the next available train. I appreciate the reservation may no longer be of any use.

Yes you can. It's advisable to have the ticket endorsed by the customer reception or ticket office.

attics26

next available same TOC unless agreement with another TOC if problem causing cancellation was route problem and not just that one train.
(true for my toc and area, not suggesting always the case)

John @ home

Established Member
If the cancellation is known in sufficient time, you can also catch the previous train.

John

John @ home

Established Member
What if the guard of the next train is unaware of the cancellation?
Then it's probably best to tell them about it.
I've now had six cancellations using Advance tickets. On five occasions all the staff I encountered knew about the cancellation.
The one time I met someone who didn't know was when using a First Advance London - Leeds route NXEC & Connections ticket. The 1210 London - Leeds was cancelled so I took the 1200 London - Inverness train and changed at York. The NXEC staff knew about the cancellation but the guard on the TPE York - Leeds train had not been briefed. When I explained the position, he was content for me to sit in First Class.

John

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The 1210 London - Leeds was cancelled so I took the 1200 London - Inverness train and changed at York. The NXEC staff knew about the cancellation but the guard on the TPE York - Leeds train had not been briefed. When I explained the position, he was content for me to sit in First Class.
If the ticket was NXEC & Connections then, as the connecting TOC, I am surprised they even looked at the reservation. However if it was routed NXEC only then that's understandable.

John @ home

Established Member
If the ticket was NXEC & Connections then, as the connecting TOC, I am surprised they even looked at the reservation. However if it was routed NXEC only then that's understandable.
It seems that all NXEC's Advance tickets are now NXEC & Connections. It is their special offers such as Reader Offer (and some First Anytime tickets) which are NXEC only.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.