• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single mum thinking of train driving. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally2900

Hi Everyone.

First time poster here. I'm currently living in Europe, but will be moving back to the UK after working abroad for almost a year. I'm a qualified teacher but realised that it involves far too much BS, and just isn't for me. I want to do something completely different. I've been looking at other jobs that I could potentially do...and train driving interests me. I've got quite good concentration when I focus (I do have an underachieve thyroid, but when I take my meds I'm fine). I'm quite an introverted person and love spending time by myself .I've been doing really well on all the practice Group Bourdon Tests. In fact, I love doing them! (Usually get 12-13 lines with no errors).

The problem is I'm 37, and I have an 11-year-old child. Realistically, do I stand a chance? I want to try and get onto an apprenticeship because I feel that's one of the best ways of getting in. I like the idea of being paid on the job too. I'm thinking of moving to Leeds as have the possibility of moving anywhere. Do Leeds offer regular apprenticeships? I just want to make sure I give myself the best possible chance because I know it's extremely competitive.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
It is certainly possible, although I guess it depends how mature your child is. If you are starting a shift at 4am, are they going to be able to get themselves up, make breakfast, go to school etc all on their own? And the same in the evening if you are on a late shift.

lammergeier

Leeds is probably as good a place as any - there's a large Northern depot that regularly take on trainee drivers. Plus, the larger the depot generally the easier it is to get accommodated working - ie. shifts which take into account family circumstances. It's not guaranteed however so best to make sure you can work the shifts required at the depot and if you can get accommodated then it's a bonus.

Also be aware that Northern, in common with most/all(?) other operators require trainee applicants to live within an set time of the depot (usually an hour) at the time of application - so if you are based abroad you won't be able to apply unless you can provide a UK address even though self-evidently you'll not be commuting from Europe!

Stigy

Established Member
Hi Everyone.

First time poster here. I'm currently living in Europe, but will be moving back to the UK after working abroad for almost a year. I'm a qualified teacher but realised that it involves far too much BS, and just isn't for me. I want to do something completely different. I've been looking at other jobs that I could potentially do...and train driving interests me. I've got quite good concentration when I focus (I do have an underachieve thyroid, but when I take my meds I'm fine). I'm quite an introverted person and love spending time by myself .I've been doing really well on all the practice Group Bourdon Tests. In fact, I love doing them! (Usually get 12-13 lines with no errors).

The problem is I'm 37, and I have an 11-year-old child. Realistically, do I stand a chance? I want to try and get onto an apprenticeship because I feel that's one of the best ways of getting in. I like the idea of being paid on the job too. I'm thinking of moving to Leeds as have the possibility of moving anywhere. Do Leeds offer regular apprenticeships? I just want to make sure I give myself the best possible chance because I know it's extremely competitive.

It’s always a possibility, and there’s a drive at the moment to recruit more females to the profession. Childcare may pose an issue, but at 11 it’s not like you have a toddler I guess? Bear in mind depending on the TOC/FOC you may need to stay away from home for training (15/16/17 weeks potentially).

Ally2900

Thanks all. So I have free reign to live anywhere to be honest as no ties to any place in particular. I thought Leeds because it's a large depot and hopefully they would recruit often.

My child will be 12 next year so she is growing up. Couldn't just leave her to get ready for school on her own though. Thinking perhaps getting an au pair in would be a good option for childcare.

I thought with there being a drive in female recruitment, I might have a good chance but I know there are thousands of applications so maybe not the case?

Any other traits they particularly look for with applications?

FlyingVixen

I applied for a few TOCs and FOCs as a female and never made it past the application, apart from with DB Cargo. Now I have a start date! Being female will help but only marginally. I put everything into my applications and with me being a Midwife, I thought I would be good enough to all I applied to. How wrong I was! Haha! At least one decided to take me on! I’ll be based in the North West and I will be the second woman freight driver in that region for this company apparently!

baz962

Established Member
Thanks all. So I have free reign to live anywhere to be honest as no ties to any place in particular. I thought Leeds because it's a large depot and hopefully they would recruit often.

My child will be 12 next year so she is growing up. Couldn't just leave her to get ready for school on her own though. Thinking perhaps getting an au pair in would be a good option for childcare.

I thought with there being a drive in female recruitment, I might have a good chance but I know there are thousands of applications so maybe not the case?

Any other traits they particularly look for with applications?
I used to work with a single mother train driver, you stand every chance.

Ally2900

I applied for a few TOCs and FOCs as a female and never made it past the application, apart from with DB Cargo. Now I have a start date! Being female will help but only marginally. I put everything into my applications and with me being a Midwife, I thought I would be good enough to all I applied to. How wrong I was! Haha! At least one decided to take me on! I’ll be based in the North West and I will be the second woman freight driver in that region for this company apparently!

Wow - Congrats! How long did it take from start to finish for you to land your job would you say?! I know I may have to apply a few times to get in but willing to put the hard work in and do that.

T-Karmel

From my own experience and all of that I heard, seen and witnessed myself, I am of a view that nothing mentioned by you will stand in your way. Railway really does recruit people of all backgrounds and in different circumstances, so for as long as you'll meet th criteria (pass the tests to required standard, present well in the interview proving you've got what needed to be a driver) and in most of the cases living within required distance of 45-60 minutes, then you've got as much of a chance, as anyone else that gets the job.
You may need to apply to many different companies, it may take time but never let it put you down when they reject your application. As Flying Vixen said and as many of us experienced, and you may read it often on this forum, you may be rejected ten times and get invited to sit tests on the next one. Good luck!

Ally2900

From my own experience and all of that I heard, seen and witnessed myself, I am of a view that nothing mentioned by you will stand in your way. Railway really does recruit people of all backgrounds and in different circumstances, so for as long as you'll meet th criteria (pass the tests to required standard, present well in the interview proving you've got what needed to be a driver) and in most of the cases living within required distance of 45-60 minutes, then you've got as much of a chance, as anyone else that gets the job.
You may need to apply to many different companies, it may take time but never let it put you down when they reject your application. As Flying Vixen said and as many of us experienced, and you may read it often on this forum, you may be rejected ten times and get invited to sit tests on the next one. Good luck!

Thank you - this sounds very reassuring. The only apprenticeship I've seen being offered is via Northern Rail. Do you know if there many companies that take on trainees around the Leeds area? I'm a bit clueless how I could get in otherwise?

T-Karmel

Thank you - this sounds very reassuring. The only apprenticeship I've seen being offered is via Northern Rail. Do you know if there many companies that take on trainees around the Leeds area? I'm a bit clueless how I could get in otherwise?
I don't know local area and their recruitment styles, but you don't need to look into apprenticeships as such. You need a job of a Trainee Train Driver (DB calls it Junior Train Driver often) and it is or it is not an apprenticeship, it doesn't make any difference to you. Training wise they still need to teach you everything. Reason companies go into apprenticeships is just to get grant from government.
So I think you should look on websites of all TOCs and FOCs in the area, that may be Northern, LNER, CrossCountry, TPE, EMR, DB Cargo, DC Rail, DRS, Freightliner, GBRf, Colas Rail, SB Rail - I have no idea which of them exactly are local to Leeds.

Often any trainee vacancies are posted very quickly by someone here on the forum.

GemGem

Hello! Female train driver and mum of 2 young children here albeit not single. Single-handedly the best job in the world in my opinion! It is however tough with the shift patterns- missing assemblies, parents’ evenings etc. It requires military planning for childcare etc. You will need childcare for school holidays. At my TOC the leave is rostered and a certain amount you can take ad hoc. You can swap leave but you won’t get all school holidays off. Wouldn’t change my job ever but do think of the impact shift work could have.

Elecman

Established Member
Congratulations would that be with Freightliner ?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Hi Everyone.

tfw are looking for staff with apprenticeships quite often

FlyingVixen

Wow - Congrats! How long did it take from start to finish for you to land your job would you say?! I know I may have to apply a few times to get in but willing to put the hard work in and do that.
Thank you! :D Well, I applied to DB Cargo in May last year! Then I got invited for my assessment day in July this year. Then my interview in August and medical in September. Then the start date was more or less just after that! It was a long wait in the beginning but it’s very quick for me in the end! Very exciting!

Definitely put the work in. Really look into the role and really show them you want to be a train driver! You will get there in the end if it’s really what you want! :D

Congratulations would that be with Freightliner ?
Nope, with DB cargo :D

Ken H

On Moderation
Dunno if any good for you but the bus industry is crying out for drivers. Some good golden hellos on offer.

Driver_wife

Not a single mum but mum to 2 and 2 step children. I am about to start my training. My husband is also in the railway so juggling the shifts will be interesting but in my opinion totally worth it! Lots of time off to compliment the tough shifts and it will be a good few years before you’re a solo driver from application so your little one should be in high school and more independent too. Good luck :)

Ally2900

Dunno if any good for you but the bus industry is crying out for drivers. Some good golden hellos on offer.
I'm sure bus driving is great, but it really doesn't appeal the same way train driving does.

SJN

Hi. I’m a female driver for a passenger TOC. Passed out in April. There were 4 women on my course. One of them was a single parent. I think the only issue you’ll have is if you can get childcare for the shifts. As said above don’t take much notice of the apprenticeship title. Good luck with it.

Aivilo

You have every opportunity to get on and be successful. Railways apprenticeships are just a spin so companies can claim back the money from the government and most Tova advertise them that way these days.

Passenger is the world to be in with kids IMO but it will still make life a struggle as it's a 24/7/365 railway at most depots. Childcare costs need to be considered as generally you'll work a week of earlies and a week of lates on rotation.

More than happy to assist you though the process should you need any further help or advice

LCC106

Established Member
I’ve often thought there’s a missed opportunity for a crèche. Northern Leeds drivers train in Leeds. Usually 9am to mid afternoon. If it’s possible to send your daughter to breakfast/after school club, the au pair can wait until you’re out doing your training and on a higher salary.

dk1

Veteran Member
Do messrooms have swings and a slide, and an area for crayoning then?
Always. A naughty step & tantrum area too.

I’ve often thought there’s a missed opportunity for a crèche. Northern Leeds drivers train in Leeds. Usually 9am to mid afternoon. If it’s possible to send your daughter to breakfast/after school club, the au pair can wait until you’re out doing your training and on a higher salary.
I think that sort of thing would have be arranged privately. TOCs have their pick of drivers so are hardly going to want to pay out on something like that. It’s for the employee to deal with their personal lives in the way we all do.

Ally2900

Lots of useful advice on here - Thank you all.

So, I'm familiar with the shift patterns and know that I will need to do rotations (mix of earlies afternoons, nights etc) . What I'm curious about is the amount of time off and how would that work? For example, if you worked 5 nights on the bounce, would you be expected to have two days off then onto earlies the following week? Someone mentioned on another thread that sometimes it feels like you are working all the time, then it feels you have a ton of time off.

My daughter could easily go to a breakfast or after school club..In fact I'm her last school, the kids would all be there at 8:15am, so being up early was the norm.

SJN

At mine it’s a 4 day week so you have Mon/Tues, then Wed/Thurs then Fri/Sat so 5 days off every 3 weeks. You might work a late Saturday then have Sunday off then on earlies from Monday for the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.