• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern High speed train driver, Faversham, Ashford & Ramsgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gekko5154

Vic link 2 do sign to Faversham as I'm in that link. Apart from that JameyJames is correct.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Following the december changes, Link 1 does Faversham and the runs to Selhurst, Link 2 doesn't now.

Link 2 mainline work is as far as Gillingham (via sole street), Canterbury West Via Maidstone East, Metro work yes all ways to Gravesend, Hayes and also Blackfriars to Beck J and of course orpy-vics.

JJ

Vic link 2 do sign to Faversham as I'm in that link. Apart from that JameyJames is correct.

Thanks both.

If you have to go to Gillingham, I guess fast via Sole Street beats going via the scum! :D

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Only just seen this, didn't realise it would cause such a stir haha! What most say is true about HS - it can be fairly intensive work, and its DOO. There's only 3 main routes - via Medway (urgh, plus you'd be doing less actual HS), via Cantebury W, and via Dover on what I might describe as a soul-crushing rounder although not that many diagrams will take you all the way round

As a passenger travelling on the High Speed is fairly nice although 395s are looking a little tired, but the "prestigious" element has more that a little spin. Mainline depots at Ashford / Faversham / Ramsgate aren't struggling to keep their current drivers, and its somewhat telling this has gone external. Metro drivers are already emigrating fast to LO and GTR (even SWR), but if becoming a driver is what you want and don't mind potentially living near Ramsgate (again urgh), then by all means go for it.

Interesting to see that after a week its still on the site...

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I was being slightly tongue in cheek, but thank you. It does seem though that SE seems to get a bit of stick on here from its own staff which does make you think!

Do other TOCs regularly advertise for qualified drivers?

I think a lot of SE staff like to complain for the sake of it though haha. Medway isn't great and I like to jest about it, but its no worse than many areas of the country.

Yes they do, normally in isolation though. The fact this is an every depot advertisement is again, rather telling, as they've got depots with 50+ drivers on the doorstep.

Applepie356

Southeastern are currently advertising for a train movements apprentice. The salary is £18k...isn’t that a bit low for a train shunter? Also it appears you’ll need proof of your GCSE’s as it’s a requirement for most apprenticeships.

It’s interesting to note that the job position is still up yet if they was advertising for a trainee train shunter at the higher salary it would be taken down a lot sooner.

Regardless I applied for the position anyway as it’s a great opportunity to get into the railway. Unfortunately the salary is just over half what I currently earn!

I suppose you got to make sacrifices to get into the railway. Luckily i am in a good position to take such a large pay cut if I manage to get the apprenticeship.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Southeastern are currently advertising for a train movements apprentice. The salary is £18k...isn’t that a bit low for a train shunter? Also it appears you’ll need proof of your GCSE’s as it’s a requirement for most apprenticeships.

It’s interesting to note that the job position is still up yet if they was advertising for a trainee train shunter at the higher salary it would be taken down a lot sooner.

Regardless I applied for the position anyway as it’s a great opportunity to get into the railway. Unfortunately the salary is just over half what I currently earn!

I suppose you got to make sacrifices to get into the railway. Luckily i am in a good position to take such a large pay cut if I manage to get the apprenticeship.

Apprentice wage let's not forget - will probably go up considerably after training. I'd suggest the ad is mainly aimed at recent school leavers

Status
Not open for further replies.