• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single and Return tickets between Moorgate and Old Street on Great Northern (Govia).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering is it possible to buy normal single and return tickets for use on Great Northern (Govia) trains between Moorgate and Old Street? I have been looking on TVMs and on BR Fares and for some reason these tickets dont appear to be sold which seems very strange?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
No, there are no differential fares between Moorgate and Old Street, as their respective gatelines have no way to determine whether you travelled on GTR or LU between the two.

transmanche

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that they are also interavailable fares, meaning that you can use either the Underground or the deep level Northern City Line?
Yes, AFAIU they've been inter-available ever since BR took over running the Northern City line.

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. Also out of interest do Moorgate and Old Street have any normal TVMs to buy National Rail tickets?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. Also out of interest do Moorgate and Old Street have any normal TVMs to buy National Rail tickets?
Can't speak for now but they never used to at Old Street (don't know about Moorgate).

It is what got me a PF (overturned no problem) when I couldn't get ticket extensions because the ticket office, which is of course now closed, couldn't sell tickets outside London and neither could the LU machines. Of course you can then buy at the destination, but someone disagreed.

My feeling is they probably haven't installed machines. There is very limited branding for the train services at all.

James H

They've just ordered a new fleet of trains for the line (class 717) so its future seems fairly assured.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I wonder if this section of line will in future be quietly closed once serious refurbishment etc of tunnels, track and stations is needed and or when 3rd rail is finally phased out?

Do you know how busy it gets in the peaks - absolutely wedged.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I wonder if this section of line will in future be quietly closed once serious refurbishment etc of tunnels, track and stations is needed and or when 3rd rail is finally phased out?

A new fleet of trains and all-day every day service improvements (bascially diverting evening and weekend services from Kings Cross) suggest otherwise

So am i correct in thinking that there are no actual "Moorgate" to "Old Street" tickets available? So only "Z1 to Z1" or "London Terminals to Z1" tickets are available for this journey?

transmanche

Established Member
So am i correct in thinking that there are no actual "Moorgate" to "Old Street" tickets available? So only "Z1 to Z1" or "London Terminals to Z1" tickets are available for this journey?
AFAIR London Underground fares have applied on that route for decades, in much the same way as LU fares were charged for journeys on the Waterloo and City line long before that route transferred to LU.

Correct, that fare is set by London Underground so it would be a zone one single fare. A bargain at £4.50.
Or if you don't want to pay the 'idiot tax', it's just £2.40.

Cash fares within Greater London must be the most expensive in the UK. It seems rediculous to charge £4.90 for a Single or charge £9.80 for a Return for a journey of just one stop such as Moorgate to Old Street.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The cash fare is effectively a penalty. They want you to use Oyster or contactless so fares are priced accordingly.

Cash is seen as a thing of the past on TfL.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Remember that this line was, up until 1975, run by London Underground. British Rail only started operations in 1976.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The cash fare is effectively a penalty. They want you to use Oyster or contactless so fares are priced accordingly.

Cash is seen as a thing of the past on TfL.
If only everyone else agreed with them. If they did then all Oyster and contactless payments would be cheaper than paper tickets or the same price.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

miami

Established Member
Cash fares within Greater London must be the most expensive in the UK. It seems rediculous to charge £4.90 for a Single or charge £9.80 for a Return for a journey of just one stop such as Moorgate to Old Street.

I'm sure there are bus fares more expensive per mile outside London - and even inside London.

£10 a mile is pricey. Altrincham to Navigation Road is £3.28 a mile, Deansgate to Oxford Road is £4.68 a mile.

On the metrolink, Picadilly Gardens to Market Street is £7.60 a mile. If you choose to pay the standard fare of £100 that increases to £715 a mile.

But short trips on metro services are always an anomaly, and it's very unlikely anyone would ever make such a trip, and even if they did in London they'd simply pay the oyster fare.

Clip

Established Member

Its mroe ridiculous that anyone would actually go to the effort of making such a journey - as others have pointed out above with other journey options.

Embankment to Charing cross is even closer and costs the same.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it gets more ridiculous if the hypothetical person was restricting themselves to the GN Northern City Line (rather than the LU Northern Line) as it is a set of stairs further down, with less frequent trains. And probably slower- certainly from Old Street to Moorgate, as LU trains can rattle into Moorgate at a fair lick whilst NCL trains are heavily speed restricted with safety devices to ensure this is the case named after the station. I'd presume 1995 Tube Stock is rather faster to accelerate than Class 313 as well.

transmanche

Established Member
it gets more ridiculous if the hypothetical person was restricting themselves to the GN Northern City Line (rather than the LU Northern Line) as it is a set of stairs further down, with less frequent trains..
The Northern City line is above the Northern line. In fact at Old Street you walk downstairs from the NCL platforms to reach the escalators.

And at certain times of day (especially the morning peak) the travelling environment on a 313 from Moorgate to Old Street would be more pleasant than the Northern line.

westv

Established Member
Has the Oyster single of £2.40 risen a large amount in percentage terms??
Was it something like £1.10 seven years ago? A 118% increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.