• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern recruiting trainee drivers again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPOMan

From what I see in the jobs board, SE only take on qualified drivers for high speed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bionic

They are routinely advertising internally for High Speed drivers. Its never appealed to me and I don't live near any of the depots anyway, but talking to people it's not all that. Many drivers prefer driving normal trains out of the same depots.

As Comutor says above, why would it be unsafe to take high speed drivers off the street? It's all about the individuals mindset, suitability, training and competence management and nothing to do with whether they were "off the street". Incidentally it's not uncommon for current HS1 drivers to have safety related incidents on the proper railway part of their route.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yep but god knows where all the work is coming from. Around 20 new Trainees starting rules in the new year I have heard.

Just comes from the turnover rate - as I said in this (or another post) SE could not be in a worse position; no recent pay award and countless other TOC depots on the doorstep.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Just comes from the turnover rate

Around 8 or more leaving soon™ but Vic is going up to 100 (eventually) and they are phasing it in at each roster change. Granted they increased their Dartford work and are pushing towards more Metro but I just don't see where the work is coming from. They also screwed up big time with their link working so personally, I think Vic is in a bit of bother.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Around 8 or more leaving soon™ but Vic is going up to 100 (eventually) and they are phasing it in at each roster change. Granted they increased their Dartford work and are pushing towards more Metro but I just don't see where the work is coming from. They also screwed up big time with their link working so personally, I think Vic is in a bit of bother.

That is interesting - unless other depots are being reduced down? Dartford / Grove Park / Orpington?

That being said VIC seems to be the most interesting depot in terms of a mix of work, but then you do have the links.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Vic has been growing slowly. Orpington is being reduced dramatically. Not sure on everyone else as Orpingtons reduction will have an impact across the Metro depots. Tonbridge is growing and is apparently going 2 links; in part because they are getting a coach load of Drivers from Orpy.

December is going to be interesting :)

Railfan132

How comes we have to apply again for the same position I applied for in 2018, Back then it said my application has passed the initial sift and they'll be in touch, with this new recruitment website apparently I have apply it again, that sucks

RPOMan

How comes we have to apply again for the same position I applied for in 2018, Back then it said my application has passed the initial sift and they'll be in touch, with this new recruitment website apparently I have apply it again, that sucks
According to an email I received, active applications will be transferred to the new system. I’m unsure how long that will take, I’ve emailed recruitment to query it.

According to an email I received, active applications will be transferred to the new system. I’m unsure how long that will take, I’ve emailed recruitment to query it.

I emailed them last week about my application and they said the same .. I.e any live applications will be transferred over.

I hope it works better than SWR as they managed to archive my application when they moved to the First Group recruitment portal!

alanyoung165

It looks like you have to fill in the application again as it says 'incomplete' when you look at the existing job on the new dashboard :(

It looks like you have to fill in the application again as it says 'incomplete' when you look at the existing job on the new dashboard :(

Yes it does.. I have filled in a few additonal details that weren't carried over from the application, but its taken me to a questionaire section which appears to be a situational judgement test. I've stopped at that point as I am going to email them to double check that I need to complete it. The only worry is that it says the application expires on the 16th January

alanyoung165

Yes it does.. I have filled in a few additonal details that weren't carried over from the application, but its taken me to a questionaire section which appears to be a situational judgement test. I've stopped at that point as I am going to email them to double check that I need to complete it. The only worry is that it says the application expires on the 16th January
I carried on past the SJE section as that's pretty straight forward but stopped at the part where it asks for examples of... questions.
I've emailed them now to ask if the original applications are still live :!:

I carried on past the SJE section as that's pretty straight forward but stopped at the part where it asks for examples of... questions.

Well they said they would be but let us know what they say if you hear back

JammyJames08

I have heard we're recruiting again soon, metro only. There are some drivers to be moved around this month/leaving, so keep an eye on the website. Chatting with a chap from our training school, there are courses every 2-3 months to be arranged for 2020. I imagine Charing Cross, Vic & Dartford will be up there.

I have heard we're recruiting again soon, metro only. There are some drivers to be moved around this month/leaving, so keep an eye on the website. Chatting with a chap from our training school, there are courses every 2-3 months to be arranged for 2020. I imagine Charing Cross, Vic & Dartford will be up there.

That's great news if true but I'd be happy if they moved forward with my application from the end of 2018!

DA1

Good news indeed as I’m also in the talent pool from 2018 for Dartford however I have a query. I currently work for Southeastern and therefore I‘m currently in a 2 year probation period. If the post gets advertised externally (which is when I applied) will they treat me as an external applicant or will they see me as an internal and not recruit me because I’m currently in my probation?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Good news indeed as I’m also in the talent pool from 2018 for Dartford however I have a query. I currently work for Southeastern and therefore I‘m currently in a 2 year probation period. If the post gets advertised externally (which is when I applied) will they treat me as an external applicant or will they see me as an internal and not recruit me because I’m currently in my probation?

Are you sure its a 2 year probation? Either way I would check with HR or Recruitment

I logged onto the new portal this morning to find that the bits I hadn't completed were now showing as completed and I needed to submit my application (which was showing 'In Progress'). So I clicked the submit button and I have received an email to say I would be hearing from them. However the status on the portal now says 'Unsuccessful'! I think I am going to need to contact them

Kwikz

I logged onto the new portal this morning to find that the bits I hadn't completed were now showing as completed and I needed to submit my application (which was showing 'In Progress'). So I clicked the submit button and I have received an email to say I would be hearing from them. However the status on the portal now says 'Unsuccessful'! I think I am going to need to contact them

Gave them a call this morning. They said it's a known issue at the moment which will hopefully be rectified in the coming weeks. Guess we just have to keep an eye on it and hopefully get another update soon or I'll contact them again if any negative news comes

Gave them a call this morning. They said it's a known issue at the moment which will hopefully be rectified in the coming weeks. Guess we just have to keep an eye on it and hopefully get another update soon or I'll contact them again if any negative news comes

Ah thanks for that - did you have the same issue then? I did email them anyway so hopefully I'll get the same reply

Kwikz

Ah thanks for that - did you have the same issue then? I did email them anyway so hopefully I'll get the same reply

Yeah exactly the same. Got the email saying thanks. But the portal said unsuccessful almost immediately. The contact number for them is on the old southeastern portal if you want a faster answer than waiting for an email

Yeah exactly the same. Got the email saying thanks. But the portal said unsuccessful almost immediately. The contact number for them is on the old southeastern portal if you want a faster answer than waiting for an email

Well thats reassuring at least, if you know what I mean!

I couldn't get on the old portal this morning and it seemed to be completely offline

Update - just had an apologetic email from the recruitment manager and the status of my application is now 'In Progress'.

Kwikz

Update - just had an apologetic email from the recruitment manager and the status of my application is now 'In Progress'.

AHH perfect so I guess best course of action if it happens to anyone else is shoot then an email if you were previously in a talent pool from the previous portal. I'll send them one now. Thanks!

alanyoung165

I've just logged on and the bits I filled out on my original application were still not filled out but it has allowed me to submit the application??

notadriver

Established Member
They are routinely advertising internally for High Speed drivers. Its never appealed to me and I don't live near any of the depots anyway, but talking to people it's not all that. Many drivers prefer driving normal trains out of the same depots.

As Comutor says above, why would it be unsafe to take high speed drivers off the street? It's all about the individuals mindset, suitability, training and competence management and nothing to do with whether they were "off the street". Incidentally it's not uncommon for current HS1 drivers to have safety related incidents on the proper railway part of their route.

In my opinion it’s unsafe to take on new drivers because of the complexity of the rules needed and the experience needed driving conventional trains to get the level of competence required.

Ps : I’m not a driver but it i’ve player train simulator and it looks hard.

ComUtoR

Established Member
In my opinion it’s unsafe to take on new drivers because of the complexity of the rules needed and the experience needed driving conventional trains to get the level of competence required.

What complexity ? It is a lot less complex than traditional signalling and driving. As a High Speed Driver once told me. 'Its the easiest driving you'll ever do'

Ps : I’m not a driver but it i’ve player train simulator and it looks hard.

It really isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.