• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Bob Price

I heard 315's were going to be used. Simply electric Sprinters. Probably very little extra actual change from what we had at that time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member
I heard 315's were going to be used. Simply electric Sprinters. Probably very little extra actual change from what we had at that time.
Yes, they were going to be spare after Crossrail had opened, which was planned for 2016 at the time, or thereabouts, so would have saved some of the upfront cost

stressdoubt

Did the old Railway line to Creigiau pass through where Canada Lodge is now? Appears to be a bit of gradient around that area to avoid. I am sure an alternative route could be found especially if the line will be Tram Train. Loads of house building proposed in West Cardiff, it will be needed. Has there ever been a released detailed plan of the proposed route from Fairwater? Passing Fairwater yesterday on the City line, there appears to be houses located where you would expect the line to diverge off the city line.
Yes one of them did - there are two old lines running through Creigiau. The one you are thinking of went onto Pontyclun via Rhiwsaeson and the other came up from Cadoxton via what is now the link road to Cardiff from J33 of the M4 to the station in Creigiau and then went onto Efail Isaf and Ton-Teg, crossing over the other line near Tyn-y-Coed woods. There have been lots of vague plans over the years and there was a survey done at one point but nothing concrete. Thoses houses will have to go if they want to re-instate the route unfortunately but really they should not have been built in the first place - very short sighted at the time.

AdamWW

Established Member
Some serious work going on between Ty Glas and Birchgrove today. I don't know what the membrane they've put down is.

The line is supposed to be closed until Wednesday. (Despite TfW saying on posters and on Twitter that it was just Saturday - but that's OK because the information is there if you go digging on their web site, but not under "Changes to train services" because that would be too obvious).

1716744480877.png

Brissle Girl

Established Member
An interesting comment that work on the tram line from the Bay to Central is due to start next summer.

DelW

Established Member
Some serious work going on between Ty Glas and Birchgrove today. I don't know what the membrane they've put down is.
FWIW, the membrane is likely to be a geotextile which allows water to pass through but blocks fine soil particles. That prevents fines from the subgrade from migrating upwards and contaminating the ballast, which needs to be kept clean and free-draining to work effectively. It's widely used when track is relaid.

Markdvdman

I was speaking to a guard on the train, and the 756s, he reckons will not be in use next week in the main. The guards have had no training on them. So that begs the question, where are the spare 150s coming from? Also, TFW said the 756s would be running except for a few 150s on the VoG line. So not a good start for the new timetable. Unless the guard is wrong - only relaying what he said!

AdamWW

Established Member
I was speaking to a guard on the train, and the 756s, he reckons will not be in use next week in the main. The guards have had no training on them. So that begs the question, where are the spare 150s coming from? Also, TFW said the 756s would be running except for a few 150s on the VoG line. So not a good start for the new timetable. Unless the guard is wrong - only relaying what he said!

I think they said they would be continuing to run 231s on the Rhymney Line.

BillStampy

I think they said they would be continuing to run 231s on the Rhymney Line.
My only problem with that as of right now, the timetable change results in Rhymney trains running to Bridgend, which as of right now I'm almost certain they aren't cleared for. Which would result in swappings at (Cardiff supposedly) for every journey down to Bridgend. Barry isn't a problem as that's already cleared.

AdamWW

Established Member
My only problem with that as of right now, the timetable change results in Rhymney trains running to Bridgend, which as of right now I'm almost certain they aren't cleared for. Which would result in swappings at (Cardiff supposedly) for every journey down to Bridgend. Barry isn't a problem as that's already cleared.
They will be using 150s between Bridgend and Rhymney, won't they?

AdamWW

Established Member
Just looked again, it does seem that it doesn't swap. They'd use 150s for the Bridgend and 231s for Barry whilst they wait for 756s

I'm pretty sure that's what they said, with perhaps an implication that some of the Barry services might also be 150s.

BillStampy

Two tests are meant to run overnight (supposedly clearance runs for the 756s) to Aberdare and Caerphilly. (not sure why Aberdare, supposedly to be a side whilst we wait for 398s eventual appearance)

And that's supposing they run in the first place.

Last Hurrah

The line is supposed to be closed until Wednesday. (Despite TfW saying on posters and on Twitter that it was just Saturday - but that's OK because the information is there if you go digging on their web site, but not under "Changes to train services" because that would be too obvious).

View attachment 158821

Are they relaying the whole line to Coryton or just the section from Ty Glas to Birchgrove ?

It’s noticeable newly installed masts at Rhiwbina station are set well back, to allow a second track at a future date - repositioning the partially installed cable troughs nearer to the masts would then avoid redoing it at a future date

59CosG95

Established Member
FWIW, the membrane is likely to be a geotextile which allows water to pass through but blocks fine soil particles. That prevents fines from the subgrade from migrating upwards and contaminating the ballast, which needs to be kept clean and free-draining to work effectively. It's widely used when track is relaid.
Often-times used in conjunction with a stabilising "geogrid" laid over the top.

Signal_Box

Also less disruptive - stock movements would orobably often not be able to run at line speed.

The 398 delivery runs have been timed at 60mph train speeds, run in the small hours however.

I’d assume this particular unit isn’t passed for transit moves in network rail for some reason, I did read they (tfw) need to trial modified wheel profiles on the trams to enable on street running, maybe this one has modified tyres ?

StripeyNick

The 398 delivery runs have been timed at 60mph train speeds, run in the small hours however.

I’d assume this particular unit isn’t passed for transit moves in network rail for some reason, I did read they (tfw) need to trial modified wheel profiles on the trams to enable on street running, maybe this one has modified tyres ?
The only ones delivered by rail have been those that were already in the UK.

I think the location of the factory in Spain makes it easier for them to come across by sea to Avonmouth. Also, given the access to the depot, any deliveries by rail would probably have to be in the early hours of the morning given the faffing around that's needed to shunt them