• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

skankiest underpass

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
In the past, Wakefield Kirkgate and Huddersfield may have won this award.

For 2013, may I nominate Pontefract Baghill and Todmorden as candidates? Any others from around the country? Apologies if there is already a relevant thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crispy1978

Warrington Central was pretty skanky when I went through it a couple of years back - although in fairness, they were working on it at the time.

Zoidberg

Established Member
I just thought that I'd share that my first take on the thread title was "skankiest underpants" ... what's that to do with 'infrastructure & Stations", I wondered.

Sorry, I don't have an experience of a skanky railway underpass to share and I'll shut the door as I leave. :)

Crossover

Established Member
I would second Pontefract Baghill. I'm only glad the one time I have visited I didn't have to use it, as I was going to Ulleskelf. I did have a look from platform level and noted how awful it looked!

table38

Established Member
Judging by the smell, Newton (for Hyde) subway appears to attract the terminally incontinent

Temple Meads

Established Member
In my area only Plymouth comes to mind, it's very damp, and there's often a strong smell of vomit hanging in the air..

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A lot around South London that I've used leave a lot to desired. Wakefield Kirkgate was also pretty bad before they cladded it a few years ago.

In my area only Plymouth comes to mind, it's very damp, and there's often a strong smell of vomit hanging in the air..

Very damp and a smell of vomit sounds like Plymouth in general ;)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I just thought that I'd share that my first take on the thread title was "skankiest underpants" ... what's that to do with 'infrastructure & Stations", I wondered.

Sorry, I don't have an experience of a skanky railway underpass to share and I'll shut the door as I leave. :)

Probably somewhere in the vicinity of Pooparts Junction...

CC 72100

Established Member

I was going to suggest plymouth actually, but probably not as bad as some of the others mentioned on this thread. It's not pleasant by any means but probably not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

ess

Not sure if it still is but Stockport when approaching from Station Road was grim. It used to annoy me that for the sake of a ticket check you had to walk all the way down the grubby underpass to the show your ticket before walking all the way back to get to the platform

Aictos

Established Member
Hertford North has two subways, one smells like **** - thing is a bit of cladding and resurfacing the floors and they be good as new.

tsr

Established Member
Until the lift to/from Redhill ticket office finally gets installed, the only way for wheelchair users to get from there to the platforms is by going under the gloomiest, most pigeon-poo-ridden and dampest railway bridge known to all of mankind. It parallels what is, at that location, the frankly unpleasant A25. A steepish hill, a slightly dismal car park and the dingy "back entrance" then have to be negotiated.

Passengers should be aware that it will be much more enjoyable to experience the coma brought on by the wounds inflicted by one of the local yobs lurking in the vicinity.

Established Member
Morpeth is a terrible one, even though the rest of the station is quite nice.

Bevan Price

Established Member
not at a station but to go from or too the town centre of Chester having arived by or if catching a train the under road subways are rather grim!
But at least you can avoid them if you don't mind a slightly longer walk. (Unlike most station subways).

One of the worst, mentioned elsewhere in the forum, and fortunately now gone, was the subway under to the dual carriageway to access Oldham Mumps.

steevp

There is an underpass under the ECML just down from Grantham Station that leads from the town side of the station to the other side of the tracks - when I lived there I only tried it once. Once was more than enough of that dank dark smelly hole!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With regard to the OP, Huddersfield was never that bad, even pre-lifts/refurb.

I'd like to nominate Denby Dale though. Though I guess as a single platform station the underpass is not required to access part of the station. Also, being out in the sticks(ish) means there's always the possibility that the urine in the subway is that of foxes or badgers rather than bored youths from the village!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not sure if it still is but Stockport when approaching from Station Road was grim. It used to annoy me that for the sake of a ticket check you had to walk all the way down the grubby underpass to the show your ticket before walking all the way back to get to the platform

Has the one in Stockport been improved somewhat in recent years ?

D365

Veteran Member
Skankiest Underpass? Dare I say... Hinchingbrooke PAC.

All of them.

dysonsphere

Considering Didcot has the preservation site last time I went there the underpass was a disgrace. (mind you that was several years ago)

Pacerpilot

This what us freight drivers put up with... Lawley St. FLT to Saltley under the Up/Dn Derby lines. It really is quite grim at 3am I can assure you.

10fak1z.jpg

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Canterbury East's isn't very nice, but how it compares to the others mentioned, I don't know.

route:oxford

Established Member
This what us freight drivers put up with... Lawley St. FLT to Saltley under the Up/Dn Derby lines. It really is quite grim at 3am I can assure you.

10fak1z.jpg

Is it just the angle that the picture was taken at, or do you have to crawl through it?

Can I nominate a former underpass? Leeds City before the rebuild, permiated by the stench of boys wee from the Gents loo that used to be down there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.