• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Songs where you go “Aargh” and lurch for the Off button

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I can't do any rap or RnB.

What really grinds my gears is the Jo Wiley circa 2005 dinner party indie music like Keane, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand, Kaizer Chiefs, Razorlight etc... Thankfully that era doesn't get a lot of air time these days.

I'm a man of 90s electronica. Give me the Prodigy, Orbital, Massive Attack and the Chems over any of the above.
Very good point.

I was at the races yesterday and there was a DJ set after, it was Ricky Wilson from one of those bands. I remember those days and you are right it was kind of ok but quickly became very coffee table.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You can ring my bell (not to do with signalling)
Tina Charles, I love to love
Kelly Marie - Feels Like I'm In Love

Luckily, now found only on the Mike Smash and Dave Nice hour

Very good point.

I was at the races yesterday and there was a DJ set after, it was Ricky Wilson from one of those bands. I remember those days and you are right it was kind of ok but quickly became very coffee table.

I spent a couple of years driving around Moseley & Kings Heath delivering for a reputable courier company. Radio 1 was the soundtrack to my day. However, Wiley's 10-til-1 slot soon became a vehicle to force that garbage on to the listener and it didn't take long before I switched to the Ian Collins Show on Talksport.

Class 33

Established Member
Toploader - Dancing in the Moonlight. Whenver the intro to that comes on the radio I immediately reach for the volume switch to turn it right down. Absolutely dreadful irritating song!

Acey

Any song that mentions an American city/town in the lyrics,especially New York !

DannyMich2018

Toploader - Dancing in the Moonlight. Whenver the intro to that comes on the radio I immediately reach for the volume switch to turn it right down. Absolutely dreadful irritating song!
I agree completely about that song! I can't stand Snow Patrol- Chasing Cars. Awful dreary song which was on charts for ages and didn't go away quickly.
Also does anyone notice how many cover versions are in the charts these days? One of the Now series, can't remember which but its recent has at least 9 covers versions of various 80s, 90s and 00s songs.

McRhu

HALELUJAH (any and all versions). I hate and detest that song with the pure white fire and unquenchable vehemence of a trillion supernovae pouring out their searing wrath on every detestable note.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I quite like it. I bought two Toploader CD',s both of which were quite good.

And all for a band named after a type of video recorder !

HALELUJAH (any and all versions). I hate and detest that song with the pure white fire and unquenchable vehemence of a trillion supernovae pouring out their searing wrath on every detestable note.

I agree. Definitely over-hyped.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I agree. Definitely over-hyped.
Toploader's previous single was the underrated (at the time) "Achilles Heel" which sank largely without trace other than play on MTV2 and Peel or Mark & Lard.
Then they followed it up with Dancing in the Moonlight, which was awful on the first listen but once you'd heard it in nearly every shop all afternoon would have you praying for the sweet relief of death. I'm pretty sure they keep a copy of that song on hand at Guantanamo Bay.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Toploader's previous single was the underrated (at the time) "Achilles Heel" which sank largely without trace other than play on MTV2 and Peel or Mark & Lard.
Then they followed it up with Dancing in the Moonlight, which was awful on the first listen but once you'd heard it in nearly every shop all afternoon would have you praying for the sweet relief of death. I'm pretty sure they keep a copy of that song on hand at Guantanamo Bay.

I'm fortunate enough not to have had to endure the retail industries non-stop playlists (many of my friends have !) - but I do quite enjoy "Dancing in the Moonlight" when it comes on !

I might crank open the old CD player and give those two another listen !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I’m just going to take a moment to breathe in these words. I think you’re right, but I couldn’t have put it as succinctly as that…

johnnychips

Established Member

The song is as appalling as people have said. However the band is not named after a video recorder or a washing machine (as I thought). Apparently a toploader, when making a joint to share, puts more resin in the bit he is going to smoke.

D821

Having listened to Dancing in the moonlight the washing machine explanation seems more likely.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The song is as appalling as people have said. However the band is not named after a video recorder or a washing machine (as I thought). Apparently a toploader, when making a joint to share, puts more resin in the bit he is going to smoke.

I had heard that - but for some reason I find the idea of them naming themselves after a video recorder more amusing :lol:

For me its Empire State of Mind (New York) (or whatever its called! You know the one!) By Alicia Keys

There seem to be a few threads about songs you react to, but I think this is a new category.

You are having a pleasant day listening to the car radio, when suddenly this song comes on. You scream and turn it off immediately because you really, really can’t stand it.

Mine is ‘Young at Heart’ by The Bluebells. I have no idea why but I just absolutely detest it. Of course things like ‘Grandma, we love you’ would provoke a similar reaction, but they aren’t likely to come up on mainstream radio.

Over to you but I bet ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ comes up before post #13. I can just about bear it…

Edit: the other two I thought of were ‘Another Day in Paradise’ by Phil Collins and ‘Common People’ by Paul Young. I can rationalise these: they are both sanctimonious AND crap.
Agree with you about the Bluebells version. The Original by Bananarama is FAR Better IMHO....

Ashley Hill

Established Member
You can’t seem to go through summer without hearing We Built This City (on Rock and Roll) by Starship at least twice a day on the radio.

Eyersey468

Established Member
For me its Empire State of Mind (New York) (or whatever its called! You know the one!) By Alicia Keys

Agree with you about the Bluebells version. The Original by Bananarama is FAR Better IMHO....
I never knew the Bluebells version was a cover version to be honest, every day is a school day

I never knew the Bluebells version was a cover version to be honest, every day is a school day
Indeed
Sarah Keren and Siobahn actually wrote the song along with Robert Hodgens. It was never a single release here and is from their album "Deep Sea Skiving"...
(Can you tell i'm a bit of a Bananarama Fan?!)

Songs that have me reaching for the mute button include anything by justin beiber, ed sheeran and george ezra and the song called this is me.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Songs that have me reaching for the mute button include anything by justin beiber, ed sheeran and george ezra and the song called this is me.
+1 for Justin Bieber as well, he comes across to me as a spoiled brat to be honest

D6130

Established Member
I fully agree....although I like most of Leonard Cohen's other songs - especially 'Suzanne' and 'Paper Thin Hotel'.

ex-railwayman

I'd be intrigued to know when either of those were lasted played on any radio station anywhere... I'd be surprised if it was more recent than about 1990.

If the 1981 original wasn't bad enough there have been various cover versions recorded since about 2005 done by various artists, I'd never listen to any of them, but, you can find the videos on YouTube......lol

Cheerz. Steve.

Lost property

Out of the blue, well ok, the ether if you prefer, not one but two !..heard on successive days. Well not heard in full as my finger hit the "OFF " button with record breaking speed...thankfully as I didn't have a convenient sick bag to hand.

Bobby Goldsboro "Honey "

Red ??..."Teddybear "

Both should be marketed as an over the counter emetic

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Out of the blue, well ok, the ether if you prefer, not one but two !..heard on successive days. Well not heard in full as my finger hit the "OFF " button with record breaking speed...thankfully as I didn't have a convenient sick bag to hand.

Bobby Goldsboro "Honey "

It is a bit sickly. "Summer The First Time" is an absolute classic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.