• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Service Changes 25/02/18 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Surely the frieght train shouldn't have been allowed to proceed in the weather conditions knowing that there was a high likelihood the points would fail and stitch up the passenger service for literally hours? We'd have been fine had the freight train not been there!

Based on the theory, you would also cancel the passenger train a lot of people do not understand how the railway works in the real world

Antman

Established Member
Based on the theory, you would also cancel the passenger train a lot of people do not understand how the railway works in the real world

Don't passenger trains generally take priority over freight? Could the points not have been checked in advance? I don't know, maybe more to this than meets the eye?

AndrewE

Established Member
Don't passenger trains generally take priority over freight? Could the points not have been checked in advance? I don't know, maybe more to this than meets the eye?
In this de-staffed ("efficient") age there may be no staff to check such things. The freight may have picked up a key to unlock a ground-frame en route and only discovered the problems when trying to get the train into the sidings.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure why that wasn't built enclosed. Other footbridges built in recent times have been.

It was reopened later, but whatever is the case about it the flooring really needs to be replaced, as it's dangerous on anything other than a hot sunny day. Smooth tile is useless for anywhere where people will be walking in with wet shoes on, let alone anywhere actually outdoors. Crikey, you'd think NR would realise that given that they've not long replaced all the tile on Preston's platforms with concrete slabs because it was too slippery (if I recall rightly).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I appreciate they have more alternative options re metro but what does running less trains allow them operationally? Is it to allow fast trains to use slow lines if needs be or is there something else they can do by running less trains.

One thing they can do to avoid disruption is to plan a timetable that doesn't require movement of points, so if they freeze or stick it doesn't matter. On the south WCML, for example, that would involve VT on the fasts and LNR on the slows (other than possibly the Crewes), normally LNR have a few fast line paths an hour between Ledburn (or MKC) and Euston.

Personally speaking I find it more exciting as a result. I really hope I get to travel tomorrow when the snow is falling.

I must admit I enjoyed being out in it yesterday, I find it quite atmospheric. But then I was quite confident it wasn't bad enough to result in no service...indeed, the WLL was performing better than usual with almost no turning short.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
It was reopened later, but whatever is the case about it the flooring really needs to be replaced, as it's dangerous on anything other than a hot sunny day. Smooth tile is useless for anywhere where people will be walking in with wet shoes on, let alone anywhere actually outdoors. Crikey, you'd think NR would realise that given that they've not long replaced all the tile on Preston's platforms with concrete slabs because it was too slippery (if I recall rightly).
Someone signed that off as being safe too.

pacenotes

At Paddington yesterday they weren't clearing snow or gritting and let it build up.

GWR/TFL stations have been gritted for weeks now but Paddington is national rail....

theageofthetra

On Moderation
At Paddington yesterday they weren't clearing snow or gritting and let it build up.

GWR/TFL stations have been gritted for weeks now but Paddington is national rail....
Naturally no one will be getting fired for this crass incompetence.

There is a snow drift blocking the Up Line between Berwick and Alnmouth, so all VTEC services are suspended north of Newcastle. Northbound/Southbound services will be starting from Newcastle.

Mutual ticket acceptance is in place between Virgin Trains East Coast and Great Northern, TransPennine Express, CrossCountry, Hull Trains and Grand Central, via any reasonable route.

So you're screwed pretty much if you're stuck in Edinburgh/Glasgow today...as VTWC seems to be out as well.

ANP1990

Doesn't help that the gwr website has gone - no doubt due to the number of people checking the site

johntea

Established Member
Castleford is totally knackered, points failure somewhere I think.

Had to catch the bus, but wondering if I can get a cheeky bus ticket refund from Northern / Arriva if I send it in (as I have a rail season ticket)

Surprised they haven’t cancelled their strike on Saturday yet, the way things are going it isn’t going to disrupt many passengers further than they already are!

Overhead line damage on the Up Line at Hemsworth (between Wakefield and Doncaster). All lines blocked.

Advice to issue shortly - customers not to travel today.

gavin

Services between Newcastle and Edinburgh will not run today

All Grand Central services are cancelled today with the exception of 10:48 London Kings Cross - Bradford Interchange

MarlowDonkey

Paddington station is reported as being closed, with local services terminating at Ealing and others at Reading.

Is it known why? Is the snow that heavy in West London?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Paddington station is reported as being closed, with local services terminating at Ealing and others at Reading.

Is it known why? Is the snow that heavy in West London?

Ice. Some platforms have now re-opened and a shuttle service is running between Paddington and Reading to connect in/out of long distance services.

gavin

Paddington station has partially reopened a reduced timetable will operate

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern have cancelled all Manchester Airport to Liverpool services for the rest of the day due to the 319s dropping like flies in the weather conditions. TPE services operating as normal on Chat Moss now the failed 319 at Newton-le-Willows has been moved.

skyhigh

Established Member
I was working in York yesterday - there was disruption to pretty much every service by the time I finished. Class 185 horns were failing all over the place, resulting in them being tested on incoming trains and a watering can of warm water being provided in an attempt to defrost them. A 150 also froze up after being left in the station for a while and refused to move when required, leading to a short form. We'll see what it's like later today...

pacenotes

Looks like it started to snow in the station at Paddington!

DXMhhJNW4AAzLBa.jpg:large

M28361M

Lots of short-notice cancellations being advertised on Merseyrail's Twitter feed this morning, with many peak services short formed, due to unit faults caused by weather conditions. Apart from a few brief showers, Liverpool seems to have escaped most of the snow so far. However it is very cold and icy and the 507/508 fleet seem to be having trouble with it.

TFN

Leaky roof, or snow being blown in along the tracks? I cannot ever recall it happening before.

Vents/haps in the roof. It was really bad yesterday in the evening peak. I'm shocked that they Network Rail let the platforms get to that state considering snow was blowing through the roof since yesterday...

pemma

Veteran Member
Apart from a few brief showers, Liverpool seems to have escaped most of the snow so far. However it is very cold and icy and the 507/508 fleet seem to be having trouble with it.

If it's like it is in Cheshire it looks like the sort of conditions that third rail trains don't perform well in.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Looks like the Up GEML between Manningtree and Ipswich is closed at present and the job has stopped.

GodAtum

On Moderation
managed to get to Marlow from Paddington, will there be trains running back?

Status
Not open for further replies.