• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There seems to be a higher amount of disruption on South West Trains services over the last 2-3 weeks. Today it's around Basingstoke.

They even had to cancel Britain's busiest train, the 07.32 from Woking. I wonder what the 07.47 was like today? Just imagine if that had been short formed. The short formations have reduced in number at least but that seems to have occur just as the number of other disruptions have increased.

Bit unfortunate for South West Trains as I'm fairly certain they are trying to do a good job. I have more confidence in them during disruptions than Southern.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill Badger

There are major problems today due to mulitple track circuit failures between Winchester and Basingstoke. Apparently the problem manifest itself last night and is still to be resolved.

I've avoided the chaos and gone to work in another office!

Monty

Established Member
It happened around 2130 last night, I had colleagues stuck on trains near Worting Junction for nearly 95 minutes. Quite surprised it's had such a huge effect on today's service.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They reckoned the problems might end around 11am. Only time will tell. It's breezy and cold today but I guess that's nothing to the people having to fix this stuff after last winters weather!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Now there is a problem at Havant level crossing causing up to 30 minute delays. What they need now is some singling problems between Wimbledon and Clapham Junction to join the party.

These problems can occur any time of the year I guess but does the mixed autumn weather lead to greater number of problems or our South West Trains just unlucky right now?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They're going through a period of renewals in the area just east of Wallers Ash tunnel, and at the S&C at the down end of Wallers Ash loops. It's why the line is closed most weekends at the moment.

Problem with stage work or just coincidence?

capital12

According to TM announcement on XC it was a lightning strike - have passed around 6 signals at danger between Shawford and Micheldever! Now looks like temporary block working towards Worting Jn.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The problems a couple of weeks ago were related to the new 'up relief' line being opened between Southampton Airport and Eastleigh, in fact I think all the issues recently on the SWML have been infrastructure related.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The problems a couple of weeks ago were related to the new 'up relief' line being opened between Southampton Airport and Eastleigh...

Or 'not being opened' as it eventually turned out. The significant difference seems to be it is now fitted with those proper end of possession limit boards...

infobleep

Veteran Member
Problems are now 60 minute delays. I'm travelling from Oxford to York tomorrow. Wonder if I'll be able to travel on any train or will it be fixed by then. I hope so for other passengers, although part of me would selfishly like to travel on any train.

Reading today was a bit messy. The departure of the 16.23 to Worcester changed platforms and I didn't check when I arrived, having previously looked on-line so went to wrong platform. Looks like another person didn't hear the announcement or it wasn't on the board as they missed it too. Various other trains were changing platforms too. Not sure why.

There was the late 15.09 to Manchester due in at 16.33. This then became 16.45. At 16.36 they announce the platform for the 16.40 to Newcastle and it was still showing as on time. It had all stops before Reading cancel. Despite being on time I didn't see loads of people running between platforms. Train turned up 2 minutes in advance. Drover walked down platform not in a hurry stopping for brief chats. Train still showing on time. Eventually left 7 minutes late. It started slow and then grounded to a halt for a minute or so. They updated the expected time twice during that delay. I had visions of the 15.09 leaving before us. However when I reached Oxford I saw that it was due to depart at 17.12 and hadn't even arrived in Reading yet. Hard luck to anyone who thought they would wait for that train to arrive, given it was due only 5 minutes after the train I got should have left. Despite all of this there was space on the train I got.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Took me over three hours to get from Southampton to Basingstoke followed by a minimum length break then a 4 vice 8 short formation!

Been an interesting day.

sarahj

Established Member
The problem at Havant Level Crossing was an HGV that took it out, barriers and all. I was a bit miffed with the SWT issues tonight. My Littlehampton to Portsmouth and Southsea was all nice and on time until I hit SWT land just before Havant, and then STOP!!!!. Slow all the way round. Had no info on why at all, just on the issues hitting southern (victoria TCF and point at Three Bridges). Took a phone call to find out issues at Winchester. then heard someone say quite a few signals knocked out. got turned around quick quick and managed to leave SWT land only 5 down. phew!!!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Train turned up 2 minutes in advance. Drover walked down platform not in a hurry stopping for brief chats. Train still showing on time.

Now I know people always refer to commuter trains as cattle trucks, but... :lol:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Now I know people always refer to commuter trains as cattle trucks, but... :lol:
Darn predictive texting typos. :lol: I do try to spot then.

Well things have returned to normal it seems bar some stations being cancellation due to late running trains and the short formations as usual, the latter of which are not so bad at the moment. Surprising given the issues yesterday and problems that can cause with stock out of place.

Interestingly at one stage yesterday evening, possibly 17.40 but may have been earlier, the 18.23 Waterloo to Basingstoke was still shown as running but by 19.00, it had been cancelled. The service to form it comes from Southampton way and I doubt they would have had any spare rolling stock they could use for it. Would they have even tried to run that service or would cancelling it merely be formality they had to get around to do when they got time? I'm sure it was fairly hectic yesterday. South West Trains could do with some claimer days now. I'm sure Cross Country feel the same. If it's not Basingstoke it's Dawlish sea wall.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
My Littlehampton to Portsmouth and Southsea was all nice and on time until I hit SWT land just before Havant, and then STOP!!!!.

Makes a change, if I had a pound for each minute I've waited at Southsea High Level with a fast Waterloo while your little 313 trundles into the low level platform 3 I would be quite rich by now!

sarahj

Established Member
Oi, leave our little 313 and their trundles. :lol: Mind, coming into the low level can be quite slow, esp P3. I'm not a driver, but there seems to be a signal right at the points which causes the train to almost halt, before moving on into the platform. Of course it could be a very low speed limit. I know that we lose line light as well for a mo. Perhaps I just need to put another 10p into the meter.
(note, in one cupboard on a 313 is a electricity meter, like you find in a house)

455driver

Veteran Member
Makes a change, if I had a pound for each minute I've waited at Southsea High Level with a fast Waterloo while your little 313 trundles into the low level platform 3 I would be quite rich by now!

Or sat at HT525 (the end of the direct protecting Havant jn) waiting for them to trundle out of Havant!

sarahj

Established Member
Or sat at HT525 (the end of the direct protecting Havant jn) waiting for them to trundle out of Havant!

Cheek, now if I had 10p for all the time we sit around portcreek waiting for a SWT some where. I'm sure havant box sees its a southern train and thinks, oh they can wait.

455driver

Veteran Member
Cheek, now if I had 10p for all the time we sit around portcreek waiting for a SWT some where. I'm sure havant box sees its a southern train and thinks, oh they can wait.

We love you really! ;)

Top Cat

The problems on Thursday between Eastleigh and Worting Junction appear to have been caused by a freight service with wagons containing road salt which ran through the area late on Wednesday evening where one of the wagons was leaking salt onto the track and damaging the track circuits - the freight was subsequently 'impounded' at Rugby. That also might explain the track circuit failures that occurred between Bramley and Reading affecting the up line for much of the day.
Someone is going to have a big bill for the disruption caused by this incident!!

infobleep

Veteran Member
The problems on Thursday between Eastleigh and Worting Junction appear to have been caused by a freight service with wagons containing road salt which ran through the area late on Wednesday evening where one of the wagons was leaking salt onto the track and damaging the track circuits - the freight was subsequently 'impounded' at Rugby. That also might explain the track circuit failures that occurred between Bramley and Reading affecting the up line for much of the day.
Someone is going to have a big bill for the disruption caused by this incident!!

Interesting because there was no mention on National Rail Enquiries of the problems between Bramley and Reading, other than the fact Reading to Basingstoke services would be 1 an hour. So I assumed that was caused by signal issues at Basingstoke itself. Clearly not.

Would an insurance company pick up the bill? Could such a leak be goods wagon failure or human error?

Welshman

Established Member

They'll probably take it with a pinch of salt. :)

ushawk

Established Member
Interesting because there was no mention on National Rail Enquiries of the problems between Bramley and Reading, other than the fact Reading to Basingstoke services would be 1 an hour. So I assumed that was caused by signal issues at Basingstoke itself. Clearly not.

There was, but the line was being treated as a separate incident. Had 2 postings on NRE.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There was, but the line was being treated as a separate incident. Had 2 postings on NRE.
OK I must have missed the other one. I was just looking on the Reading online departure board via the NRE app.

Monty

Established Member

Funny you say that I would think its the other way around, the amount of times I have been held at the low level or at Portcreek waiting for SN service. ;):lol:

sarahj

Established Member
Funny you say that I would think its the other way around, the amount of times I have been held at the low level or at Portcreek waiting for SN service. ;):lol:

Well I have now gone up a link and now have to learn Farlington to Southampton Central. So even deeper into SWT land. So perhaps you guys will be holding me up with your stops at Netley while i have to stand and smell the curry at Swanwick. ;)

sbt

Yep, this Self Loading Cargo has got VERY familiar with the details of the spare conductor rail just there.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Oi, leave our little 313 and their trundles. :lol: Mind, coming into the low level can be quite slow, esp P3. I'm not a driver, but there seems to be a signal right at the points which causes the train to almost halt, before moving on into the platform. Of course it could be a very low speed limit. I know that we lose line light as well for a mo.

That's because it's a permissive platform and the protecting signal will show red because the Southampton stopper is already in the platform. Only when you get really close to the signal does the shunt signal switch to showing two white lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.