• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Today I had 313219 2C26 to Bishopstone from Lewes, 313220 from Bishopstone to Seaford 2C30, 313215 from Seaford to Brighton 2C39 and 313207 on 1S28 from Brighton to Portsmouth Southsea but took it to Chichester. They are good trains to ride on and are good fun. Probably the first and last time I'll go on them because I'm not from the Southern region. Good day out though. Glad I was able to tick them off today.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Thank you Part Time Spotter (PTS) for the 313 gen today. Helped me find some of the PEPs I travelled on today.

louis97

Established Member
I've been meaning to mention: Brighton have a home match on Saturday 20th May, so won't this affect the use of 313s on the Seaford line? It is normally long-formed 377s on matchday Saturdays.

Looking at the Saturday diagrams, the last 313 service would be the 2353 Seaford - Brighton. If it is 377s on the 20th, presumably one of the Littlehampton/Portsmouth/Bognor circuits will provide the last service unless they plan to do anything special.
The match has been moved to the Sunday instead now, so the normal 313 Saturday diagrams stand more or less. There is some very minor amendments at the end of the day to get units in suitable locations for finish.

prod_pep

Established Member
The match has been moved to the Sunday instead now, so the normal 313 Saturday diagrams stand more or less. There is some very minor amendments at the end of the day to get units in suitable locations for finish.
That's great. Many thanks for the update.

Now to avoid paying through the nose for a hotel. :D

WesternLancer

Established Member
My deepest apologies if this has already been asked numerous times, but do 313s do any Seaford services on a Saturday?
I'm sure someone will happily explain better - but football matches at Falmer have an impact, based on my observations following this thread. I have certainly been on 313s on a Saturday to and from Seaford in the not too distant past.

prod_pep

Established Member
My deepest apologies if this has already been asked numerous times, but do 313s do any Seaford services on a Saturday?
Yes, all Seaford services are normally 313s on Saturdays unless Brighton & Hove Albion are playing at home, in which case the line will have strengthened 377s instead.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Mothers Day weekend, I set myself a little challenge: 8 weeks to photograph PEPs but -

1) only within 1 mile of where I live.

2) only photogenic locations. No photos taken from/in, my local railway station.

3) only taken in the sunshine - those of you who live on the Sussex-Hant coast, you'll know how hard that's been!

4) only taken when not at work. Which has meant weekend early evenings and weekend mornings; on the rare days of sun, a lot of pre-thinking where the sun position is at each intended location.

It's not a "gotta get 'em all" but simply to remember them more fondly than when my mid-90s commuting endured WAGN examples, low-backed seats, hot interior and a smell of stale lager (not me!).

Hoping the sun will be out this Saturday!

Here is the complete set of timetables from southernrailway.com cropped to only those services mentioned on the webpage https://partimespotter.wordpress.com/diagrams/sn-313-diagram/, for anyone who wants diagram gen in a printable .png format. All applicable Ⓐ (sorry, I haven't found any data for weekends). The accuracy of this gen is contingent on the accuracy of the aformentioned webpage, in my experience the columns here marked 1 and 4 only occasionally see a 313 but the rest are pretty solid.
1682502598551.png

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Something to PEP you up for Saturday...

Attachments

• 313201_Bedhampton_1.JPG
    313201_Bedhampton_1.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 87
  • 313203_Bedhampton.JPG
    313203_Bedhampton.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
  • 313205_Havant.JPG
    313205_Havant.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 65
  • 313207_Bedhampton.JPG
    313207_Bedhampton.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 63
  • 313213_Bedhampton_2.JPG
    313213_Bedhampton_2.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 313213_Bedhampton_1.JPG
    313213_Bedhampton_1.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 313216_Bedhampton.JPG
    313216_Bedhampton.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 84

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Thanks - I was going to ask where you would be posting the pics from your efforts (and interesting parameters to the task!) - nicely done.
Thanks for that. I figured setting a tight scope would inspire me to look more at ny local environs. I've been surprised at how many different compositions could be obtained from such a short distance.

465 SE

Apologies if this has already been asked numerous times but do 313s still run any services on Sundays?

387star

On Moderation
always my beef too - not as if they charge lower fares because the interior has been allowed to get so grotty - obv same applies to other old trains.
Exactly
We should encourage passengers onto Rail. Most passengers won't be aware these trains are about to retire. Their internal condition is a disgrace whilst most 377s seem pretty imacculate

Apologies if this has already been asked numerous times but do 313s still run any services on Sundays?
I think they usually operate the Littlehampton to Bognor Regis service (the Littlehampton to Portsmouth service and Barnham shuttles don't run on sundays), as well as Seaford services. In the former case that is simply due to the lower demand of the service, and it only requires a single unit anyways, and there is usually a spare [class 313 (or 377/3)] at Bognor Regis platform 4 stored at the weekend, as well as probably more around. The availability of spares for a relatively quiet service mean its not worth using [4 car] 377s on that service.

prod_pep

Established Member
Yes, to confirm the above, there usually four 313s out on Sundays: three on the Seaford line and one doing the Littlehampton - Bognor Regis service, with the usual provisos about engineering works or football affecting matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.