• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Still no clarification of the length of the midweek replacement bus service from Radyr to Cardiff. Given they aren't been forthcoming with it I can only assume its going to be a while!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not sure how much I buy it since their social media seems useless, but TfW's Twitter is telling me the replacement buses between Pontypridd and Cardiff will be in operation every single Sunday to Thursday evening until the new tram trains are in operation.

If that is the case then they really should be much much clearer in their communication because there's a bit of a difference between having a replacement bus for a few weeks / months, and having one for well over a year!

And this isn't me moaning about the disruption, I'm more than aware it needs to happen for the improvements. But the communication around this is awful. They are just trying to avoid saying to the public how much work actually needs to be done and hoping people dont catch on imo.

Last edited:

woolos

Tfw have not operated a half hourly services between Aberdare to Pontypridd for a few days staying signalling systems .how long will it take to repair.?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Tfw have not operated a half hourly services between Aberdare to Pontypridd for a few days staying signalling systems .how long will it take to repair.?
one would presume this depends of the nature of the damage. ie length seriousness and availability of parts

Dai Corner

Established Member
Woolos TFW says the 5th April now it is pathetic!
Apparently pilotman operation is in place on the Aberdare branch.

Is it still mechanical signalling up there? Maybe TfW don't have the skills or can't source the parts to fix it?

Fun fact: There are still freight paths to/from Tower Colliery and thus gaps in the passenger service even when the signals are working.

anthony263

Established Member
Tfw better keep watch as I’ve notice stagecoachs 60/61 bus service getting busier and evenOn a Sunday I’ve noticed a sudden increase in passenger numbers on my 600 bus on a Sunday . One of my customers said Sunday they gotten fed up with the unreliability of the trains

DaveHarries

Established Member
Apparently pilotman operation is in place on the Aberdare branch.

Is it still mechanical signalling up there? Maybe TfW don't have the skills or can't source the parts to fix it?

Fun fact: There are still freight paths to/from Tower Colliery and thus gaps in the passenger service even when the signals are working.
No. The last mechanical box on the Pontypridd - Merthyr / Aberdare route was, to my knowledge, Abercynon which was abolished 30-May-2008 with control passing to a panel which is located in a two-storey portacabin construction that can be seen from the station.

Dave

kingquiet

So far as I know only on agricultural land. Highways and gardens, and presumably trackside, are not covered.
It is illegal to disturb a breeding bird, anywhere. It is not illegal to cut back vegetation. Most organisations choose to not do vegetation works during the bird breeding season as it leads to severe complaints, plus actually ensuring you do not impact a breeding bird can be very difficult in many vegetation type.

Dai Corner

Established Member
No. The last mechanical box on the Pontypridd - Merthyr / Aberdare route was, to my knowledge, Abercynon which was abolished 30-May-2008 with control passing to a panel which is located in a two-storey portacabin construction that can be seen from the station.

Dave
Thanks for the info. Shows how long it's been since I've been up there. Something I must put right now the fault seems to have been fixed and the normal half-hourly service resumed.

mrmartin

Hi, sorry if this has been covered - couldn't see it. Are there still plans to do an integrated ticket for bus/train services in the cardiff area? Any news on it? The current situation is pretty dismal.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It is illegal to disturb a breeding bird, anywhere. It is not illegal to cut back vegetation. Most organisations choose to not do vegetation works during the bird breeding season as it leads to severe complaints, plus actually ensuring you do not impact a breeding bird can be very difficult in many vegetation type.
Also if you find a bird you have to stop the job, so there is a fairly high risk that you'll have to come back again when nesting season is over. So it's often better not to attempt the work at that time of year.

anthony263

Established Member
Hi, sorry if this has been covered - couldn't see it. Are there still plans to do an integrated ticket for bus/train services in the cardiff area? Any news on it? The current situation is pretty dismal.
The Welsh government are doing such a ticket in the future yes. Wish they’d hurry up though

Envoy

Established Member

Be very wary about buying tickets that include local services and long distance trains - even where the only company involved is TfW. Check out a pay on the day return from say Fairwater in Cardiff to Llanelli on the TfW website. Then check it out on https://www.traintickets.com/?/and you will see what I mean.

TravelDream

Be very wary about buying tickets that include local services and long distance trains - even where the only company involved is TfW. Check out a pay on the day return from say Fairwater in Cardiff to Llanelli on the TfW website. Then check it out on https://www.traintickets.com/?/and you will see what I mean.

Split ticketing is a huge issue across a lot of the network. I think TFW has a lot of work to do to ensure that people don't lose out. It could be as simple as automatically applying the cheapest option with split tickets.

Take Merthyr to Llanelli leaving right now (a route I have done several times).

On TFW's website, they only offer the anytime single which costs £25.10.

However, I can totally legitimately buy:
Merthyr to Bridgend anytime single - £5
Bridgend to Gowerton off-peak day return - £7.60 (£9.30 if I travel during the peak and need to buy an anytime single)
Gowerton to Llanelli anytime single - £4
Total = £16.60
That's a saving of £8.50 - a massive difference given the fare.

It would have huge revenue issues on this flow though. It would also cause issues as the split ticket itinerary wouldn't be valid on GWR services between Bridgend and Gowerton.

tomwills98

Also if you find a bird you have to stop the job, so there is a fairly high risk that you'll have to come back again when nesting season is over. So it's often better not to attempt the work at that time of year.
IIRC, you send a qualified nature person to check for signs of nesting. If no nesting cut down as normal, if there is you make a 5 metre boundary around it and move on to the next tree. I guess depending on the necessity of the work you either check regularly to see if the bird has moved on or wait until nesting season is over.

Markdvdman

If you buy an advanced Single Bridgend to Llanelli it can be as low as £8. (Was £6.50 not so long back but was bound to rise!) Together with the £5 default single to Bridgend that can be as low as £13. Maybe cheaper Merthyr to Llanelli advanced but not so usual these days! TFW do need to sort their act out agreed!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
IIRC, you send a qualified nature person to check for signs of nesting. If no nesting cut down as normal, if there is you make a 5 metre boundary around it and move on to the next tree. I guess depending on the necessity of the work you either check regularly to see if the bird has moved on or wait until nesting season is over.
Yes you can. But from the point of view of someone trying to deliver a project to a budget and deadline:
  • Qualified nature people probably cost more than people with chainsaws
  • Even if the chances of not being able to finish are only 10%, you're faced with the cost of sending out another team on another day to finish the job
  • Probably most significant of all, if you can't rely on the work being completed on time, this may threaten the programme for a whole range of activities that follow on
So usually best to plan this work for a time of year when there's no risk of encountering nesting birds. Or do what some developers have done - and been roundly condemned for - put nets on the trees before nesting season so the birds can't get in.

Envoy

Established Member
If you buy an advanced Single Bridgend to Llanelli it can be as low as £8. (Was £6.50 not so long back but was bound to rise!) Together with the £5 default single to Bridgend that can be as low as £13. Maybe cheaper Merthyr to Llanelli advanced but not so usual these days! TFW do need to sort their act out agreed!
The Member of the Senedd for Llanelli is non other than Lee Waters. Wonder if he has told his constituents all the split tickets they need to buy from the Welsh Government run TfW in order to get the cheapest prices to get from a to b? Even the buses in Llanelli to the local hinterland do not go to the station but from the town centre - about a mile away. No wonder people use cars. Anyway, we digress from the Metro in SE Wales but I think it was worth mentioning that we clearly have an unfair fares system - even when using just the TfW trains. It is no good being all talk and no action on this matter. The moral of this tale is not to use the TfW website to buy your train tickets.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Member of the Senedd for Llanelli is non other than Lee Waters. Wonder if he has told his constituents all the split tickets they need to buy from the Welsh Government run TfW in order to get the cheapest prices to get from a to b? Even the buses in Llanelli to the local hinterland do not go to the station but from the town centre - about a mile away. No wonder people use cars. Anyway, we digress from the Metro in SE Wales but I think it was worth mentioning that we clearly have an unfair fares system - even when using just the TfW trains. It is no good being all talk and no action on this matter. The moral of this tale is not to use the TfW website to buy your train tickets.
I understand he drives between his constituency home and Cardiff and his main home is in the Vale of Glamorgan.

He's probably not even aware of the fare.

Envoy

Established Member
I understand he drives between his constituency home and Cardiff and his main home is in the Vale of Glamorgan.

He's probably not even aware of the fare.
I read that he lives in Penarth rather than some remote place in the rural Vale of Glam. The fact is that our elected representatives who are waging war against the car and refusing to build new roads should be aware of the public transport fares and ease of travel/overcrowding etc.

Markdvdman

It also highlightd the issue with the South Wales metro. It's West Wales operation or potential operation is pitiful! I have often got off the train in Llanelli, to walk to the bus station to get the last bus onward. If you did not know the area you would not know where it is! Bigger towns in West Wales need proper connections. Carmarthen is a touch better but still not good!! Merthyrs bus staion is close to the railway station now but no connection capability as yet. Swansea is far from the railway station too. Future thoughts on bus stations should be about easy and close rail links but that is but a pipedream!

Tomos y Tanc

I read that he lives in Penarth rather than some remote place in the rural Vale of Glam. The fact is that our elected representatives who are waging war against the car and refusing to build new roads should be aware of the public transport fares and ease of travel/overcrowding etc.
There are very good family reasons why Lee Waters choses to live in Penarth. They're fairly well known although it's a private matter and it's incredibly unfair to judge a father for doing his best for his child.

Tumbleweed

As I passed over the bridge in Taffs Well yesterday the station was very busy - with engineering work. I briefly noticed this weird diamond crossing that's appeared between the platforms.

Yindee8191

As I passed over the bridge in Taffs Well yesterday the station was very busy - with engineering work. I briefly noticed this weird diamond crossing that's appeared between the platforms.
Taff’s Well is being moved north a bit, to allow for a junction into the new depot at the southern end of where the platforms currently are. Presumably the crossover is related to the depot junction?

Tumbleweed

Taff’s Well is being moved north a bit, to allow for a junction into the new depot at the southern end of where the platforms currently are. Presumably the crossover is related to the depot junction?
Yes the southbound track now has a double turnout.