• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
As Coxster stated FCC had some electrical/lighting problems with Potters Bar, Brookmans Park & Welham Green stations. I was on the 2105 from Moorgate to Welwyn (which is also my taxi to the yard!) and we stopped at all stations with our driver informing people to take care when alighting! As well as this the overheads came down on the Hertford loop trapping three trains on the branch all in passenger service!

Here's hoping for a better night tonight although as I type it looks like there are more problems between Stevenage - London via Hertford...!

Those issues are carrying on from last night. The loop had been closed all day.

It was weird earlier, north of Elstree tunnel, it was like everything had snow on. Snow was everywhere. Yet as soon we left the tunnel heading to London, there was no snow at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
quater to three? lazy bugger :lol:;)

Too bloody right! Was up til about 0500 though doing my all-time moves book. Was up til about 0400 today doing the same, crawled out of bed a little earlier though :D

Due to have snow tonight, I reckon it won't happen. Flipping cold enough though.

richa2002

Established Member
Those issues are carrying on from last night. The loop had been closed all day.

It was weird earlier, north of Elstree tunnel, it was like everything had snow on. Snow was everywhere. Yet as soon we left the tunnel heading to London, there was no snow at all.
Really interesting, just a very subtle difference in temperature makes all the difference.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Was awake this morning doing my all-time moves book still (when will it end?!) and decided to have a look at the falling snow. At 0415. It was nothing much compared to what we had in the countryside years ago, but nevertheless, here's what my part of Kington looked like earlier:

DSCN3105.jpg

This was looking from my room towards the roundabout on the bypass

DSCN3106.jpg

Looking now towards the town centre

DSCN3107.jpg

Finally, the 4x4 that seems to have racked up the thousand hours sitting outside over the road covered in snow

Death

Established Member
Was awake this morning doing my all-time moves book still (when will it end?!) and decided to have a look at the falling snow. At 0415. It was nothing much compared to what we had in the countryside years ago, but nevertheless, here's what my part of Kington looked like earlier:
Ye lucky so-and-so, mate! We've had one night of snow down here over the past couple of days...But it was only a light fall, and the sun light on Wednesday melted and evaporated it all again. :shock::sad::cry:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/43019/DSCN3107.jpg
Finally, the 4x4 that seems to have racked up the thousand hours sitting outside over the road covered in snow
I'd say! It's been standing there so long that it's actually visible on Google Maps! Poke thy postcode into the site and see what I mean! :shock::lol:<D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh I will...Just got some bits and bobs to do first...

I suppose we should all be lucky that we've not had major flooding as they have in Devon...

Coxster

Established Member
Ye lucky so-and-so, mate! We've had one night of snow down here over the past couple of days...But it was only a light fall, and the sun light on Wednesday melted and evaporated it all again. :shock::sad::cry:
Go over the ranges between Mytchett and Brookwood - believe it or not but there's still left over patches over there. Saw them from the train coming home.

TheSlash

Established Member
There was alot of snow still on the ground today, so lots of wet Track maintenance staff by lunchtime :roll:
I saw one field that still had a perfect covering.
It must of been cold today because you could run a shovel along the troughing, pick up a decent amount of snow and watch it turn into a solid block of ice ready for your unsuspecting victim

P156KWJ

Established Member
lotds of ice still left on our roof earlier compared to others - so shows our loft insulation is very good :lol:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The snow surprised me travelling into London on Wednesday morning! But what was particularly strange was that there was only a covering on a very small area. There was none at Peterborough, but by Huntingdon there was a covering. However, it suddenly stopped (as class 313 said) on the other side of one of the tunnels coming into London! First October snow in London for 70 years apparently.

Mintona

Established Member
I still haven't had any snow, I just freeze to death under perfectly clear skies. Not fair...

Established Member
On Tuesday, Can Confirm there was no Snow at all in the Channel Islands and it was just hail.

Status
Not open for further replies.