• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
Can't actually see any Rog locos at Wembley to work this unless someone knows better

37510 GROG DERBY RTC DERBY RTC V N 21H A
37601 GROG DERBY RTC 575V941A09 V * LONGMSTON N 32H A
37608 GROG NCH CRNPT TMILSOWCS N TBRD 55H A
37611 GROG DERBY RTC 575V941A09 V * LONGMSTON N 42H A
37800 GROG DERBY RTC DERBY RTC F N 31H A
37884 GROG WOSTER YD WOSTER YD F N 58H B

37418 LRLO DERBY RTC DERBY RTC C N 58H A
37901 EPUK DERBY RTC DERBY RTC F

Foxxle

Is this the move? Edit: seen on Facebook that apparently there isn't an available loco for it. :s I'm not quite sure what's happening to be honest but there's the RealTimeTrains link.

fgwrich

Established Member
Can't actually see any Rog locos at Wembley to work this unless someone knows better
Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be loco hauled or ROG operated. 313s can do the route fully on the 3rd rail, and GB has operated the also soon to be sold Network Rail 313 along this route on it's way from Eastleigh to Ferme Park on several occasions.

trainmania100

Established Member
Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be loco hauled or ROG operated. 313s can do the route fully on the 3rd rail, and GB has operated the also soon to be sold Network Rail 313 along this route on it's way from Eastleigh to Ferme Park on several occasions.
You make good points but likely invalidated by the fact that a light engine comes down prior to the move, plus pathed as a Rog diesel timed load. Maybe future moves will do as you advise

Very unlikely to move on their own power as I understand parts have already been stripped or units are not good operational condition. 217 has had problems for a while I think.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The path in the earlier link is via Kensington, North Pole, Willesden, Acton Wells etc, so isn’t going to be possible for a 313 in its DC only condition.

Does ask the question why they’d go via London rather than along the coast though…

WizCastro197

Established Member
Why does the move stop at Balham?

Why is it also recorded as going on the Slow Line, yet it is passing/stopping and Balham P.4 which is a Fast Line platform?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Why does the move stop at Balham?

Why is it also recorded as going on the Slow Line, yet it is passing/stopping and Balham P.4 which is a Fast Line platform?
It's timed to run Fast Line from Windmill bridge jn and then run Slow line from Balham, so I presume the stop is waiting for the path across Balham Jn.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
The path in the earlier link is via Kensington, North Pole, Willesden, Acton Wells etc, so isn’t going to be possible for a 313 in its DC only condition.

Does ask the question why they’d go via London rather than along the coast though…
"If" it runs I guess the loco will be attached to the front facing Preston Park (i.e. right way to run up towards London as there is no loop nearer to turn it around)

Although possible I guess, rather inconvenient for it to detach and run around at Preston Park and reattach to the other end. Plus I don't know if there is a crossover to take it towards Hove

But if there's no loco at Wembley then it's gotta be a non-runner surely?

zwk500

Veteran Member
"If" it runs I guess the loco will be attached to the front facing Preston Park (i.e. right way to run up towards London as there is no loop nearer to turn it around)
Yes, the path appears to have been planned to avoid the need for a reversal.
Although possible I guess, rather inconvenient for it to detach and run around at Preston Park and reattach to the other end. Plus I don't know if there is a crossover to take it towards Hove
Surely you'd bring the 313 into Preston Park under it's own power and then drop the loco on the end if you were doing that? Yes you can reverse in either of 2/3 to get towards Hove
But if there's no loco at Wembley then it's gotta be a non-runner surely?
You'd think. Unless there's a VSTP to get a loco down.

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Surely you'd bring the 313 into Preston Park under it's own power and then drop the loco on the end if you were doing that? Yes you can reverse in either of 2/3 to get towards Hove
I'm fairly sure that the units can't move on their own anymore

465 SE

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but is there any chance of a 313 farewell tour? I know there was one when they were with Great Northern but have not heard anything about there being one for Southern

trainmania100

Established Member
Is there something preventing the move from traversing along the West Coastway, instead of a perhaps more circuitous route via London?

Source?
I'm guessing more points failures at wivelsfield are due , had about 20 so far this week. Maybe thought it best to hold off a while
(Slight exaggeration)

Dart34518

The loco would need to run round on the Brighton mainline which is not ideal and operationally more of a headache.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The loco would need to run round on the Brighton mainline which is not ideal and operationally more of a headache.
Not necessarily if the leading 313 is in working order. It could be driven off the depot with the loco attached to the rear. (Or driven off depot separately and the loco dropped onto the rear, which is more awkward but less awkward than a runround.)

Dart34518

Not necessarily if the leading 313 is in working order. It could be driven off the depot with the loco attached to the rear. (Or driven off depot separately and the loco dropped onto the rear, which is more awkward but less awkward than a runround.)
None of the 3 are operational now mate

Future

This path now exists on the 10th, assume it’s for 5Q86. However, SE Gen would suggest that WEFOC loco sidings are currently empty so it may not run.

trainmania100

Established Member
Loco gen would be out there by now so must look forward to a scrapping for another day.

Two nice moves this week caped. What a shame. 4tc move via Brighton and now this. Shame.

fgwrich

Established Member

Apologies, I had it in my mind they were going along the coast. There's definitely been some fanciful stock moves over the last year or two, that's for sure.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Loco gen would be out there by now so must look forward to a scrapping for another day.

Two nice moves this week caped. What a shame. 4tc move via Brighton and now this. Shame.
No loco at Wembley at the moment so I would imagine this will be cancelled.

Future

The 0O87 path from Wembley - Lovers Walk was activated at 0539 this morning, but it’s booked departure was 0639 so it’s still unlikely it’ll run. WEFOC loco sidings still empty as of 0530

Status
Not open for further replies.