• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snake on a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
Yesterday, Shipley-Leeds

Presumed corn snake loose on train

==edit==
obligatory quote from article added

Snake on a train leaves passengers terrified as reptile slithers through carriage​

The snake, believed to be a Corn snake, was pictured on the train heading to Leeds

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Quite harmless but many people have a negative attitude towards snakes.
My other half certainly does but then she originates in West Africa where they are much more dangerous.

duncanp

Established Member
My other half certainly does but then she originates in West Africa where they are much more dangerous.

Until the snake has been identified, you cannot be sure that it is harmless.

Acey

Found a large, live Hedgehog in the washbasin of a Vep ( I think ,could have been a Cep ) in G Pk shed some years ago !

Established Member
It's the transport secretary.

Off to a Cobra meeting. ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From BBC in 2018, a similar looking snake had escaped on a bus in Shipley.

A snake had to be removed from a bus by police officers after it was spotted on the back seat of the vehicle.
The TLC Travel-operated bus was in the centre of Shipley, near Bradford, at around 11:45 GMT on Saturday when the snake was found.
West Yorkshire Police described it as the most "unusual" call of the day.
The force said the harmless corn snake, around 2ft (0.6m) in length, was safely removed and the bus was allowed to resume its normal route.
Seems a bit suspicious to me; makes me think the owner is up to no good.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Why are snakes always portrayed in such a negative way? I'm assuming that you're no fan of TB? Corn snakes are really friendly and make ideal pets.
Snakes have a negative connotation because of the Book of Genesis - the Serpent being the animal that tempts Eve to take the forbidden fruit. As such anybody who is seen as lying/manipulative (i.e. all politicians) gets labelled a 'Snake'.
Red next to black, jump back. Red and yellow, cuddly fellow.

(Not exactly sure this is true so probably best not to use it in any snake situations).
I think you've got the mnemonic the wrong way round - Coral snakes are the (very) venomous snakes, and have Red on yellow. The form given on wikipedia is 'Red on black, friend of Jack. Red on Yellow, kills a fellow' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsnake. It's only applicable to certain snakes in North America (mostly Kingsnakes), who imitate the Coral Snake's banding to deter predators.

Last edited:

malc-c

Snakes are not slippery! And corn snakes are lovely, non-dangerous little things.

Why are snakes always portrayed in such a negative way? I'm assuming that you're no fan of TB? Corn snakes are really friendly and make ideal pets.

As a keeper and breeder of snakes for over 35 years there has always been lots of misconceptions and negativity towards snakes over the years. Cornsnakes do indeed make good pets, as do quite a few other species. The sad fact is that we are seeing lots more stories like this, along with lots of abandon snakes as people were hit with the high running costs due to the energy crisis.

The "red to black, venom lack... red to yellow kill a fellow" refers to how to identify if the red/black/yellow pattern refers to a non-venomous tr-colour king snake or a highly venomous coral snake, both of which inhabit the same region.

al78

Established Member
Because they are frequently assosiated with the deadly variants from which projection to all follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.