• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

YorkC

Has anyone tried to book these at a ticket office as previously suggested? (& if so does it need to be a TPE-managed office?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A S Leib

Journeys from Newcastle to Newton-le-Willows, Manchester, Leeds and York sorted for £8 total, although from what I can tell the deal doesn't apply to dates when there's engineering works. No £1 tickets showed up for Newcastle – Edinburgh or Carlisle – Glasgow either, but I think I hit the 8 ticket limit before looking for those.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Managed to get a return from Manchester to Edinburgh on the 10th Feb, assuming those trains runs. Cheap way to visit East Linton.

800Travel

TPE £1 Offer

• Transactions are limited to 1 purchase per account for a maximum of 4 return journeys or 8 one-way journeys’.

I’m travelling alone to commute. The journeys I want all show up individually at £1 on the tracker.

I’m trying to work out how to book tickets for 8 one way journeys on different days under the same transaction/basket.

Is this something that can be done please?

I can't figure it out, but wonder if the system only allows 1 train time and date per transaction with multiple tickets but only for the same train.

Thank you

Benjwri

Established Member
TPE £1 Offer

• Transactions are limited to 1 purchase per account for a maximum of 4 return journeys or 8 one-way journeys’.

I’m travelling alone to commute. The journeys I want all show up individually at £1 on the tracker.

I’m trying to work out how to book tickets for 8 one way journeys on different days under the same transaction/basket.

Is this something that can be done please?

I can't figure it out, but wonder if the system only allows 1 train time and date per transaction with multiple tickets but only for the same train.

Thank you
Save them all for later, then go through into saved searches, click buy now for a journey and on the lext page click 'Tickets' in the top left again and repeat the adding from saved searches. Worked for me.

800Travel

Save them all for later, then go through into saved searches, click buy now for a journey and on the lext page click 'Tickets' in the top left again and repeat the adding from saved searches. Worked for me.
Thanks for this - I've been able to get up to 3, but cannot seem to save any more. When I click save for later, it now says no more can be saved. Anyone know a way to fix this please? Thanks

Kite159

Veteran Member
Is it just me who thinks the limit of 1 purchase per account is a bit tight, especially since Northern don't have such a rule when they do their £1 sales?

ServerHoster

I love how it's virtually available on all trains on all routes, makes the Northern sale seem a bit rubbish.

I'm sure you can get around the "one transaction/8 tickets per account" rule by creating a new account with a different email and buying using a different card.

A S Leib

Is it just me who thinks the limit of 1 purchase per account is a bit tight, especially since Northern don't have such a rule when they do their £1 sales?
I love how it's virtually available on all trains on all routes, makes the Northern sale seem a bit rubbish.

I'm sure you can get around the "one transaction/8 tickets per account" rule by creating a new account with a different email and buying using a different card.
The difference being that I don't think Northern's recently had large service cuts, and the most expensive fares which would cover a single Northern train (e.g. £46 for a York – Blackpool North via Burnley anytime day return) is around the same cost as a York – Manchester anytime return, with Liverpool – York or Darlington – Manchester having significantly larger savings from the £1 sale (as well as the fact that some Northern sale tickets were £2).

800Travel

Nice find, thank you very much - sorted now :)

For some reason I was able to make a second transaction using the same account.
Could the TOC not claim this is against the terms and conditions and therefore the ticket is invalid? I'm not wanting to risk any trouble with this promo so am only going for 8 in one transaction for now, but as a frequent commuter any permitted savings are much appreciated.

trover

Could the TOC not claim this is against the terms and conditions and therefore the ticket is invalid? I'm not wanting to risk any trouble with this promo so am only going for 8 in one transaction for now, but as a frequent commuter any permitted savings are much appreciated.
I didn’t go beyond the number of journeys (their definition of, as found in the system), just that I was able to separate them into different transactions. Printed tickets cannot be invalid I guess:s

wilbers

Got 3 day trips booked - Manchester twice, and Glasgow once with about a 2 week gap between each of them.

SeanG

Established Member
The TPE app has crashed on me twice today, taking payment (which is still 'pending' on the bank's app) and not issuing the tickets. I bought the tickets via the (awfully looking) website and will be chasing up via the bank if the erroneous transactions are not sorted.

A word on TPE seat reservations, when booking 4 tickets, with preferences around a table, the system allocates to different tables (on many trains so not because a particular one is full). Apparently, according to a TPE guard, this is normal and the system on 397s even splits up reservations for two people where one is a child and another an adult.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The TPE app has crashed on me twice today, taking payment (which is still 'pending' on the bank's app) and not issuing the tickets. I bought the tickets via the (awfully looking) website and will be chasing up via the bank if the erroneous transactions are not sorted.

I like the Mixing Deck that they brought up for the sale. It's one of the most clear ways of displaying which tickets are available for which services.

With Northern's sale there was a lot more guess work involved and, even after that, it was impossible to find sale fares in both directions on some flows.

If anyone's looking for an early northbound Manchester-Edinburgh and an early evening Edinburgh-Manchester for £1 each way, I found Mondays were a good bet and, for obvious reasons, Saturdays had limited £1 availability. While I need to buy another ticket to get to and from Manchester, I think they are probably the best value fares I've ever had - just as long as the service doesn't end up suspended, or there ends up being consecutive cancellations.

800Travel

The website was incredibly slow yesterday but I eventually got sorted. Best thing I found to do was not try to refresh - just let it load. It takes an age, but refreshing doesn’t speed it up unfortunately.

Fadacious

Mixing deck worked great for me. Got a few trips from York - Edinburgh. Much better than Northern's imo! Now I'm just waiting to see if ScotRail will do any offers ;)

Newton-Le-Willows to Newcastle and Lea Green-Scarborough in half term week- £4 return in total

TheSmiths82

I was supposed to be saving up for my European holiday, but a friend told me about this earlier today. I ended up booking Manchester to Edinburgh return for £2 as it seemed like too much of a bargain. The downside is having to get a hotel which costs money. I just hope it doesn't end up like my last journey to Edinburgh which was a nightmare via TPE although I got a off peak return refund via delay repay.

I am not sure why TPE do these offers, I know Northern occasionally do it but most of their journeys are quite local, not over £200 miles! I suppose they hope that so many people just won't turn up as it is so cheap.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I am not sure why TPE do these offers, I know Northern occasionally do it but most of their journeys are quite local, not over £200 miles! I suppose they hope that so many people just won't turn up as it is so cheap.

With £1 advance fares I expect a number of people will buy more than one ticket to travel back home with, then they can choose to spend longer or shorter in the destination, depending how things go.

I was surprised they didn't do a Ryanair approach with the £1 fares and offer £1 fares to Edinburgh but not from Edinburgh.