• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skipton HST going to 225

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yesterday 91+Mk4 set made it to Skipton under own power, following extra feeder inserts being put onto the branch. No official changeover date yet, other than it will be before the May TT change. Likely to be a little bit of diagram shuffling over the next few weeks!

Only one more test run to do for gauging (again!) so could potentially be over the 225 operation in a weeks time.

So if anyone needs to get Skipton on an HST, now's the time!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hooray. I'm astonished that they put in extra boosters just to allow LHCS on the Airedale!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Given that there aren't actually enough 91+Mk4 sets (thankyou BR...) presumably another service under the wires will become HST?

Pumbaa

Established Member
The diagramming is changing anyway at Eureka, hopefully for the better!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Good stuff. Hope this encourages more services to run beyond Leeds - places like Keighley could do with the capacity of a 225 instead of 333s!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
apparently HST wanted for lincoln services

as far as im aware (i volunteer at KWVR and this is what was said) it is a myth about the supply not being good enough. The calculations were never done just presumed, when someone finally did the calculations they realised a 91 could get up there so.... trials happened. Something to do with gauging in one direction i beleive its limited to 40 through bingley but that is all

Pumbaa

Established Member
No it wasn't a myth. Work has been done over the last few weeks to upgrade the power supply, with work to follow on other branches as well. Will help increase frequency in the peaks for May apparently.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
No it wasn't a myth. Work has been done over the last few weeks to upgrade the power supply, with work to follow on other branches as well. Will help increase frequency in the peaks for May apparently.

okay, well i only repeating what i heard :) thank you though. i did put in as far as i am aware to cover my back :P

ah okay, very interesting about branches to improve frequency.... i like it though little things like that can make such a difference

I would think now it will be 225 or HST gives them some flexibility? but mostly 225?

The use of a 91 on the Skipton could benefit Harrogate by using the HST made available.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
At least it will give options should a HST be unavailable rather than terminating Leeds. Skipton services used to routed via Hambleton as well but I don't think that is the case anymore.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Not in the evening it doesnt. At present, there is no return service from Kings Cross to Harrogate.

With the HST that would become available, that could happen.

But this could be done already by changing existing diagrams. The 1750 could be extended to Harrogate for example. I know there are HST under the wires diagrams such as the 1700 London - Edinburgh returning at 0930 the next day.

But this could be done already by changing existing diagrams. The 1750 could be extended to Harrogate for example. I know there are HST under the wires diagrams such as the 1700 London - Edinburgh returning at 0930 the next day.

I have thought of that in the past. The 1750 is the obvious service to extend to Harrogate.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I have thought of that in the past. The 1750 is the obvious service to extend to Harrogate.

Looking at the HST daigrams, the best option would be to swap the 1700 (Edinburgh) set with the 1703 (Leeds) - There are no HSTs in KX at 1750 at the moment, unless the spare is grabbed from bounds green.

I have some questions about this:
Additional services in the peak: I knew this was in the pipeline, but what are Northern going to use to run these trains? There is already DMU substitution on Airedale/Wharfedale in the morning peak (normally a growly Perkins 158). I always put this down to a lack of 333s - or is it in fact related to the power supply?

Shipley: When these routes were wired, Platform 3 at Shipley was extended to accommodate 91+Mk4 rake, and is used bi-di for that purpose for Bradford services (albeit less often than originally anticipated). The HST ex-Skipton calls at Shipley platform 1, which can only accommodate the leading power car + 4 coaches, which it presumably does under grandfather arrangements.

AFAIK the 225s don't have SDO. I was once set down at Finsbury Park following a signal failure and the guard opened one local door and everyone had to use that. Took hours to alight. Will this mean that the ECML service ex-Skipton won't be able to use Shipley platform 1?

Hope not. I use this to get to work sometimes, although must admit not many board at Shipley, most having crushed themselves onto the Northern service 6 mins earlier.

In GNER days, I could theoretically have brightened my commute with a cooked breakfast en route from Shipley to Leeds although I accept it would have been a bit of a rush...

Pumbaa

Established Member
I imagine in that case P3 will be used.

Yes power problems restrained further deployment of 333s, although I imagine they're all pretty busy anyway. I have no idea what they're planning on, all I know know is they're changing.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am surprised that HSTs had grandfather rights, I didn't think they used that route until GNER introduced the service. Under BR the HSTs went to Bradford Interchange, I don't recall HSTs under BR using the route towards Skipton.

Established Member
Used to be one diagram last year on the Airedale/Wharfedale lines for a 144, but haven't heard about this or seen it in a while.

9K43

I spent 3 years on the Electrification Trains from 1993 to 1996.
We were out 7 days per week from Donny upto anywhere between Neville Hill to Skipton, Ilkley, Dock Field Jct, Shipley, BFD Foster SQ to Skipton.
We were told that big electric engines would never use this Route to Skipton, as the wiring would not stand the use of of big amp eating locos.

I imagine in that case P3 will be used.

Yes power problems restrained further deployment of 333s, although I imagine they're all pretty busy anyway. I have no idea what they're planning on, all I know know is they're changing.

That would involve a very awkward reversal with the train having to proceed through dockfield junction then reverse wrong line back to shipley east.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have some questions about this:
Additional services in the peak: I knew this was in the pipeline, but what are Northern going to use to run these trains? There is already DMU substitution on Airedale/Wharfedale in the morning peak (normally a growly Perkins 158). I always put this down to a lack of 333s - or is it in fact related to the power supply?

Shipley: When these routes were wired, Platform 3 at Shipley was extended to accommodate 91+Mk4 rake, and is used bi-di for that purpose for Bradford services (albeit less often than originally anticipated). The HST ex-Skipton calls at Shipley platform 1, which can only accommodate the leading power car + 4 coaches, which it presumably does under grandfather arrangements.

AFAIK the 225s don't have SDO. I was once set down at Finsbury Park following a signal failure and the guard opened one local door and everyone had to use that. Took hours to alight. Will this mean that the ECML service ex-Skipton won't be able to use Shipley platform 1?
Hope not. I use this to get to work sometimes, although must admit not many board at Shipley, most having crushed themselves onto the Northern service 6 mins earlier.

In GNER days, I could theoretically have brightened my commute with a cooked breakfast en route from Shipley to Leeds although I accept it would have been a bit of a rush...

As Shipley is Pick up only, it shouldnt be a problem. If it was a setdown & pickup then yes, there would be issues. But it isnt, so it should be ok.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
That would involve a very awkward reversal with the train having to proceed through dockfield junction then reverse wrong line back to shipley east.

Would be like the old pre-1979 days when Leeds > Skipton DMUs proceeded beyond Shipley Bingley Junction and reversed into one of the platforms on the Bradford > Skipton side of the triangle.

I also use the tram to get to work, so wouldn't like it not to stop anymore.

amcluesent

Commuting KGX-PBO I try and avoid the 18:03 as the HST is a bit tatty although timing wise it suites me. A change to 225 set would be a good thing.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Commuting KGX-PBO I try and avoid the 18:03 as the HST is a bit tatty although timing wise it suites me. A change to 225 set would be a good thing.

Except it would just mean some other departure would be a tram instead, one that you might also sometimes use.

Arriva158

Will this new service be doing the same as the morning run and going out via Hambleton and then calling at Horsforth?

Ploughman

Established Member
I spent 3 years on the Electrification Trains from 1993 to 1996.
We were out 7 days per week from Donny upto anywhere between Neville Hill to Skipton, Ilkley, Dock Field Jct, Shipley, BFD Foster SQ to Skipton.
We were told that big electric engines would never use this Route to Skipton, as the wiring would not stand the use of of big amp eating locos.

And yet they used electric locos for loadbank testing on the system.

Will this new service be doing the same as the morning run and going out via Hambleton and then calling at Horsforth?

It only goes via Hambleton on Saturday, rest of the week its via Wakefield.

Will be intresting to see if it calls at Horsforth on the way back. Cant the passengers for there been too impressed having to change at Leeds when the train goes through there.

Aictos

Established Member
Given that there aren't actually enough 91+Mk4 sets (thankyou BR...) presumably another service under the wires will become HST?

Surely that was down to the Treasury not releasing the funds to BR for more 91+Mk4 sets after all BR did wanted more HSTs for it's Cross Country route then what they actually got again thanks to the accountants at the Treasury.

Status
Not open for further replies.