• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern recruiting trainee drivers again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorlash1886

Got my assessment tomorrow .18th August 3years in the making .i hope my nerves don’t get the better of me
Best of luck for tomorrow mate, as others have said they really try to make you feel as relaxed as possible in Tonbridge, pay attention but if you have any questions about the assessments on the day then just ask them you don't want to guess at that point. I'm hoping we will see a post saying you were successful soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Azzypaul

I didn’t pass . So I’ll wait six months and try again .at least I know what to expect now

Azzypaul

Thanks mate I appreciate that .im remaining positive.was a bit out of the blue to tell the truth .because of COVID was ment to have it in March then got cancelled. Then last Thursday got the call . I passed on most but failed on the staring at the very square . My eyes went . But I will prepare much better next time .have u passed or waiting if u don’t mind . Me asking

I only just passed the tones .the lift .as they went much faster than I thought.but I will be much prepared next time .

The thing that done me was .i applied in dec 2017 .i was studying for ages then heard nothing. And just got on with life then all of a sudden it came up .i no that’s no excuse I should of been much more prepared.

Plus getting old now at 50 lol

Last edited:

Gorlash1886

Yeah mate I've passed everything just waiting for my medical next week, been offered a start date of the 28th of September. I know how you feel I messed up last year at an assessment centre but as I'm sure you will I went away and focused on getting everything perfect. I'm sure next time you will get through mate.

Azzypaul

That’s great news .good luck mate .and do t worry I’m more focused now and know what to expect.

Cjaycc

I havent said much on here but can i say the info i have read has helped alot on my journey which is much the same as most of you i had my exam last month and was successful passed my dmi on the 19th just waiting for my medical for the 28th sept course so i guess ill see you there @gorlash ;) well done to all successful and people going for it good luck to you all

Gorlash1886

Congratulations mate I found all the information on this forum invaluable as well. The 28th should come around ridiculously fast now. See you then.

Cjaycc

Does anyone who has already started training know if they had to stay in a hotel for the first few days or did you have to travel back and forth

DA1

Does anyone who has already started training know if they had to stay in a hotel for the first few days or did you have to travel back and forth

SE don’t pay for hotels so it’s back and forth travel AFAIK.

DriverGB

Don't get yourself down about it mate, the 6 months will fly past then try again. How far did you get into them if you don't mind me asking.

There are a few people on here that have had a dmi now.
I have a DMI coming up and I just wanted any advice or help on it please or anyone on here?

Gorlash1886

Super important to make sure you have fully digested the prep they sent, research the company as much as possible, think about how you can answer questions in a star format. Relax and be positive. What depot are you going for?

Blackkat

I have a DMI coming up and I just wanted any advice or help on it please or anyone on here?

get the TPWS info deep in your head!
Wikipedia the company and get that ingested deep in your head too!

think of the describe a time when.... answers and make sure you use the STAR to give your answer.

make sure you understand why you want to be a driver!
try to not be cliché with this
I.e I always wanted to be one since I was a kid..sorta answers...
be honest and just relax (easier said than done)
They can see through any lies and will catch you out if you do.

make sure you’re ontime too lol

Evolution

get the TPWS info deep in your head!
Don’t agree with this- Why would you be asked about TPWS at a DMI when you have zero understanding of it since you’ve not done any rules based training yet?
I certainly wasn’t asked about it and I don’t know anyone that ever has been asked it at this stage either.

Last edited:

Gorlash1886

Don’t agree with this- Why would you be asked about TPWS at a DMI when you have zero understand of it since you’ve not done any rules based training yet?
I certainly wasn’t asked about it and I don’t know anyone that ever has been asked it at this stage either.
Whilst I can appreciate what you are saying I was personally quizzed on it, it is one sheet to learn and I'm sure they are asking you questions about it too make sure you actually bothered to read all the practise material. By all means don't read it ignore it if you choose but then don't complain if you fail a dmi.

baz962

Established Member
Whilst I can appreciate what you are saying I was personally quizzed on it, it is one sheet to learn and I'm sure they are asking you questions about it too make sure you actually bothered to read all the practise material. By all means don't read it ignore it if you choose but then don't complain if you fail a dmi.
Well I must admit I had two dmi's and wasn't asked about tpws in either. I guess if it's in any practice material you get sent, that could be a clue that they may ask you.

Gorlash1886

Well I must admit I had two dmi's and wasn't asked about tpws in either. I guess if it's in any practice material you get sent, that could be a clue that they may ask you.
That is exactly the case they have sent that out, they are not expecting you to know all rules, but at least you should be able to understand the tpws from what they have sent on a basic level.

Evolution

Makes no sense to be asking prospective trainees about TPWS, it’s a well known fact it’s better not to read the rulebook at all prior to starting as a trainee. It can be hard to unlearn your understanding of something if you interpret it incorrectly. And reading “one sheet” will be just scratching the surface of the said system.

Sounds a pointless task but that doesn’t surprise me from what I heard about this TOC. Thankfully, I’m a driver at another TOC.

Stigy

Established Member
Makes no sense to be asking prospective trainees about TPWS, it’s a well known fact it’s better not to read the rulebook at all prior to starting as a trainee. It can be hard to unlearn your understanding of something if you interpret it incorrectly. And reading “one sheet” will be just scratching the surface of the said system.

Sounds a pointless task but that doesn’t surprise me from what I heard about this TOC. Thankfully, I’m a driver at another TOC.
Someone mentioned this the other day and I thought it was a mistake, but once they explained that SET told them to read up on TPWS for their interview it made more sense.

It would be unfair for them to not brief applicants and then ask questions on it, as it’s something an applicant shouldn’t really be expected to know about unless they’ve done some rules training before.

They are simply asking applicants to explain what they understand TPWS to be and what it’s intended for as far as I can tell, which seems reasonable (to be honest, it’s not the most technical of subjects anyway...). They’re not going to expect or want people to explain the inner workings of the systems and train-borne equipment etc. Just the basic purpose of it.

Don’t agree with this- Why would you be asked about TPWS at a DMI when you have zero understanding of it since you’ve not done any rules based training yet?
I’ve never been asked about it at a DMI either, but if I was asked to read up on the basics of it as I will be asked about it, I’d certainly advise doing so.

I was once asked about trailing points at an interview for a Depot Driver role, which I had no idea about as it was a technical question as far as I was concerned, and I wasn’t from an operations background. I wasn’t told I needed to know anything technical, so in that case and as an example, I’d deem that unfair. This scenario isn’t the same, as posted above.

Last edited:

Kwikz

Little bit of confusion here for anyone going with a dmi with SE. They send you a few prep materials to do with the DMI and they also send you a single sheet of the basics of the tpws which they WILL quiz you on. So make sure you read all the materials given to you. You're not expected to know the ins and outs of tpws just the information on the sheet that they give. I'm assuming it's to see how well you can retain information which you have been briefed on...

But dmis with other TOCs. Will more than likely not test you on this unless you've been briefed before with time to prepare.

Stigy

Established Member
Little bit of confusion here for anyone going with a dmi with SE. They send you a few prep materials to do with the DMI and they also send you a single sheet of the basics of the tpws which they WILL quiz you on. So make sure you read all the materials given to you. You're not expected to know the ins and outs of tpws just the information on the sheet that they give. I'm assuming it's to see how well you can retain information which you have been briefed on...

But dmis with other TOCs. Will more than likely not test you on this unless you've been briefed before with time to prepare.
As I said, they can do what they want I guess and it’s not unreasonable in my opinion. It vaguely makes sense too, however the TRP 1 and 2 parts of the Psychometric Assessments are intended to assess how well you retain information, so I can’t help but feel it’s overlapping somewhat, and they could use that time in asking other questions to see how well you’d fit in to the company’s ethos?

Kwikz

As I said, they can do what they want I guess and it’s not unreasonable in my opinion. It vaguely makes sense too, however the TRP 1 and 2 parts of the Psychometric Assessments are intended to assess how well you retain information, so I can’t help but feel it’s overlapping somewhat, and they could use that time in asking other questions to see how well you’d fit in to the company’s ethos?

It's literally one of the smaller segments of the interview. But yes I guess they can ask anything they want and do ask why SE, what do you know about us, why you'd be a good fit etc

Status
Not open for further replies.