• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single mum thinking of train driving. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anglian96

I would personally say its unachievable. I'm sure there may be ways around it but in my current circumstance there's not a chance I could do my job whilst being a single dad. Good luck though

Ally2900

I would personally say its unachievable. I'm sure there may be ways around it but in my current circumstance there's not a chance I could do my job whilst being a single dad. Good luck though

Why do you say that may I ask? It is because of the hours you currently work?

Could anyone please advice me if they think Leeds or Sheffield would be the better place to relocate for jobs and opportunities, or doesn't it really matter?

Last edited:

Aivilo

Logic would say place yourself in the middle of Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield as you need to be a commutable distance.

Experience would tell you to pick an area that's good for your family and close to have a short commute so hold out for the opportunity to arise. Commutes vary and I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck in a car 45/60 minutes before and after work.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Could anyone please advice me if they think Leeds or Sheffield would be the better place to relocate for jobs and opportunities, or doesn't it really matter?
In terms of the overall number of trainee jobs that come up (bearing in mind most TOCs won't accept a promise of relocation), nothing is really going to beat London. But it's unlikely you'd be able to afford to live somewhere within commuting distance of all the major depots.

Living somewhere between Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield would still give you a lot of depots to choose between (Manchester has Piccadilly with 4 operators and Victoria with Northern, then there's also Huddersfield, Leeds with 3 operators, Doncaster with 2 operators, Sheffield with 2 operators, plus a number of freight depots including Guide Bridge and Healey Mills) and with a much more affordable cost of housing.

However, living somewhere that's within the required distance of all those depots (to give you the greatest chance of bagging a trainee role) will likely also mean a long commute to any of them. So if you're successful, you might want to move closer to whichever depot you've got in to.

LCC106

Established Member
Always. A naughty step & tantrum area too.

I think that sort of thing would have be arranged privately. TOCs have their pick of drivers so are hardly going to want to pay out on something like that. It’s for the employee to deal with their personal lives in the way we all do.
Of course, it would be a separate business paid for by parents. That said, it would likely need to run from very early until very late! It can be difficult if you don’t have family to help or enough room for a live in nanny.

dk1

Veteran Member
Of course, it would be a separate business paid for by parents. That said, it would likely need to run from very early until very late! It can be difficult if you don’t have family to help or enough room for a live in nanny.
One of my colleagues is paying almost £1000 per month for childcare but then that’s a lifestyle choice if you want to go back to work.

LCC106

Established Member
May be worth finding out which are the larger depots if anyone can shed insight.

One of my colleagues is paying almost £1000 per month for childcare but then that’s a lifestyle choice if you want to go back to work.
Yes. It’s over £1000 for nursery fees here then if we need breakfast club it’s £5 and after school is £15 until 6pm.

dk1

Veteran Member
May be worth finding out which are the larger depots if anyone can shed insight.

Yes. It’s over £1000 for nursery fees here then if we need breakfast club it’s £5 and after school is £15 until 6pm.
Kids don’t come cheap these days lol

anglian96

The shift times are all over the place and trying to get childcare and fit it around your work would be a nightmare. Some weeks you would only see your kid maybe an hour or 2 because the times would just miss eachother with there school, sleep and your work.

If you can get childcare for 24 hours round the clock then it achievable but if can't then it's a no in my opinion.

Ally2900

The shift times are all over the place and trying to get childcare and fit it around your work would be a nightmare. Some weeks you would only see your kid maybe an hour or 2 because the times would just miss eachother with there school, sleep and your work.

If you can get childcare for 24 hours round the clock then it achievable but if can't then it's a no in my opinion.
Oh...this is really disappointing to hear. I'm wondering in some TOC's if you can negotiate your hours? If they want more woman signing up, then surely there going to have to think about families and how that would work?

Class2ldn

You won't be able to negotiate hours and it wouldn't go down well with someone new coming in working hours to suit themselves unfortunately . We'd all like that but the up and down shifts come with the job.

skyhigh

Established Member
I'm wondering in some TOC's if you can negotiate your hours?
Potentially. But that will only happen after you've passed out and are qualified, and even then there's no guarantee. The role involves shift work with early starts and late finishes, and any company who takes on trainees will want them to work these shifts.

If they want more woman signing up, then surely there going to have to think about families and how that would work?
Unfortunately due to the nature of the job, it can't work for everyone. You're more likely to get shifts adapted to you if something unforseen occurs during employment (i.e. you become widowed, you have a child who has additional needs etc) compared to if you're still in the same situation you were when you joined.

By all means I think it's possible to get this to work in your position, but you need to remember there will be a period of classroom training (which will involve a lot of revision/work at home in the evenings) followed by hours with an instructor working their full range of shifts then only after around 12-18 months you'll be qualified and able to go out on your own. Even then, there's no guarantee you will be allowed accommodated work shifts so you'll need to be prepared that it won't happen and if it does it'll be a bonus.

Depending on the company, some may allow you to swap with others to work permanent lates/earlies (with them working the opposite) but then again it'll only be possible when you're qualified and you find someone who fits with your existing shifts.

As I say, I think it's possible you can make it work but you'll need to anticipate at least the first year or two being difficult.

AVK17

If you’re interested in a career on the railway with good job security and decent pay then you might also want to consider becoming a signaller. It’s a responsible and job which requires focus, attention to detail and good communication skills.

The pay is a bit less than most drivers take home but the shift times are a lot more predictable than the drivers rosters. You’d be working day and nightshifts with fixed start and finish times, and for 12hour shifts it’s usually a three on/four off working week. There are big signalling centres all over the UK as well as smaller signalboxes (though the pay grades increase with the size of the location you work) and there are loads of vacancies nationwide.

Network Rail is the company that employs signallers in the UK and their website has lots more information about it. There are loads of women of all ages and backgrounds working as signallers already but Network Rail is very keen to increase the diversity within the signalling workforce.

LCC106

Established Member
I would suggest you contact the recruitment or HR team for different Train Operating Companies and ask them about accommodated hours for new entrants, explaining that you could get out of hours school club care during the classroom weeks and would envisage an au pair after that. We can only speculate, they can advise fully.

anglian96

Oh...this is really disappointing to hear. I'm wondering in some TOC's if you can negotiate your hours? If they want more woman signing up, then surely there going to have to think about families and how that would work?
I've heard of some companies allowing you to work the same shifts ie mornings/late only. But these drivers are granted that luxury after being there a number of years. As a new entrant this will not be possible. Also from an employers Point of view would they take someone on who can work 24/7 or someone who wants set shifts and patterns. It's a very tough decision for you but like I said if you can get the childcare then it's achievable.

dk1

Veteran Member
I've heard of some companies allowing you to work the same shifts ie mornings/late only. But these drivers are granted that luxury after being there a number of years. As a new entrant this will not be possible. Also from an employers Point of view would they take someone on who can work 24/7 or someone who wants set shifts and patterns. It's a very tough decision for you but like I said if you can get the childcare then it's achievable.
It would also have to be agreed by the local LDC reps before any such alternative hours/shifts are permitted for long serving drivers. New entrants stand no chance.

Emma2021

Bear in mind the initial 17 week classroom training could be miles away. We are in the Midlands and my husbands training is in glasgow. He gets home late Friday night and leaves again Sunday lunchtime. Some on his course are London based so have even further to travel

the sniper

Established Member
And you'd have to be aware that the vast majority of your colleagues would never be afforded the same privilege as you, if you were to somehow be allowed to pick your turns as a new starter. 'Accommodation', as it is known, is usually only given to those who's circumstances have changed, having previously done the job as expected of anyone.

As said by @skyhigh, you could get a mutual swap organised for earlies or lates once you qualify (the latter will likely be more attainable) depending on the company/depot/link, which would go down better.

philthetube

Established Member
Could you find a student to move in and provide care for accommodation, if you get that far there are plenty of hard up students about.

Status
Not open for further replies.