• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trainee Train driver- Southern Depots (Coastal & Metro)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Knowledgeboy

Does anyone know will the fact I’m in a talent pool for one of the other GTR franchises have any bearing on an application for southern.

Eastbourne don't take on trainees as far as I know

Neither does Redhill, Caterham or Epsom as far as I know not least because they are generally quite popular for transferees. They also have a depot at Three Bridges which I am pretty sure does not either. I also do not think you will find many at Southern Horsham either, not sure about Thameslink Horsham though being relatively new.

Coastal side usually trainees will start at Brighton or Barnham which are the main depots. Metro is different as they tend to have a higher turnover however Selhurst and Norwood seem to be pretty popular starting points.

387star

On Moderation
TL Horsham had only three trainees who transferred from Three Bridges when it opened in may 18 all now passed out. 43 based there
Southern Horsham rarely takes on trainees as you say most transfer from metro depots

Think Caterham is bigger these days and Redhill is taking a trainee as referenced elsewhere

TL Horsham had only three trainees who transferred from Three Bridges when it opened in may 18 all now passed out. 43 based there
Southern Horsham rarely takes on trainees as you say most transfer from metro depots

Think Caterham is bigger these days and Redhill is taking a trainee as referenced elsewhere

Redhill is very short on drivers these days, as we have seen with the recent sometimes all evening cancellations of Reigate and Tonbridges. Also their mainline and Turbo work and variety of work has dropped, and in turn so has their transfer rate (presumably does not help) as a result so that does not surprise me.

wain77

I'm looking at this as well. Which are the GTR 'Metro' depots?

wain77

Victoria, London Bridge, Selhurst, Norwood, Epsom, Caterham and London Bridge.

Thanks! Wasn't sure if they were the same as the Southern ones. Does it not include anything north of the river? Or am I asking a stupid question because it's for their 'Southern' region?

Thanks! Wasn't sure if they were the same as the Southern ones. Does it not include anything north of the river? Or am I asking a stupid question because it's for their 'Southern' region?

North of the river would be Great Northern or Thameslink. Operationally Southern and Gatwick Express are run separately so this is just for their Southern brand.

wain77

North of the river would be Great Northern or Thameslink. Operationally Southern and Gatwick Express are run separately so this is just for their Southern brand.

Ah! Makes a lot more sense now. GTR seem to have a fair few franchises...

dth

Does anyone know will the fact I’m in a talent pool for one of the other GTR franchises have any bearing on an application for southern.

I don't known the answer but I am in the same boat as you. I've applied anyway. I was thinking in regards to other talent pools you just don't know how long it's going to be and even how many people are in front of you. If GTR only want us in one pool then they'll tell us. It's worth a shot I think.

xtradj

I thought southern were on 57k

Or is the 52 the starting qualified salary

ROBERT KALFAS

Hi. I am currently in process of filling online application. There is couple of topics which are repeated in questionnaire. Does anyone know why? Should answers be copied and pasted? Those questions are repeated:
1) Now that you've read more about the job, please tell us why you're applying for it and what knowledge or skills you have that might be relevant.

2) Please tell us about anything you get up to outside work that gives us a better idea of what you're like as a person and why you might be right for Southern. Please give the name of the activity and what it says about you.

They ask two of above questions twice i questionnaire and I would like to know if there is any trick behind it?

Regards

Robert

Last edited:
Hi. I am currently in process of filling online application. There is couple of topics which are repeated in questionnaire. Does anyone know why? Should answers be copied and pasted? Those questions are repeated:
1) Now that you've read more about the job, please tell us why you're applying for it and what knowledge or skills you have that might be relevant.

2) Please tell us about anything you get up to outside work that gives us a better idea of what you're like as a person and why you might be right for Southern. Please give the name of the activity and what it says about you.

They ask two of above questions twice i questionnaire and I would like to know if there is any trick behind it?

Regards

Robert

Yes I noticed this - this could just be sloppiness in the application form or they use those parts of the form for different reasons.

I decided there was no way I answer the identical questions differently without waffling, so I cut and pasted them. Whether it will be to my detriment I don't know, but I'm sure I will find out!

Last edited:

B Boy 82

Yes I noticed this - this could just be sloppiness in the application form or they use those parts of the form for different reasons.

I decided there was no way I answer the identical questions differently without waffling, so I cut and pasted them. Whether it will be to my detriment I don't know, but I'm sure I will find out!
I’ve had to do the same. Absolutely no way you can answer differently

B Boy 82

Good evening. I know the closing date is imminent. Has anyone any experience or knowledge into how long responses start to come back ?

Good evening. I know the closing date is imminent. Has anyone any experience or knowledge into how long responses start to come back ?

It took 4 months the last time they recruited (almost exactly 2 years ago) but hopefully they will be a bit quicker this time!

Last edited:

LGB87

Not sure I’ll be close enough to any of the depots commuting from Reading but have applied anyway!

Have passed all tests to National Standard recently but failed Freightliners enhanced Group Bourdon so answered no to all their fail questions and just said yes to attending psychometric assessment and mentioned this in the notes there!

Status
Not open for further replies.