• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Lurcheroo

It reads much more like the driver will both open and close the doors.

Interesting that the drivers will actually be closing the doors, after a 1-2 on the buzzer, and also be required to check the platform train interface using the cameras before they do so. Also doesn't mention the guard actually having to check the PTI before boarding the train and giving the buzzer, just checking the signal.

At which point who is responsible for the safe dispatch of the train if anything goes wrong? It reads like it is to become the drivers responsibility.

Does anyone know if this is this closer to the method of working adopted for Greater Anglia?
Not sure about GA but definitely is how Avanti works

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikePJ

It reads much more like the driver will both open and close the doors.

Interesting that the drivers will actually be closing the doors, after a 1-2 on the buzzer, and also be required to check the platform train interface using the cameras before they do so. Also doesn't mention the guard actually having to check the PTI before boarding the train and giving the buzzer, just checking the signal.

At which point who is responsible for the safe dispatch of the train if anything goes wrong? It reads like it is to become the drivers responsibility.

Does anyone know if this is this closer to the method of working adopted for Greater Anglia?
Ah, I hadn't read this closely enough, thanks for pointing this out!

To your point about the guard's responsibilities: the document says that after the doors are closed the guard is required to monitor the PTI through the window and can stop the train at any point by pressing the emergency stop switch, which will apply the brakes immediately. This presumably counts sufficiently for the RMT that the guard retains a role in the safe dispatch of the train (and also noting that the agreement includes a requirement for a guard on every train, which is the RMT's general position on retaining guards in a safety-critical role and not converting them to a 100% customer service and revenue protection role). In the event of an accident, I would expect the investigating authorities to look at both the actions of the driver and the guard - the driver has the benefit of CCTV and also has their hand on the power handle, but the guard may hear a shout from passengers or see something through the window. I don't think safe dispatch has to be a single person's responsibility, it's more that where a guard is part of the crew they provide an additional pair of eyes on the situation.

Last Hurrah

I believe that TfW applied for planning permission for some kind of additional platform to align with the drivers cab at the Cardiff end of the station. Presumably this would be used in conjunction with a walkway to the existing platform. I'm sure there is a good reason that this is needed rather than the driver just walking through the train when it turns round.

For operational flexibility, will Coryton & Ty Glas be capable of taking a 4 coach train, as the other stations on the branch could do, should the need ever arise

JamieB44

Somebody on Twitter (@foxy_michael) posted this service map indicating the new service pattern that will begin in July 24 prior to the introduction of the full Metro changes, presumably in 2025. Makes things very clear IMHO.
Does anybody know if any more services will stop a Treforest Estate, when this new service pattern starts?

RJ

Established Member
Stagecoach has added a few X132 services in for the Fach, running express from Pontypridd Caddy's to Cardiff. Expect they're unlikely to survive long term.

But, as others have said, the rail replacement service is as good as a RRS can be. Combine that with the Rhondda railcard, I can't see enough passengers looking to switch from rail to bus. There's definitely been some switching from rail to car - if you're going to be stuck in Porth-Ponty traffic anyway, if you own a car/have parking at destination, it makes sense. I expect similarly people will switch back when trains return.

I expect it will disappear again when the train line through Porth reopens. I see it often and there seldom seems to be more than half a dozen people on board south of Ponty. So the service as it is is being very heavily subsidised.

Also I can't believe no-one has tried to resurrect the old X9 Rhondda-Cardiff bus service when the line was closed last year. The 122 takes the long and winding road to Cardiff! Surely one of the local operators could have made a killing? Would they be allowed to use coaches on the service, or are there new regs in place that the service would need to be low floor? I fondly remember the old National Welsh service down the bypass from Tonyrefail!

There’s no killing to be made, pretty much all the routes in the area are heavily taxpayer subsidised which is why the network has gone through multiple streamlining and consolidation exercises. I’ve run the sums and maybe if a single deck bus is filled with everyone paying £15 return, it can break even. I have my own ideas for running a service route in the area to create many new links but it’s going well off topic now.

Sorry for digressing!

anthony263

Established Member
398004 coming down from Old Dalby tomorrow hauled by a class 20 to Pengam then.up to Pontypridd.

Pontypridd station will be closed however it can been seen passing Radyr, Taff's well and Treforest

Hwnt52

Platform work being finished off at Treherbert today. Trackwork appears complete on the line with 150260 running up and down from Pontypridd all day. Little work seems to have been done at Ynyswen - a second platform needs to be completed here and it will be sometime before the station can reopen. Wiring is still not complete at various locations, Treherbert station, Dinas - Tonypandy and Porth in particular.

Attachments

• P1055495A Treherbert X.jpg
    P1055495A Treherbert X.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 150
  • P1055497A Treherbert X.jpg
    P1055497A Treherbert X.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 149

Meerkat

Established Member
What’s the gain of that doors procedure?
Guard still has to get to the right door at each station before it stops, so can’t spend more time with passengers.
And is buzzing the driver any quicker than hitting the doors close buttons themself?

Western 52

Lovely to see 20s at that location! The working was to Pontypridd and back, not stopping at Taff's Well. Did another 398 collect the unit from Pontypridd to take it to the depot?

anthony263

Established Member
Many thanks! Is this type of working likely to run again?
Yes as there's a few more 398s up at old Dalby that need delivery.

Just hope next time they remember to put enough fuel in the class 20s as the light engine movement from Pengam has been cancelled. Locos gone to tidal

Smwrff

Rhondda (Treherbert) Line update

11th Feb - Line reopens using old Class 150
25th May - Commissioning of OLE
30th May - Energisation of OLE
Summer 24 - Ynyswen Station Reopens
Summer 24 - New Class 756 introduced
Winter 24 Early 25 - New Class 398s introduced

AdamWW

Established Member
Rhondda (Treherbert) Line update

11th Feb - Line reopens using old Class 150
25th May - Commissioning of OLE
30th May - Energisation of OLE
Summer 24 - Ynyswen Station Reopens
Summer 24 - New Class 756 introduced
Winter 24 Early 25 - New Class 398s introduced

So presumably once it's open, there will then need to be full closures to commission the OLE?

Hwnt52

I cannot see Ynyswen opening in summer 2024. When I was there last week very little progress had been made apart from reinstating the second track. A second platform, footbridge and lifts need to be installed in what is naturally very wet ground. There never has been a second platform here. The station was opened in 1986 after the line had been singled.
So presumably once it's open, there will then need to be full closures to commission the OLE?

positron

Has anyone heard any updates on the Aberdare-Hirwaun extension? Last I read it was going through weltag but not heard anything since.

Does anyone know where the electrification at Aberdare ends? Presumably at the bufferstop?

Bob Price

If the extension to Hirwaun happens they will probably do it on batteries. Quicker and cheaper, makes the benefit cost ratio better.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I would have thought a half hourly extension to Hirwaun would be perfectly adequate. Make it 4tph and I doubt it could be done by “one tram on battery”, so the infrastructure cost would rapidly rise.

There’s at least one level crossing at Trecynon IIRC - will be interesting to see what the rail regulator’s view of that will be.

Has anyone heard any updates on the Aberdare-Hirwaun extension? Last I read it was going through weltag but not heard anything since.

Does anyone know where the electrification at Aberdare ends? Presumably at the bufferstop?
I travelled to Aberdare just before Christmas and from what I could see from a single track line all the OHL equipment was in place from Abercynon right through to the buffer stops at Aberdare except there was no wiring installed from just north of Cwmbach to Aberdare, so the electrification will stop at the end of the platform at Aberdare.

Western 52

Is the extension to Hirwaun actually approved and funded though? I know it's part of the metro plan, but just being in the plan doesn't mean it will happen.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The 2021 census shows Hirwaun to have 5237 residents, so the extension should be a viable scheme I'd guess.
And Hirwaun has some industry which could mean commuting in the less typical direction too if the terminus is within walking distance. (Not exactly sure what the proposal is in that regard.)