• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Compare this with Network Rail's repair of the bridge over the Thames between Didcot and Oxford. They gave an accurate estimate of when it would be completed and the line actually opened a day earlier.
However, that was an emergency closure when the work they were planning to do didn't fix the problem - if all had gone as planned there would have been no closure at all. With civil engineering, particularly when old earthworks are involved, there is a risk of finding unforeseen problems regardless of whose network they are on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
A lot of things that are managed by the Welsh Government or pseudo agencies of them are a disaster at present in my opinion.

I think the point that is being made is that to discover an embankment problem so late in the work, or so it would appear, after several extensions to the finish date asks the question how could this be discovered so late? Or on the other hand why do you keep giving new completion dates, surely you should be at a stage when you know what is left to do and the issues that may affect this work. I can see why the travelling public would not be impressed.
I would say it is not an apparently out of control project on the scale of Crossrail/Elizabeth-line which was nothing to do with anything Welsh. Now the Elizabeth line is up and running it is apparent that it is very popular and all the past delays are forgotten. No pain without gain. In the case of the Valleys lines falling foul of Victorian engineering that is probably not very well documented at all and geological features that are more unreliable since global warming gave us so much more rain then prolonged drought.

Markdvdman

Well this AM on the Merthyr Line was magic....... Got there for the 5:35am bus replacement, and the guy waiting for the train said there are trains. The board said trains were running, the TFW app did and National rail did! I mentioned announcement on Twitter but nowhere else it appears, except belatedly buried in Journey check on the TFW website. Loads did not get on the first bus as they were waiting for the trains. One woman I talked do on the bus back was late for work by one hour as she believed the trains were running. That is a poor state of affairs and one TFW person gave the 'wrong times' for the bus replacements, until I pointed it out, and they corrected them! The only good thing I suspect is people will know tomorrow but the handling of all this has been appalling!

On the Cadoxton board towards Cardiff this morning, it had Barry Island as the destination, and delayed, as National Rail screwed that up something rotten! It is a good job I check everything as it is so hard to trust them to make things known when engineering work over runs like this!

bramling

Veteran Member
Well this AM on the Merthyr Line was magic....... Got there for the 5:35am bus replacement, and the guy waiting for the train said there are trains. The board said trains were running, the TFW app did and National rail did! I mentioned announcement on Twitter but nowhere else it appears, except belatedly buried in Journey check on the TFW website. Loads did not get on the first bus as they were waiting for the trains. One woman I talked do on the bus back was late for work by one hour as she believed the trains were running. That is a poor state of affairs and one TFW person gave the 'wrong times' for the bus replacements, until I pointed it out, and they corrected them! The only good thing I suspect is people will know tomorrow but the handling of all this has been appalling!

On the Cadoxton board towards Cardiff this morning, it had Barry Island as the destination, and delayed, as National Rail screwed that up something rotten! It is a good job I check everything as it is so hard to trust them to make things known when engineering work over runs like this!

They do seem to have managed to mess up *every* Valley Lines route today. Planned works on the Treherbert line, over-running works to Merthyr and Aberdare, points failure suspending Coryton and screwing up Rhymney-Penarth, and just in time for the evening peak an ambulance attendance at Cadoxton disrupted the Barry route as well.

AdamWW

Established Member
Well the good news is that they've arranged for rail tickets to be valid on rail replacement buses:

"Replacement road transport services are conveying passengers between Pontypridd and Merthyr Tydfil in both directions until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Transport for Wales rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys."

Isn't that considerate of them?

And, even better pehaps, as there are no trains to Coryton at the moment due to an "unexpected signal failure" or "points failure" (take your pick):
"Ticket Acceptence has been arranged between Cardiff and Coryton."

Last edited:

PsychoMouse

I notice Quakers Yard hasn't received any service for the past couple of days, any ideas why or when it can be expected to reopen? the TFW website doesn't have any info.

Markdvdman

Yes, the old ramp is not fit for H&S and wheelchair access etc. So they have build a level access which is not yet active. I believe it will be next week perhaps Thursday, according to a poster in Pontypridd Railway Station - but that could yet change!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Yes, the old ramp is not fit for H&S and wheelchair access etc. So they have build a level access which is not yet active. I believe it will be next week perhaps Thursday, according to a poster in Pontypridd Railway Station - but that could yet change!
TfW Journeycheck says

Quakers Yard: Station Closed
Quakers Yard station will be closed from 05:00 on 16/06/2023 until further notice due to urgent repairs to the railway.
Additional Information
Rail replacement bus will be servicing Quakers Yard to Merthyr Vale and Abercynon for connecting trains.
Last Updated:20/06/2023 08:08

56xx

When I travelled up last Saturday we went through on the new line alongside the new platform at Quaker's Yard. Don't know if the down trains use the old line or if the new up line is now the default in both directions.

Work has started on extending the double track section at Tirphil on the Rhymney line. A new point is in place about a mile north of the existing end of the double track and the formation is being prepared in between. It should give just enough time for a 15 minute return journey to Rhymney with 2 stops at Pontlottyn to achieve the 4 tph to Rhymney in the Metro plan. There won't be much turnaround time at Rhymney.

Last edited:

Hwnt52

When I travelled up last Saturday we went through on the new line alongside the new platform at Quaker's Yard. Don't know if the down trains use the old line or if the new up line is now the default in both directions.

Work has started on extending the double track section at Tirphil on the Rhymney line. A new point is in place about a mile north of the existing end of the double track and the formation is being prepared in between. It should give just enough time for a 15 minute return journey to Rhymney with 2 stops at Pontlottyn to achieve the 4 tph to Rhymney in the Metro plan. There won't be much turnaround time at Rhymney.
I had a walk down to the station at Quakers Yard yesterday to see what was going on. A large army of people were busy working on the down platform. When I asked I was told the work would take some days and to take the bus. I guess like everything else here it will be finished when it's finished.

anthony263

Established Member
I don't think that all the Penarth trains will be to/from Coryton (otherwise they would just get 2 tph).

I do not believe there has ever been direct track between Coryton and Radyr. The line used to extend from Coryton north to Treforest where it should have but didn't join up with the Taff Vale.
2tph Coryton to Penarth and 2tph Caerphilly to Penarth. If the loop at Rhiwbina hadn't been dropped you'd get 4tph on the Coryton branch.

I agree the extension of the Coryton branch to Radyr would provide a good feeder service around CARDIFF and much improved service

Is a loop planned on the Coryton line? If not, 2tph max.
Was supposed to be at rhiwbina at the moment now only going to be 2tph

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The other branches have a section of double track immediately south of the terminus, implying trains will pass very close to it, allowing more turnaround time. Is that not planned for the Rhymney branch?

Last Hurrah

The loop at Rhiwbina was dropped as decisions on spending priorities had to be made

The Metro programme as it stands is a 1st phase

When completed, requests for add ons, to enhance/extend can be considered

The new Cancer Hospital being built to replace Velindre provides an an opportunity to extend the line beyond Coryton to the new Hospital site - at which point a Loop at Rhiwbina is back on the table

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
There is a passing loop planned for Penarth to allow an increase in capacity
Do we know where this is likely to be situated? Do Dingle Road or Penarth have the space to implement a double track or is it going to be one of these dynamic passing loops?

Bob Price

Do we know where this is likely to be situated? Do Dingle Road or Penarth have the space to implement a double track or is it going to be one of these dynamic passing loops?
I believe it's being finalised but will have to be a dynamic one somewhere, as you say there is no room in the actual stations.

anthony263

Established Member
The loop at Rhiwbina was dropped as decisions on spending priorities had to be made

When completed, requests for add ons, to enhance/extend can be considered

The new Cancer Hospital being built to replace Velindre provides an an opportunity to extend the line beyond Coryton to the new Hospital site - at which point a Loop at Rhiwbina is back on the table
Be fun as they've recently installed all new wiring where the loop was supposed to be. I suspect once the line gets extended from Coryton to Radyr it might be once putting a loop at Coryton again

56xx

Yes but there is a proposal for a new bay platform at Rhymney which may mean that as one train runs in the other departs.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes but there is a proposal for a new bay platform at Rhymney which may mean that as one train runs in the other departs. It begs the question however as to why the need to extend the Tirphil loop.
With short and fixed intervals between trains on the shared sections, the timetable essentially fixes the amount of time between when each train goes up each branch and when it comes back. This dictates the locations of double track sections and passing loops, and which outer termini need a second platform.

Officially what’s being constructed now is Phase 2.

Phase 1 revolved around the extension to Ebbw Vale, some bus links and cycling infrastructure at stations. It cost £62m verses an originally budgeted £740m for what’s being delivered now (Phase 2). But that’s by the by.

An easy quick win for Phase 3/the next phase would indeed be 4tph to Coryton and potentially beyond to a new hospital and housing.

Last edited:

Markdvdman

56xx I am on the down train. It uses the old one going down but uses the new returning. Quakers Yard is an issue as the bridge fell foul of new building regs. That is what I overheard from the driver and the guard. What a waste of money they said. QUITE!

59CosG95

Established Member
56xx I am on the down train. It uses the old one going down but uses the new returning. Quakers Yard is an issue as the bridge fell foul of new building regs. That is what I overheard from the driver and the guard. What a waste of money they said. QUITE!
Would be interesting to know what these regs are and when they came into effect, and how exactly the bridge fell foul of them.

56xx

Thanks for that @Markdvdman . The points and new signalling must be in operation now.
I cycled down the Taff Trail last week when there were no trains. The new bridge, as well as serving the station also replaces a foot crossing giving access to the Taff Trail, which was about 30 metres north of the original platforms.
The bridge is now signposted as New Access to Taff Trail on the Edwardsville side. I asked the workmen if I could take my bike over the bridge and they said yes the bridge is ok but I have to take the bike down the steps as the ramp was faulty. So it may be the gradient of the ramp is the problem.
There have to be flat sections at regular intervals, double handrails, maximum gradients etc. which the ramp may have fallen foul of.

takno

Established Member
Thanks for that @Markdvdman . The points and new signalling must be in operation now.
I cycled down the Taff Trail last week when there were no trains. The new bridge, as well as serving the station also replaces a foot crossing giving access to the Taff Trail, which was about 30 metres north of the original platforms.
The bridge is now signposted as New Access to Taff Trail on the Edwardsville side. I asked the workmen if I could take my bike over the bridge and they said yes the bridge is ok but I have to take the bike down the steps as the ramp was faulty. So it may be the gradient of the ramp is the problem.
There have to be flat sections at regular intervals, double handrails, maximum gradients etc. which the ramp may have fallen foul of.
AIUI the signalling on Merthyr and Aberdare is now exactly as indicated on https://traksy.uk/live/M+57+QUAKRSY with the routes appearing correctly as well

I believe it's being finalised but will have to be a dynamic one somewhere, as you say there is no room in the actual stations.
There will be a 2nd platform before Penarth station, just before the road bridge on the left. Trains will drop passengers off there before continuing to the current platform. Passengers may stay on if they require level access.

From the Amey/TfW plan it looks like the track will be doubled after Dingle Road station.

This is all planned for 2024.

Last edited:
There will be a 2nd platform before Penarth station, just before the road bridge on the left. Trains will drop passengers off there before continuing to the current platform. Passengers may stay on if they require level access.

From the Amey/TfW plan it looks like the track will be doubled after Dingle Road station.

This is all planned for 2024.

So what’s the point of this, is it to provide quicker access to the town, or is it in anticipation of extending the line further?