• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smallest Official UK City with a Rail Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

supervc-10

Well, I had no idea just how large the City force is, or that they dealt with financial stuff everywhere. In which case, it probably makes sense to keep them!
What I was going for though was to not have tiny little forces covering very small areas which could be perfectly happily covered by the main force in the area. The current county sized police forces do an excellent job- but I was thinking that there would be some back office savings to merge tiny forces like Mersey Tunnels into the main force in the area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
The football teams called Brechin City.

I have probably mentioned this five times since the City Status announcement a couple of weeks ago.

The "City" suffix in Brechin City's name bears no relevance to the settlement's City Status - or lack thereof. Instead, the club were formed on City Road in Brechin; it is from this road that the "City" suffix originates.

34D

Established Member
So by that reckoning Brimingham is the largest populated city in Britain and we shouldn't refer to it as 'The Second City'.

You mean Birmingham? Depending how you measure (population or area, whole metropolitan area or just city) Leeds is bigger than Birmingham.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
You mean Birmingham? Depending how you measure (population or area, whole metropolitan area or just city) Leeds is bigger than Birmingham.

You are saying that Leeds (798'000 according to wiki) has a larger population than Birmingham (1'036'900) and is there for a more populated city ?

Par

Im sure Gosport is only a town

Yes it's a town, and a town with a smaller population than Oldham (pop 103,000) which is surely the largest settlement in Britain without a railway station, albeit not a city?

Yes it's a town, and a town with a smaller population than Oldham (pop 103,000) which is surely the largest settlement in Britain without a railway station, albeit not a city?

Only if you dismiss the trams... which provide a better rail service (and onward connections) than many towns connected to the Network Rail network have!

Par

Only if you dismiss the trams... which provide a better rail service (and onward connections) than many towns connected to the Network Rail network have!

Possibly, when the tram system finally opens!

Two and a half years since the last train ran, six months late already and no definitive date as to when it will finally open for business!

34D

Established Member
You are saying that Leeds (798'000 according to wiki) has a larger population than Birmingham (1'036'900) and is there for a more populated city ?

Assuming that is just Birmingham city then fair enough. Is Leeds bigger on area though?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
From what I can see:
Birmingham - pop 970,892 - area 22,296 hectares
Leeds - pop 443,247 - area 10,920 hectares

Status
Not open for further replies.