• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleepers - All Line Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
A couple of questions about sleepers and all line rovers:

1. Am I right that you can use a sleeper departing either the evening prior to the date the ALR is valid from and also leaving the evening on its last day of validity, so arriving the day after it is valid?

2. If you have a first class ALR and pay for a single berth, (Scotrail or FGW) will they give you one in the first class section or just sole occupancy in the standard clas section?
It might seem an odd question but after being repeatedly kept awake by loud Americans travelling to Edinburgh in the Standard section I try to only use First Class in the summer tourist season.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
2. You can pay for 1 standard berth where you will be sharing, or pay for a private berth (first class) This is about Scotrail :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
1. Am I right that you can use a sleeper departing either the evening prior to the date the ALR is valid from and also leaving the evening on its last day of validity, so arriving the day after it is valid?

You cannot start using your ALR before it becomes valid, so the answer is "no" to the first part of your question. You might be thinking about a similar easement for InterRail holders. However you can buy a ticket from your origin to the first station passed after midnight and use your ALR from there onwards as it is valid from 0001 on the first day of validity. The train does not have to call there as the split satisfies NRCoC Condition 19(c).

The answer to the second part is "yes". You can finish your sleeper journey, even if it finishes the following morning.

Essexman

Established Member
Yes I was thinking it was the same as InterRail.
So to use the Penzance sleeper I have to book it from Reading and buy a single from Paddington to Reading? I assume that they'd still let me in the berth at Paddington?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Depending on the timetable, how far you have to purchase a ticket to can vary. For example, tonight you only need a ticket to Slough (timed to pass at 0007).

As long as you have booked a berth beforehand, there is no reason why they would refuse you access. (In theory anyway.)

34D

Established Member
The answer to the second part is "yes". You can finish your sleeper journey, even if it finishes the following morning.

And indeed, any journey that starts before midnight (or before 04:29 for travelcards).

Status
Not open for further replies.