• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

prod_pep

Established Member
From today inclusive, every day to start of new timetable (when 313s should be gone) is either strike day (no trains) or an overtime ban day (reduced service)or a Sunday (no 313s anyway)
313s do run on Sundays as a matter of course. They have said a few times that Saturday 20th May will be the last day of Class 313 operation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D7666

Those announcments were made before the strikes and overtime was known.

Sat 20/05 is an overtime ban day.

Bishopstone

Established Member
There’s a double 377 on my Seaford-Brighton service this morning, although there’s no football today. Obviously extra capacity has been added to cover for the reduced service across East Coastway today.

As has been noted above, with reduced timetables throughout next week due to the overtime ban, it will be interesting to see when the 313s next surface….

Corn

I was planning on heading down to Brighton and Seaford today to see them before they go. Are 313s running the Seaford trains today?

It's a bit of a trek from Derby so I'd rather find out sooner rather than later if it turns out they aren't running today after all!

that1pepfan

On Moderation
I was planning on heading down to Brighton and Seaford today to see them before they go. Are 313s running the Seaford trains today?

It's a bit of a trek from Derby so I'd rather find out sooner rather than later if it turns out they aren't running today after all!
313207 313216 and another one are operating the seaford line today :D

GW43125

Established Member
Do we know if they're still likely to be out on Saturday with the heavily reduced service please?

According to RTT there are no trains on coastway west of Barnham on Saturday. Seems like just a shuttle twixt Barnham and Brighton so that screws up the last 313 day good and proper .

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
According to RTT there are no trains on coastway west of Barnham on Saturday. Seems like just a shuttle twixt Barnham and Brighton so that screws up the last 313 day good and proper .
So, is this the overtime ban again?

What does this actually mean; voluntary withdrawal of overtime by staff or the company refusing to pay overtime? So basically, minimal service, just like strike days...?

Last edited:

Duffer

If it’s of benefit to anyone, I was told last night that 313 212 won’t be seen in passenger service again. It’s final working was 2C71 2229 Seaford - Brighton followed by 5C71 2315 Brighton - Lovers Walk on 14/5/23.

prod_pep

Established Member
313203 is also reported as withdrawn. :(

Southern still saying on Twitter today that 313s will be out on Saturday 20th, although we all know social media teams are not always the fonts of all knowledge.

Also, a normally reliable source claims on another forum that 313201 will be preserved and is to leave Eastleigh soon. Excellent news if true.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
206 and 212 to Eastleigh on Wednesday if all goes to plan
Thanks - I'll keep an eye on RealTime and RailRecord.

There goes my best-laid plan for the day...

TheHSRailFan

At this point pretty much it's uncertain if the last day a 313 will run is today, tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday. As was said above, the social media team won't know everything and at this point, I'm close to giving up on the last on saturday because it's just too risky from what I've been told.

prod_pep

Established Member
The uncertainty is whether they will be out on Saturday or not; a few sources mention they are expected to be running until Friday at least.

Having seen the planned service for the 20th, it looks doubtful any 313s will be out but perhaps they will use them on the Seaford line only. I've already made plans so it will be most frustrating if they leave it until just a couple of days before to confirm Friday is in fact the last day.

The latest post from the Twitter team just a couple of hours ago doesn't help: "The 313s will be running all day on Saturday 20 May on the Brighton to Seaford/Lewes routes and some to Portsmouth. They will also be operating on the Littlehampton to Bognor Regis/Portsmouth & Southsea route." There is no service to Portsmouth or Bognor planned for Saturday and they surely won't be used on the Brighton to Barnham service. :rolleyes:

Today (Monday) operated on the western diagrams 3209, ’15, ’19 and ’20. Chuffed to bits I am with this because it includes half my remaining needs list, and 3219 is being satisfyingly growly.

I am expecting the 313s' era to end shortly after 18:30 this Saturday, and have pre-booked the 19:30 from Pool Valley to London Victoria. Flexible, though, just in-case they don't run 313s on Saturday.

3973EXL

Established Member
Eastleigh Works 15/05

DSC02246.JPG
214/202 behind

DSC02245.JPG
217 centre of three
201 on the left

This (Monday) evening, Seaford saw ’07, ’13 and another unidentified 313. ’07 gets my needs list down to just 1½ trains: 3211, and ’09 which I only rode from Barnham to Ford.

I also forgot to mention in my post earlier the presence of 3205 operating from Brighton to Littlehampton. One of the other trains operating this hourly shuttle was unfortunately a 3-car 337, ’7305, which was always rammed & which turned up for me twice.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
A new twist on rhe West Coastway: this morning's peak turns, the Littlehampton Pompey Littlehampton turns are in the hands of 377s 3-car and 4-car sets. But the 07:17 Pompey to Brighton was entrusted to PEP 209.

Later Littlehampton services today, PEP. 215 on 18:13 off Bedhampton.

Last edited:
Absolutely ridiculously poor train planning to have a gutted service worked by 3 cars with half the fleet sat doing nothing in Selhurst.

Status
Not open for further replies.