• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern (GTR) - Trainee Train Driver (Future vacancies) - Various depots (02/06/23)

TTDARL

Thread as the title suggests. Get in quick before the advert is taken down early due to masses of applications as is GTR’s usual trend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrysalis

I wish I could apply but it'd look very bad on my cv if I quit my current job at this stage in time :frown: If only they'd have waited half a year. Or how long does the process typically take from application to when you start?

baz962

Established Member
I wish I could apply but it'd look very bad on my cv if I quit my current job at this stage in time :frown: If only they'd have waited half a year. Or how long does the process typically take from application to when you start?
Probably around six months minimum. It states future vacancies so possibly longer.

nithen

and particularly would like to hear from women and those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities
Does this mean that being male and having white skin puts you at a disadvantage / back of the queue if you apply?

john71

Can take couple years easily

jon0844

Veteran Member
Does this mean that being male and having white skin puts you at a disadvantage / back of the queue if you apply?

No, it means they want them to apply. It seems a lot of people from certain backgrounds are put off applying for certain types of job. At the end of the day, everyone has to pass the same tests.

Ludus

Literally just came across this after doing my daily GTR site check. This is my 4th time applying now after trying to get past the application stage for 5 years. :oops:

Mattydo

It's not unheard of it to be several years between your first application and a start date. Anything under 12 months would probably be considered very quick. So I'd say go for it.

john71

Literally just came across this after doing my daily GTR site check. This is my 4th time applying now after trying to get past the application stage for 5 years. :oops:
Good luck. You’ll get there in the end

DonkeyKonk

Is it worth applying for this (as future driver) even if the depots listed are not good for you ?
I really want either Brighton, or Eastbourne (or the nearest depot to that)... Is it worth applying and getting "a foot in the door" as a future driver or just wait to see if Brighton etc pops up soon ?

Sorry if it seems a bit of a daft question, (the obvious answer is "No, do not apply if the depots are no good for you" but I know that sometimes with big companies it can work in such ways).

387star

On Moderation
Is it worth applying for this (as future driver) even if the depots listed are not good for you ?
I really want either Brighton, or Eastbourne (or the nearest depot to that)... Is it worth applying and getting "a foot in the door" as a future driver or just wait to see if Brighton etc pops up soon ?

Sorry if it seems a bit of a daft question, (the obvious answer is "No, do not apply if the depots are no good for you" but I know that sometimes with big companies it can work in such ways).
Yes no harm done. Brighton may be forthcoming. Eastbourne is traditionally the hardest Southern depot to get into.

I know someone who lived near Barnham but got taken on at Brighton although they've since moved.

Mattyblob

Depots that regularly take trainees: Victoria, London Bridge, Selhurst, Norwood, Barnham
Somewhere in the middle: Brighton, GX, Caterham
Practically no chance: Eastbourne, Horsham, Redhill, Three Bridges, Epsom

(imho)

OneOfThe48

Depots that regularly take trainees: Victoria, London Bridge, Selhurst, Norwood, Barnham

(imho)
Why is that?

Are Eastbourne and Horsham etc particularly popular/sought after or do they just have low turnover rates?

Mattydo

You might have more luck at Brighton under the Thameslink brand of GTR. Nobody on the transfer list at the moment and regularly has trainees. That said, as always, it's a good idea to get your key wherever it's available.

SGD5891

OK, I'm applying! So excited! (I know I'll probably be turned down, seems like most people have to try a a couple of times before they even get through the initial sift)
definately would not be put off applying. railway takes ages for anything. I have a freind of mine who was applying for 8 years before finally getting through to the tests. I was very lucky and got through on my first attempt, started 10 months after application, and now been driving 3 years. there is no logic to the process, my advice would just be apply for everything and anything that comes up, and then make decisions if/when you need to regarding leaving jobs etc

BlackAdam

definately would not be put off applying. railway takes ages for anything. I have a freind of mine who was applying for 8 years before finally getting through to the tests. I was very lucky and got through on my first attempt, started 10 months after application, and now been driving 3 years. there is no logic to the process, my advice would just be apply for everything and anything that comes up, and then make decisions if/when you need to regarding leaving jobs etc
Great advice! Patience is key... I applied for this role last year. I completely forgot i applied for this last year march(out of sight, out of mind). They notified me yesterday before the job ad went live, confirming my application will be processed after the job ad is closed..they aim to get successful applicants into assessment centres asap after sifting process from the sound of things. So literally waste no time apply! Apply!!

Chrysalis

Great advice! Patience is key... I applied for this role last year. I completely forgot i applied for this last year march(out of sight, out of mind). They notified me yesterday before the job ad went live, confirming my application will be processed after the job ad is closed..they aim to get successful applicants into assessment centres asap after sifting process from the sound of things. So literally waste no time apply! Apply!!

I did apply as soon as I read that it can take quite some time before you start. Called my partner to help me dig out my NINO (I'm foreign, I don't yet remember it by heart) as I was almost worried the application would close the same day. The situational judgment test right after took me a bit off guard. Had read about the test before, but for some reason I didn't realise it would happen in the application itself, and I certainly didn't realise you'd get so little time with it. I think I probably did OK though, as in, at least I avoided the dumbest answers! I'm massively hyped for this, so most definitely setting myself up for disappointment. :lol:

Does anyone know how many people they're looking to hire, or is it unknown even to them as it's for future positions?

Thanks for the replies to my query, some very useful information and thoughts there

Honestly, if you live close enough to the depots I'd apply. I'd state I'm interested in all the depots if I lived close enough, in case that increases your chances, but I only live close enough to Barnham.

Established Member
Why is that?

Are Eastbourne and Horsham etc particularly popular/sought after or do they just have low turnover rates?

They will tend to attract qualified drivers transferring out from the metro depots.

Sly Sloth

Why is that?

A lot of older metro drivers with 5ish years or less left are now looking at property prices around Eastbourne and now Barnham and seeing just how far their pound will stretch! Had a chap recently move from Selhurst to the coast bought mortgage free and had a lot left over…..word is getting around now how a 2 bed flat in metroland can buy a 4 bed detached on the coast

387star

On Moderation
A lot of older metro drivers with 5ish years or less left are now looking at property prices around Eastbourne and now Barnham and seeing just how far their pound will stretch! Had a chap recently move from Selhurst to the coast bought mortgage free and had a lot left over…..word is getting around now how a 2 bed flat in metroland can buy a 4 bed detached on the coast
This has always been the case...
I know a driver who transferred from Norwood to Barnham and bought a house near Chichester. They were still commuting from Norwood for a few weeks before their actual depot move!

NSE

Established Member

(imho)
The only depots to take trainees are London Bridge, Victoria, Norwood, Selhurst, Barnham and Brighton. You’ve got no chance of any others and even less for GatEx.

richiejenks

Afternoon all. What’s people opinion on applying for more than 1 position? I’m currently waiting for my DMI but haven’t heard anything in a while. I would like to apply for this position but don’t want it to jeopardise my current application. Bit of a tricky one. Look forward to hearing from you.