• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Assessment Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Thanks that will also help me with mine. Got in on 19/3 at Grove Park. How different is the DM interview to the one you do as part of the psychometrics? Is it purely a competency based box ticking/scoring or is it the DM also deciding if he wants to manage you! My letter says its with Tony Wilson and Jim Black who I presume are based at Grove Park? I did actually apply for all London depots so does this mean I have been selected for GP or are all the London DM interviews done there? Good luck to anyone taking their DM's this week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BromleyBoi

I can only comment based on my experiences with Southern.

Baring in mind I was the last course with Southern to go through the old psychometrics tests so I'm not sure what the new criteria based interviews are like but Southern did the DM interview before the C.B.I and asked you exactly the same questions except you weren't expecting to get asked those questions so it's more to see how you handle with sudden pressure I think.

Again with the managers interview I can only say what Southern did and it's a case of you get interviewed by whichever managers are free so I'm being trained for Victoria but I was actually interviewed by a Selhurst & a Norwood Manager.

As for what the managers are looking for I honestly couldn't tell you.

Southeastern may well do things totally differently and as I say this is all based on the old tests and way of doing things pre October last year so some or all of it may be different.

Good luck to you anyway.

Sam82

Thanks that will also help me with mine. Got in on 19/3 at Grove Park. How different is the DM interview to the one you do as part of the psychometrics? Is it purely a competency based box ticking/scoring or is it the DM also deciding if he wants to manage you! My letter says its with Tony Wilson and Jim Black who I presume are based at Grove Park? I did actually apply for all London depots so does this mean I have been selected for GP or are all the London DM interviews done there? Good luck to anyone taking their DM's this week.

Hello theageofthetra. How was your interview day before yesterday? Can you share any information please? I will really appreciate it.

SEDriver

How did it go? You will now know that Jim is a DM at GP and Tony is the Area Manager. When I had my interview a few years ago I had it at Slade Green with their DMs, but ended up at GP.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Very hard to say. I really liked the depot and the drivers and staff I got chatting to in the mess room whilst waiting were very helpful and kind. Really helped put me at ease as did the interviewers. I guess its just a waiting game now but I would love the opportunity to work there.

Last edited:

Sam82

Very hard to say. I really liked the depot and the drivers and staff I got chatting to in the mess room whilst waiting were very helpful and kind. Really helped put me at ease as did the interviewers. I guess its just a waiting game now but I would love the opportunity to work there.

Many thanks for reply. Cheers.

seanybco4

Had my interview at on the 19th at Grove Park as well and still waiting to hear. I think my experience was similar to yours. The interviewers really put me at ease and made it a positive experience whatever the outcome will be. No trick questions or grilling. They really just want to get a sense of who you are and it felt quite relaxed. Have you heard anything yet? They said today would be the earliest but more likely next week.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Great news, got an e-mail today confirming, subject to medical, that I start training on 7/7! Thanks to to all those who gave help and advice on here. On my letter it does not mention when the medical is done, normally is it done ASAP or will it be much nearer the start date?

Thanks again and good luck to those still applying.

Gossy

Did my DM interview last week, then received my letter stating, pending medical I will start training in June.
Over the moon, but fully aware the hard work starts if I pass the medical.

Is the medical very thorough and are the Rules and Regs hard to grasp?

Thanks for all the info and advice, its been really helpful. Hopefully all goes well and I can begin in June.

Sam82

Great news, got an e-mail today confirming, subject to medical, that I start training on 7/7! Thanks to to all those who gave help and advice on here. On my letter it does not mention when the medical is done, normally is it done ASAP or will it be much nearer the start date?

Thanks again and good luck to those still applying.

Congratulations theageofthetra and Gossy :D

seanybco4

Did my DM interview last week, then received my letter stating, pending medical I will start training in June.
Over the moon, but fully aware the hard work starts if I pass the medical.

Is the medical very thorough and are the Rules and Regs hard to grasp?

Thanks for all the info and advice, its been really helpful. Hopefully all goes well and I can begin in June.
Me too, look forward to meeting you on the course. Thanks to everyone on here for your help.

jamesbevan

The last thing standing between me and this opportunity that I have been waiting for since I was 16 is the DM interview.

Smart appearance, researching SE, prioritising safety, flexibility and reliability are all the main focus but if anyone could shed some light on the interview I would be so grateful, seriously.

I've applied to be stationed at Victoria, but I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be an interview with the DMs at Victoria?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I think you have pretty much covered it. Being confident is also important. In an emergency situation you need to be in control and offer clear, direct instructions to confused and frightened passengers. Be yourself and you will be fine. I found it much more relaxed than the MMI and more of a chat and discussion. If you have never been in a depot or messroom I would suggest getting there early, look around, read that days notices, Spad incidents, safety improvement records etc. If there are drivers in there have a chat they can be a mine of useful info on the depot. Good luck.

SEDriver

When I had my DM interview a few years ago it was done at Slade Green with their DMs, even though I was going to be based at Grove Park.

There were about a dozen trainees at GP today learning traction. For those that are worried about it, don't be. It sounds like the course has been dumbed down an awful lot. It's only 17 days long now.

Gossy

Nice one, are you going to be based at Grove Park too?

Im going to be based at Faversham pending medical, which is not that far from me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The last thing standing between me and this opportunity that I have been waiting for since I was 16 is the DM interview.

Smart appearance, researching SE, prioritising safety, flexibility and reliability are all the main focus but if anyone could shed some light on the interview I would be so grateful, seriously.

I've applied to be stationed at Victoria, but I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be an interview with the DMs at Victoria?

Sounds to me like you have it covered. I did a lot of research on SE and the Line I would be working. Read up on the most likely questions I would face, from info given on this forum and prepared answers. Answered honestly, meaning if I didn't know the answer I told them so and my reasons why. There are some questions where you wouldn't know the answer until trained and there is no wrong or right answer.
I hope that helps.

seanybco4

I wouldn't stress out about it too much James. From what you've said on here it sounds like you've done more than enough homework and have the right attitude which is what they are looking for. I would agree with others when they say it is much less scary than the MMI. Just be honest and like Gossy said if you don't know the answer it's ok to say so, which is what I had to do for one of the questions. I think you probably have a good chance.

haikarate

Part of the reason I left SE is due to the 'driver only' trains. No backup when you need it. Never, ever go back to reset a passcomm on your own. Call the signalman who will call the police who will come and deal with it. A couple of drivers (quite recently) have been badly filled in in the past by gangs. Be very careful, thats all I'm saying. Security may have improved since I worked there 15 years ago, but I doubt it very much. I know of one driver badly beaten up who no longer drives, he now shunts at GP.

Last edited:

railton

Hello guys,

I've recently applied for trainee driver positions with both Southern and SE. Southern is not likely to come to anything due to my application being placed in a 'talent pool' with about 1500 others awaiting future positions. However I'm not sure what the current state of play is with SE?
I wrote to the recruitment team back in February and they replied inviting me to apply, which was a great start. I then filled in the application form, driver's questions and other bits and posted it off using recorded delivery. Now I'm just waiting to hear back...

There doesn't seem to be any way of contacting Southeastern other than email (unless anyone has a number I can try) so I'm just patiently waiting.
Has anyone else recently been through the same process? If so, how long did it take to hear back?
Also any SE staff know how many trainee positions are available/coming up?

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

SEDriver

Also any SE staff know how many trainee positions are available/coming up?

A SE DM posted this the other day when asked about driver recruitment - "keep an eye out in the Metro free paper and check the southeastern website because they will be advertising for drivers very soon."

Sorry I can't help you any more than this.

jamesbevan

SEdriver, would you be able to tell me a bit more about that? Who said it, when is it likely to be in the Metro? Surely SE have enough internal employees who would want to be drivers? How many see they recruiting and why? Many coming up to retirement age?

haikarate

No, many jump ship from suburban work and go to TOC's such as Thameslink, GNER, etc to do (relatively) long haul as opposed to being a tram service. Once you've done Sevenoaks / Blackfriars a few times (all stations stop) you'll see why. Oh and the dreaded Orpy-Vic turns. I remember one such shift was Sevenoaks-Blackfriars-Sevenoaks followed by your PN break. Then two more return trips. Soul destroying.

Last edited:

Class2ldn

Try doing 9 hours on the grove park- bromley north shuttle. Thats soul destroying. Grove park are the only ones who do the shuttles aswell.

railton

A SE DM posted this the other day when asked about driver recruitment - "keep an eye out in the Metro free paper and check the southeastern website because they will be advertising for drivers very soon."

Sorry I can't help you any more than this.

That's interesting... Hopefully that will mean my application will be close to the top of the pile as I've already sent it off to them :)

SEDriver

SEdriver, would you be able to tell me a bit more about that? Who said it, when is it likely to be in the Metro? Surely SE have enough internal employees who would want to be drivers? How many see they recruiting and why? Many coming up to retirement age?

Unfortunately I don't know any more than what I wrote. If I see a DM during my travels then I'll ask.

SE have used a fair amount of their non-driving employees to already fill driver vacancies. There is always going to be a small amount of natural wastage (retirement, transfers out etc) to create vacancies, plus a new pay deal is in the offing with a possibility of a reduction in our working week. This would also create more driver jobs.

Gossy

Could someone please tell me if train drivers and their families still get free rail travel? Plus, does this start when a trainee or after you have qualified?
Many thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.