• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern (GTR) - Trainee Train Driver (Future vacancies) - Various depots (02/06/23)

Luckyflames

I've been invited to the DMI. However, I'd really struggle to make it, as I was unfortunately only offered one date. What would happen I'd tick the box that says I can't make these dates? Would I get an offer for a different date?
Personally unless it’s a funeral / own wedding. I wouldn’t miss any date. You’ll probably never hear from them again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrysalis

Personally unless it’s a funeral / own wedding. I wouldn’t miss any date. You’ll probably never hear from them again.
That's what I suspected.

I've booked it now. I was told the next step would be a DMI, yet, the confirmation text I got said that I've booked in an MMI. Is there any way to confirm this without pestering the TOC?

Sly Sloth

I've been invited to the DMI. However, I'd really struggle to make it, as I was unfortunately only offered one date. What would happen I'd tick the box that says I can't make these dates? Would I get an offer for a different date?
The unfortunate reality is there’s lots more waiting for DMI’S so you’d just go back into the pool and have to wait. From what I’ve heard Barnham and Brighton have lots of trainees at various stages so opportunities may not be so abundant in the future

That's what I suspected.

I've booked it now. I was told the next step would be a DMI, yet, the confirmation text I got said that I've booked in an MMI. Is there any way to confirm this without pestering the TOC?
You’ll do the DMI before the MMI

Chrysalis

The unfortunate reality is there’s lots more waiting for DMI’S so you’d just go back into the pool and have to wait. From what I’ve heard Barnham and Brighton have lots of trainees at various stages so opportunities may not be so abundant in the future

You’ll do the DMI before the MMI
So it's just a mistake saying it's the MMI? It's taking place in in Croydon rather than Barnham, and none of the people interviewing me seems to be a driver manager. Just want to make sure I prepare for the right thing!

ElisaHarkness

So it's just a mistake saying it's the MMI? It's taking place in in Croydon rather than Barnham, and none of the people interviewing me seems to be a driver manager. Just want to make sure I prepare for the right thing!
My DMI was online during COVID times & was actually before my MMI which was in Croydon with the Talent Acquisition Lady - Not sure if Southern do it differently but this was Thameslink :D

REO Nate

I had a friend do the MMI before the DMI at the back end of last year. She's still waiting for the DMI.

Definitely worth clarifying which it is.

Chrysalis

My DMI was online during COVID times & was actually before my MMI which was in Croydon with the Talent Acquisition Lady - Not sure if Southern do it differently but this was Thameslink :D
I'm starting to think my interview must be the MMI, as it's in Croydon, and I'm interviewed by talent acquisition people. I also realised earlier that I wasn't sent the Hogan personality test to do before, and apparently this is part of the DMI process when done by Southern?

I had a friend do the MMI before the DMI at the back end of last year. She's still waiting for the DMI.

Definitely worth clarifying which it is.
Was this for Southern as well? The interview is on Tuesday so I don't really have time to clarify with the TOC. I better prepare for both interviews!

Last edited:

Tb12

Could anyone explain how talent pools work??
You're are held in a pool of people for a length of time (not disclosed). If and when positions become available a TOC will use that talent pool to fill those roles. However that is just in theory how they are supposed to work.

Many people on here have been placed in talent pools for 1 or 2 years and then a new advert will appear for a job they are already in a talent pool for.

You definitely can get hired from being in the talent pool but TOC's often just start again from scratch when recruiting.

My overall view is that if you're in a talent pool do not put all your eggs in that basket. Look elsewhere while you're in that talent pool. Hope this helps

Chrysalis

Can confirm I had the MMI today rather than the DMI so to anyone else waiting to be invited for an interview, don't assume it's a DMI!

asdfwho

Can confirm I had the MMI today rather than the DMI so to anyone else waiting to be invited for an interview, don't assume it's a DMI!

Could be a good thing. If you pass, at least you’ll have done the suite of OPC tests to take elsewhere if needed. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

It looks like I’m about a week behind you with the assessments so hopefully I’ll hear about my MMI/DMI soon.

Lonerangert

Anyone get the update email today regarding courses?

“Currently no planned courses at the moment, next meeting scheduled for march and will get another update then.”

CCnottoolate

Anyone get the update email today regarding courses?

“Currently no planned courses at the moment, next meeting scheduled for march and will get another update then.”
Yes I got the same email. Fingers crossed for good news in March. Have you been waiting long?

Sly Sloth

There’s a November course pencilled in. Possible July course subject to trainers leave. School will be at capacity when the March course starts

Luckyflames

Triffid seeds
There’s a November course pencilled in. Possible July course subject to trainers leave. School will be at capacity when the March course starts
Thanks for the update Sloth. Must admit a November course would be perfect timing for me. As I can retire in July aged 50 from my current profession.

Lonerangert

Yes I got the same email. Fingers crossed for good news in March. Have you been waiting long?
I am just weeks into entering the pool myself so I’m anticipating the wait.
Just others say they receive little to no updates, good to hear something positive.

suuuly

Yes you will

mochimin

How did your MMI go I’m currently preparing for mine
Did you get a chance to see your answers from the assessment day? For the life of me I can’t remember 2 of the questions

Chrysalis

How did your MMI go I’m currently preparing for mine
Did you get a chance to see your answers from the assessment day? For the life of me I can’t remember 2 of the questions
I passed it, waiting for my DMI now.

I was given the chance to look at my answers and I was also allowed to change them if I wanted to. Good luck with your MMI!

mochimin

I passed it, waiting for my DMI now.

I was given the chance to look at my answers and I was also allowed to change them if I wanted to. Good luck with your MMI!
Amazing well done and thank you put my mind at rest a little
I’m going for Cambridge with GTR and I’ve already done the DMI, so this MMI is the last step for me

suuuly

Just got an email from GTR saying I passed all the recruitment process and need to choose 2 depot which I prefer. Honestly, the best feeling ever.

asdfwho

I’ve just received an invite for an interview at Go-Ahead House! Looks like it’s the DMI as it’s with two Driver Managers. Hello nerves. :s