• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward111

when is it most likely to snow in scotland, i wanted to go up on the sleeper but wanted to know when snow is most likely around aviemore area :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'd try around winter time! ;)

Boom boom! But to be fair, gearjammer is right, i'm no expert, but January through to early March seems to be the best time for some decent snowfall, though lets be honest, unpredictable is the word for UK weather!!:D

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You reckon people on this forum have better knowledge of weather forecasting than people on metrological sites?
I don't know if that's a compliment to us or an insult to the professionals!
Even the tourist information folks at Aviemore should be worth a call?

Anyway, if last year was anything to go by, (and every year is different, isn't it) it was the middle of last January which saw the line north of Aviemore closed after a snow-related derailment (see this thread) followed by another closure in February when the snow plough failed to shift the stuff.

So perhaps the question at that time of year should be, do you want a one way, or were you hoping to get back again as well? ! ! ! ! ! !

Established Member
Word of warning - I wanted to go on a HST from Inverness in January to see the scenery in the snow, ended up getting no further than the information stand at Newcastle. £60 down the drain in hotel fees.

mrcheek

Established Member
I timed things perfectly earlier this year, with a trip to Inverness in the 2nd week of March.
No snow fell, and the lines were clear, so no trains were affected. But there was still plenty of snow on the ground, making the Scottish landscape look even more beautiful.

Established Member
Even by midsummer's day there were still pockets of snow visible on some of the peaks around Aviemore.

It will be back soon enough!

It snowed in Edinburgh in May this year!
Admittedly it was only a couple of hours, and it didn't last long, but even so. :lol:

I think this year was also the first time I've had snow on my birthday too :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Much to my surprise, there was snow in the shopping centre in Basingstoke today...

Chris999999

Basingstoke shopping centre started on their Christmas decorations last week with trees, imitation snow and penguins.

In view of the chaos even a small amount of snow causes to transport around Basingstoke, this is a worrying development.

Perhaps they are planning to compete with Aviemore.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Basingstoke shopping centre started on their Christmas decorations last week with trees, imitation snow and penguins.

In view of the chaos even a small amount of snow causes to transport around Basingstoke, this is a worrying development.

Perhaps they are planning to compete with Aviemore.
These are not actually their Christmas decorations but they are having a "snow fest" this weekend only.

I enjoyed watching a man spray fake snow on some trees whilst eating breakfast in the Lloyds Bar in the shopping centre this morning.

scotsman

Established Member
My advice:

1 - Wrap up warm (-17* is by no means pleasant)
2 - Reserve (but don't pay for, if you can possibly avoid it) a room in advance
3 - Always have a back up plan
4 - Expect the unexpected
5 - No TOC will pay out because of snow cancellations

If you want snow, then head for Dalwhinnie, lower average yearly temperature than Iceland (The country, not the freezer shop)

Been in December and January, and you sound like you like the same as me, the beautiful snow capped mountains, so go for January.

paul1609

Established Member
when is it most likely to snow in scotland, i wanted to go up on the sleeper but wanted to know when snow is most likely around aviemore area :D

I go climbing in Glencoe every new year. The last 2 years there has been snow in the valley sufficent to disrupt the A82 and rail.
The previous 6 years there was no snow below 1500-1800 ft.

EltonRoad

I visited the West Highlands in the week before Christmas last year. I'd never seen scenery like it before, it was just magical. See photos below.

Attachments

• RAN_0007.jpg
    RAN_0007.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 20
  • RAN_0068.jpg
    RAN_0068.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 17
  • RAN_0078.jpg
    RAN_0078.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 21

Established Member
I have a few photos of the snow from late December and early January, nothing particularly special, just a few I like.
It was pretty spectacular going to a breaker's yard just outside the city in the snow in January, but also problematic as a lot of the doors, bonnets and boots were frozen shut, so you couldn't get into the cars at all :lol:

Attachments

• P1060006.jpg
    P1060006.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8
  • P1060007.jpg
    P1060007.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1060048.jpg
    P1060048.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P1060139.jpg
    P1060139.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P1060146.jpg
    P1060146.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 8
I visited the West Highlands in the week before Christmas last year. I'd never seen scenery like it before, it was just magical. See photos below.

Reminds me of the views from the Caledonian Sleeper on the West Highland in the early hours of a winters morning. Bring on the winter!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I was up the A9 road from Perth to Aviemore and then around the Cairngorm Mountains over Easter 2009, ostensibly to get shots of the Great Britain 2. Wonderful snow capped scenery mixed with spring colours. Dava Moor was spectacular as well. It was a very satisfying few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.