• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Songs where you go “Aargh” and lurch for the Off button

Status
Not open for further replies.

For me B52s Love Shack and You're The One That I Want John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John are very irritating!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Anything by the likes of Cardi B

Who?

(see the "You know when you're getting old when..." thread...)

;)

Mull Of Kinytre - absolutely dire,
I think I'm the only person in the world not to hate this song. I mean, it's not the best song ever, and certainly not the best McCartney song, but it's not bad. Interesting factoid about that song for me personally is that it was the first song that I was aware of being at Number One. Perhaps that's why I have a more favourable opinion of it than average, it was one of my very earliest pop music memories.

Just thought of one in recent times which irritated me. Trumpets by Jason De Rulo, I found the chorus very annoying.

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds. The reason being that they were the best band in the world for their first five albums, and then hit the big time with that atrocity, so now whenever you tell anyone you love Simple Minds they say "I know them... Don't You Forget About Me?" and then you have to hide under your chair.

I'm with you but add to the list "Red Red Wine" by UB40 and anything they did after that.

nw1

Established Member
I'm with you but add to the list "Red Red Wine" by UB40 and anything they did after that.

I do agree that "Don't You (Forget About Me)" is not their best. It's OK, but not their best. A very rare case (I presume) of a song not written by the band, too. For me it's "Glittering Prize" or "Promised You A Miracle" (the former of which I only really "discovered" in 2014 having missed it first time round) but I guess discussing one's favourite songs by a particular band is OT for this thread.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Anything by the Irish band U2.

Overinflated egos with heads stuck up backsides, and also the best part is that they love their home city of Dublin so much that a while ago they closed down and relocated their recording studio to Switzerland so as to not pay the Irish Government any tax.

Basil Jet

On Moderation

Overinflated egos with heads stuck up backsides, and also the best part is that they love their home city of Dublin so much that a while ago they closed down and relocated their recording studio to Switzerland so as to not pay the Irish Government any tax.
I watched 2 hours of non-stop U2 videos an a Freeview channel a few years back. I noticed that whenever my eyes were open, all I could think about was how annoying Bono is. And when my eyes were shut, all I could think about was how beautiful their music is. I ended up blinking my eyes as fast as I could, to see how quickly I could get the pain and pleasure to alternate.

8A Rail

Established Member
Independence Day by Martina McBride
Anything by Billy Bragg or the Wolfe Tones
You'll Never Walk Alone
Obviously referring to the original version by Rogers and Hammerstein from the film 'Carousel'! :lol:

In the meantime, my take, anything by Elvis Presley!!

Trackman

Established Member

seconded.

Mull Of Kinytre - absolutely dire,
Have you heard the Mark and Lard mix of it? , sorts of sums it up. - It's on You-tube.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Why? He is simply awful and vastly over rated. :lol: Each to their own eh!
His pole position in the development of pop/rock music cannot be denied, whatever you think of his voice/style. When i was growing up Cliff Richard was being promoted as the 'English Elvis' and girls at my primary school used to swoon at mention of his name. I always thought it was like comparing a pomeranian to a doberman.

Pinza-C55

Oh crikey, anything by UB40 really really annoys me, I really have no time for them at all.

Well "in my opinion" their music pre Red Red Wine summed up the bleakness of Thatcher UK. I remember walking from Kings Cross to the Angel for a job interview with "Food For Thought" by UB40 on my radio and that part of London was a post apocalyptic wasteland.

8A Rail

Established Member
His pole position in the development of pop/rock music cannot be denied, whatever you think of his voice/style. When i was growing up Cliff Richard was being promoted as the 'English Elvis' and girls at my primary school used to swoon at mention of his name. I always thought it was like comparing a pomeranian to a doberman.
As I've said each to their own. As for your initial comment, that is arguable. Shall we move on .......

nw1

Established Member
I watched 2 hours of non-stop U2 videos an a Freeview channel a few years back. I noticed that whenever my eyes were open, all I could think about was how annoying Bono is. And when my eyes were shut, all I could think about was how beautiful their music is. I ended up blinking my eyes as fast as I could, to see how quickly I could get the pain and pleasure to alternate.

I've never found Bono annoying to be honest. On the other hand (while I generally like the Sex Pistols and the Who) Roger Daltrey and John "Three Passports" Lydon are quite another matter..... <g, d & r>

Howardh

Established Member
A recent one, that flaming Elton John Rocket effort. What a dirge and yet people have it on in pubs and on the radio. An instant turn-off.

trainmania100

Established Member
Pretty much any songs I've never heard before on the radio, especially the new ones and they try and drive into your head by playing it 10 times a day

d9009alycidon

I've never found Bono annoying to be honest. On the other hand (while I generally like the Sex Pistols and the Who) Roger Daltrey and John "Three Passports" Lydon are quite another matter..... <g, d & r>
Here's one reason. Keeps some very dodgy company!

Attachments

• QegfBFo8EADWbirESNL97uDLyxlTbYQo.jpeg
    QegfBFo8EADWbirESNL97uDLyxlTbYQo.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 27

nw1

Established Member
Pretty much any songs I've never heard before on the radio, especially the new ones and they try and drive into your head by playing it 10 times a day

I'm getting to that stage nowadays. I favour "oldies" stations these days, particularly 70s-90s but they often mix them up with new songs that are often not particularly good.

I occasionally hear some good new music but it's rarely played on the "oldies" stations.

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

I would have to say "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" by Tears For Fears. I loved TFF when they started out but by the time of "Sowing" they seemed , like Simple Minds , to have taken a turn I didn't like. And it's so obviously based on "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" it's a wonder they didn't get sued.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm not much of a fan of Beyonce, but that latest one they're plaing now is terrible. My washing machine sounds better on full pelt.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Why? He is simply awful and vastly over rated. :lol: Each to their own eh!
Yes, each to his/her own. Personally, I distinguish between his early material and the later years when his talent was wasted in the cr*p "B movies" that self-styled "Colonel" Parker lumbered him with.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A recent one, that flaming Elton John Rocket effort. What a dirge and yet people have it on in pubs and on the radio. An instant turn-off.
Assuming you mean "Rocket Man", it's hardly recent... It was first released in 1972!

If you dislike Elton's version, I'd steer well clear of Kate Bush's take on it. I love almost everything Kate Bush has recorded, but that one is certainly not her finest!

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
That song that just says "Lets get down to business" over and over again. I can't understand what the value of it is.
Hey that's 'The Business' by Tiesto who is an EDM legend. I personally quite like the song, but I'm probably in the minority there.

When I was Your Man by Bruno Mars. Always comes on the radio and I hate it.

Its wierd as I like most of Brunoe Mars's other songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.