• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skidding 08 shunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Margam Yard today and an 08 shunter was marshalling about 10 Thrall BYA wagons, and when the driver had put them into the appropriate siding, the shunting loco, just prior to stopping, had its 6 wheels locked up stationary while the momentum of the wagons still in motion dragged it along for at least 2-3 metres. Is this normal? I have seen 0-6-0 shunters like this before at Alexandra Dock Jc. near Newport losing adhesion and wheelspinning, but a "slide" I've not seen before. Am I correct in thinking that a shunter has no control over braking of stock and just relies on the loco brakes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
Am I correct in thinking that a shunter has no control over braking of stock and just relies on the loco brakes?

Depends on whether the brake pipe to the stock is connected or not.

It's bad practice to just use the loco brakes though, leads to wheelflats.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Almost brings a tear to mjy eye recalling the days of loose hump shunting of un braked waggons and the skillful movement of the team in managing dozens of waggons movng simultaneously on differnt lines, all from the single shunter (and a few others risking life and limb on the ground).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nickname for an 08 and 09, although I'm sure 'Gronk' is more widespread/popular. I certainly prefer the latter.

9K43

I call a 350 a 350.
Good strong locos to shunt with, but had a lousy cab heating.
We shunted at Leeds Frieght Liner for many years with a 350
These locos could make a 75 SLU train move without problems.
If this engine is sliding, it means the the train it is attached to is not connected to the brake.
Loose shunting on the railway was banned years ago, and could be a SPAD waiting to happen.
This loco is the only one where you can ride on the steps of a locomotive as there are steps on the front for the shunter to ride, plus a place for the shunt pole.
I have ridden through Leeds City Station light engine with a 350, and its the roughest ride of my life.
When Holbeck Shed (55A) shut we got all the local trips workings which were 9K60 to K65.
These trains serviced all the rail connected companies in and around Leeds, such as D and F Steels, Dunlop and Ranken and the Tip at Hunslet East to name a few.

shedman

We call an 08 a pilot up here. Gotta admit it's rare we use the train brake because it's very unresponsive, takes ages to brake or ages to release so you'll be no where near where you want to be. The straight air brake is much better, alot more control over the train.

Hydro

Established Member
Gronk is a spotter term really, I've heard ours referred to by all sorts of names 08/350/pilot/jocko - the drivers are from all over the shop.

9K43

At HM we had a booked tripper to serve all the rail connected coal yards.
This job was K43 and was always a 350. This job signed on at 0500hrs, and could go anywhere between the S and T Sidings at Norminton and a glass works at Castleford to The C and W at Clader Bridge and Cobra Railfreight at Wakefield Kirkgate and all the way up to Dewsbury Railway Street and all the coal yards on the L and Y to Sowerby Bridge.
Dewsbury Yard took Transfesa continental ferry vans from all over Europe.
Alas Dewsbury Yard now a Sainsburies. There was no more pleasure than having a 20 mile ride in a brake van up the L and Y with your tea can on the stove and and sleepy eyes.
When we got to Sowerby Bridge we would shunt the goods yard and back to Hm and then go home.
Not a Sprinter or plastic railcar to be seen, bags of 31's and 40's milling about, and no EWS or DB to worry about.
Those were the happy days when a gallon of petrol was 60p
And fully comp car insurance with Guardian Royal insurance was £55 for a 22 year old.
The pay was £125 with and 8 hour Sunday a bit more with a rest day.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Depends on whether the brake pipe to the stock is connected or not.

It's bad practice to just use the loco brakes though, leads to wheelflats.

You always pipe the train brake up, but i think you'll find most people shunt with the straight air. As others have said, it's far more responsive. The train brake is still there if you get into trouble.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Not just "350's", but a generic slang term for any shunting loco, going back to steam. Seems to be a Midland region term.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
This is what you wouldn't want to happen... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_8888_incident

On May 15, 2001, the runaway train departed Stanley Yard in Walbridge, Ohio, CSX's primary classification yard for Toledo,[1] and began a 66-mile (106 km) journey south through northwest Ohio with no one at the controls

:oops:

But how is a runaway connected to a discussion about shunting using a loco brake only?

It's a totally different situation.

9K43

But how is a runaway connected to a discussion about shunting using a loco brake only?

It's a totally different situation.

Who cares let him have is two penneth​
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Whilst shunting with a 350 at Stourton, the fan belt broke with all its bits and pieces.
When we looked inside their was a deluge of broken fan bet coming out of the front.
Now shunting at FL is done by the train engine.
Nearly all 350's have gone from DB.
All I can say is that the 350 was a very good loco for what it had to do.

Last edited:

shedman

I remarshall full HST rakes using either a power car or 08. The power cars are a nightmare to shunt with but an 08 is so simple. I'd hate to have to shunt regulary with any sort of loco other than splitting and drawing back/forth or just knocking a vehicle out of a rake. Like any member of railway staff I have hundreds of stories to tell especially about working with the pilots/jocko/350 but a public forum isn't the place!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.