Sorry but this maybe a rather complicated question

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by suzanneparis, 15 Feb 2020 at 12:45.

1. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

A week tomorrow on Sunday 23rd February I am travelling from London to Leicester.

I want to buy my usual off peak return. St Pancras to Leicester.

BUT.... there's a bus replacement service for the journey from London St Pancras to Leicester, which I don't like using. I would prefer to go Euston to Nuneaton to Leicester.

Question. IF I go to Euston Station next Sunday 23rd and buy a return ticket from St Pancras (will they sell me a ticket from St Pancras??) to Leicester off peak return would I be allowed to use that ticket on the Euston to Nuneaton to Leicester route?

For information when I use the return portion of the ticket I shall be going from Leicester to St Pancras direct.

Many thanks for any help.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Doesn't seem possible but I'm sure the more learned will find a way!

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

What price is your usual off-peak return?

5. RJ

RJ Established Member

The National Rail journey planner confirms that the usual Super Off Peak ticket from London Terminals to Leicester (£43.55 with your railcard) is valid to do Euston - Nuneaton - Leicester next Sunday.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...&isOutboundJourneySelected=true&dataSource=jp

6. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Indeed it does, although it's a little confusing that when you click for details of the ticket it says only valid to/from St Pancras. However, if you then examine routes it gives both Euston and St Pancras.

7. Hadders

Hadders Fares Advisor

The ticket will be issued from ‘London Terminals’ rather than ‘London St Pancras’.

8. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

Valid, but...

it’s probably a good idea to get an itinerary when booking and/or seat reservations.

Euston’s gateline are finicky at the best of times, and argumentative at worst.

9. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

You asked this before.

I don't think we can really say anything that hasn't already been said. It is valid.

My advice is to buy online with the itinerary you want; stick to the trains in your itinerary, which is evidence of a contract.

Buy from a retailer you trust to help out if things go wrong. If anyone questions the route, show them your booking confirmation.

10. Bookd

Bookd Member

I know nothing about this specific route, but it you have a ticket from London Terminals to just about anywhere within reason, and Euston is a London terminal, surely you have a valid ticket and staff should not object at the gateline - you would then be on your own.

11. RJ

RJ Established Member

What should happen and what does happen are not always one and the same. It is salient advice to travel with an itinerary to reduce the chances of being blocked from travelling by the gateline in this instance.

12. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

I would echo the advice about getting an itinerary. Furthermore, if it is Avalti West Coast staff who you expect problems from (Euston Gateline) then book the ticket on the Avanti website too. However, if your journey out of Euston is with LNW/WMT it may be that you'll be able to get onto the train without having your ticket checked before boarding.

13. SickyNicky

SickyNicky Verified Rep - TrainSplit.com

Just to explain why this is valid, it's Permitted because it's within 3 miles of shortest route (from Euston) according to the electronic data.

Mileage 115.60 (Shortest possible 112.69)

14. kieron

kieron Established Member

That is, I think, why it doesn't give you any options for trains which go via Northampton. Luckily, there are a few trains to Nuneaton which go the other way.

15. RT4038

RT4038 Member

This is not right. The Euston-Nuneaton service generally does not travel via Northampton.

16. kieron

kieron Established Member

Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what you are disagreeing with here. There are a few LNR trains on a Sunday which are scheduled to call at Nuneaton and Northampton, and Avanti trains which should go that way without stopping at Northampton.

NRE does not give say that a through ticket is valid using any of these trains (as you should be able to see here*). I don't know if there's another web site which says it would be valid. If not, I would suggest that someone with a London-Leicester return ticket should either avoid those trains or ask permission before boarding one of them.

* You may need to delete any nationalrail.co.uk cookies you have for this link to open correctly.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:40