• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smelly Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Not what you think :lol:

Smells associated with stations - some no longer there.

Poole always used to smell of dog food (Millers Pies factory :shock:)

Branksome - Chip shop. Always makes you hungry when you stop there

Hook - Used to have a chocolate factory on the down (Now Tesco's) used to love stopping there

Smellylands - Berrylands. *hit farm

Clapham - used to smell of fish paste. Don't know what it was

Waterloo - on approach. Beautiful smell of roasted coffee from a little factory on the Up side. Can't stand the taste of coffee but adore this smell.

Salisbury and Reading used to have abbatoirs right by. Smelt disgusting

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate subway smells of p*ss!

Grimsby and Cleethorpes smell of fish, as does Whitby!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Doncaster can smell a bit disgusting if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, due to the large sewage works positioned directly to the north of the station.

(Side question - is there any reason why sewage works always seem to be built next to railway lines?)

Kris

Wakefield Kirkgate subway smells of p*ss!

Grimsby and Cleethorpes smell of fish, as does Whitby!

Slightly off-track. Whitby is Old Norsk for White Town Whit pronounced Vit and By (village or town) pronounced Boo.

Grimsby - Grim means ugly hence Ugly town :lol:

Comes from when the Vikings invaded

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Spondon, on the MML south of Derby. IIRC there is an ICI chemical plant near the station, and whilst going through isn't too bad, stopping trains really get the smell. Another one is Cantley in Norfolk, right next to a sugar beet refinery, again, very smelly. On the other hand, IIRC, Welyn Garden City has a nice smell since there is a Weetabix factory or something like that next to it.

jd

Somewhere between Cheltenham and Bristol is the Olbas Oil Factory. But I don't know if you can smell it or not, Voyagers don't have much air exchange going on when the doors are shut. Suspect you can though.

Kris

O nthe subject of Voyagers - I was passing to Brockenhurst today and the cleaner was spraying tons of air freshener in the vestibules to cover the smells.

Trouble is - they don't think of people who have asthma. I don't but even I struggle to breathe and had to move down the coach (door was locked open).

D306

Established Member
I'm sorry but there is one obvious one you missed. the footbridge stinks of **** and theres cctv camera on there as well. as there are no station toilets (I think) they just go upto the footbridge and do their business. the station is Bletchley (Milton Keynes. Owned by Silverlink)

WessexWarrior

I have on numerous occasions seen chavs use Christchurch's footbridge as a urinal. Nice.

However, if we're talking about bad smelling stations, there can be only one winner: Rye House.

This station's waiting room/plastic commuter box has been used as a toilet on numerous occasions. And on top of that, it not only sits at the back of an industrial estate, it also has the misfortune to be placed right next to a sewage work's pressure release pipe, so it smells of shat for about 18 hours a day.

Kris

See my first sentence - 'Not what you think.'

I didn't mean smelly stations as regard to peoples toilet habits - I mean the smells associated with the surrounding area.

I always thought Mexborough station smells of cinnamon, found out why today. I was trying a New York cinnamon bagel and thought it smelled familiar, turns out they are baked pretty much behind the station in Swinton:|

CraigS

Established Member
When travelling on either the WCML or Bakerloo line between Willesden and Wembley there is a McVities factory and you can sometimes smell biscuits and cakes.

Kris

Forgot about P6 Salisbury - curry house just down below in Fisherton Street. Makes you feel hungry again.

westcoaster

Established Member
I'm sorry but there is one obvious one you missed. the footbridge stinks of **** and theres cctv camera on there as well. as there are no station toilets (I think) they just go upto the footbridge and do their business. the station is Bletchley (Milton Keynes. Owned by Silverlink)

there are toilets at bletchley, the bridge is not that bad i walk across it every day to work trains, pl6 is the worst cause ppl on the mv line trains do there business and it drops on to the track, and just sits there nowt done about it.

When travelling on either the WCML or Bakerloo line between Willesden and Wembley there is a McVities factory and you can sometimes smell biscuits and cakes.

even worse when your hungry or drinking tea with no buisciut

Jim

Established Member
Trowbridge stinks of whatever Bowyers are making

KODIAK BEAR

Is that Bowyers Pies? If so - that's what Poole used to smell like - Millers Pies - dog food smell.

christ thats a blast from the past, porkie millers. most of my mates used to work there in 81-82. it bloody stank that place :whdat:

Status
Not open for further replies.