• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Perhaps it would be beneficial for us to compile a list of LM-priced flows so that people who would otherwise make a similar journey but priced by a different operator can make a saving.

There are 91311 combinations of origins/destinations priced by LM. I have placed a spreadsheet of them all at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43630892/lm.xlsx
Note that although individual London stations are shown, the ticket would be to London Terminals so may not be valid to the individual station.

Last edited:

NathanPrior

Does that mean i could buy a Virgin ticket on LM website and still get it half price or is it just for LM trains?

Because from what i can see on the T&C its just for LM services.

the sale includes tickets that can be used only on London Midland trains, as well as slightly more expensive tickets that can be used on any train operator's services.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Does anyone know what is going on? The sale is supposed to start at noon today but I can't see any discounted tickets. :|

laird

There are 91311 combinations of origins/destinations priced by LM. I have placed a spreadsheet of them all at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43630892/lm.xlsx
Note that although individual London stations are shown, the ticket would be to London Terminals so may not be valid to the individual station.

The spreadsheet is excellent but when I try Reading to stations on the Bedford-Bletchley line, Aberystwyth to Hanborough/the midlands and similarly from Banbury the sale website doesn't offer the 50% discount. Is there something that means these flows are exempted from the promotion?

All Line Rover

Established Member
The spreadsheet is excellent but when I try Reading to stations on the Bedford-Bletchley line, Aberystwyth to Hanborough/the midlands and similarly from Banbury the sale website doesn't offer the 50% discount. Is there something that means these flows are exempted from the promotion?

It is interesting to note that the T&C's are worded differently to last time. The T&C's previously said that the discount applied to all London Midland (priced) Off-Peak tickets, whereas now it says: "The Rail Sale allows standard class Off-Peak Return, Off-Peak Day Return, Off-Peak Singles, Advance Standard and Advance First tickets to be bought for up to 50% off online."

However, the "up to" part only seems to apply to Advance tickets, and I don't think it is there intention for certain Off-Peak tickets to be excluded from the discount. A number of tickets priced by London Midland where most of the journey is nowhere near the London Midland network do get the discount.

Bletchley to Reading has about half of the journey on London Midland, so I'm surprised it doesn't qualify for the discount. It may just be an oversight, so I'd suggest sending them an e-mail, or ringing them if you want a quicker response (on 0121 634 2040).

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Once again, "new" Redspottedhanky accounts can get a free £10 e-voucher. Simply register here and enter the voucher code "RshTel10A" into the "Saturday Telegraph £10 offer" box.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Once again, "new" Redspottedhanky accounts can get a free £10 e-voucher. Simply register here and enter the voucher code "RshTel10A" into the "Saturday Telegraph £10 offer" box.

I know that technically it's against the terms of the promotion to register with more than one email address to get multiple e-Vouchers but is there anything legally wrong with doing so? I've seen people on another site describe registering multiple emails as tantamount to fraud and would be interested to know how others view it.

I know that technically it's against the terms of the promotion to register with more than one email address to get multiple e-Vouchers but is there anything legally wrong with doing so? I've seen people on another site describe registering multiple emails as tantamount to fraud and would be interested to know how others view it.

The Vouchers must have all gone now as the box where you put code has gone.

pemma

Veteran Member

The RSH promotions have not all had the same T&Cs, so what was acceptable for one promotion may not be for another. This time it did say one per customer.

I imagine RSH could charge you the full amount for your ticket if the same person has tried to use multiple vouchers. I've heard about Love Film doing this when the same household has tried to claim two free trials through posts on Money Saving Expert.

Bungle73

On Moderation
The RSH promotions have not all had the same T&Cs, so what was acceptable for one promotion may not be for another. This time it did say one per customer.

I imagine RSH could charge you the full amount for your ticket if the same person has tried to use multiple vouchers. I've heard about Love Film doing this when the same household has tried to claim two free trials through posts on Money Saving Expert.

How are they going to know, if you use different email addresses, and they don't ask for any other identifying info, apart from a post code (which you can enter any one), and a name which you can fake?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
How are they going to know, if you use different email addresses, and they don't ask for any other identifying info, apart from a post code (which you can enter any one), and a name which you can fake?

Matching credit card details?

clagmonster

Established Member
IP adress. I know it isn't definitive proof, but it could raise suspicion. I'm sure if an effort was made then the evidence could be gathered.

As for the legal consequences, if you used more vouchers than you were entitled to, could a prosecution be bought for deliberately failing to pay the correct fare?

IP adress. I know it isn't definitive proof, but it could raise suspicion. I'm sure if an effort was made then the evidence could be gathered.

As for the legal consequences, if you used more vouchers than you were entitled to, could a prosecution be bought for deliberately failing to pay the correct fare?

Could that also be the case if someone used Mobile broadband which gives a New IP address each time you use it.

clagmonster

Established Member
Could that also be the case if someone used Mobile broadband which gives a New IP address each time you use it.
I don't know because I'm not that technically minded. The other thing I wonder about is the delivery method. If you use TOD, you will have to specify a card, if you use the post you will have to specify an address. Duplications of either of these could raise suspicions.

Donachie

London Midland up to 50% off tickets

http://www.londonmidland.com/sale/

Anyone else having problems picking up 50% sale tickets at station.

Went to my nominated station and no tickets would issue .

Very helpful station staff told me the message was :

Unable to sell this ticket. Ticket format Cant be sold.

QABTTCCI on line

Sales Only. (o)

Phoned helpline number on my confirmation e mail and told to buy normal price tickets and send them back to LM customer services for a refund !!!:cry:

Donachie.

All Line Rover

Established Member
My understanding is that they booked online and weren't able to collect the tickets.

That's not how I understand: "Unable to sell this ticket. Ticket format Cant be sold." Although to then say "Phoned helpline number on my confirmation e mail and told to buy normal price tickets and send them back to LM customer services for a refund !!!" does confuse things.

Anyway, if the OP was collecting the tickets, I'm not having any problems, nor is anyone else, so it appears that the OP's case was a one off.

nedchester

Established Member

I think people using multiple vouchers is quite common with these kind of offers (I'm not talking about the railways necessarily here). Things like supermarket coupons ar often transferred between people (other than the ones it was intended for) and I have never heard of any prosecutions occurring. I think if you are caught then it's a matter of them blocking your usage of the vouchers.

cjp

Southern's 34% off sale extended to May 13th

"We'd like to give a massive 34% off Southern Advance tickets for even longer, so we've extended the Spring Sale until 13th May. PLUS, children can travel one way for just £1. Book soon to get our lowest fares from only £3.30 as they sell out fast.

Don't forget that travel can be booked up to 12 weeks in advance, so just book your Southern Advance tickets by 13th May and you can enjoy 34% off your tickets until mid-August!
"

Anyone else having problems picking up 50% sale tickets at station.

Went to my nominated station and no tickets would issue .

Very helpful station staff told me the message was :

Unable to sell this ticket. Ticket format Cant be sold.

QABTTCCI on line

Sales Only. (o)

Phoned helpline number on my confirmation e mail and told to buy normal price tickets and send them back to LM customer services for a refund !!!:cry:

Donachie.

It seems there have been some issues with certain TOCs' self-service ticket machines, but sale tickets can be collected from the ticket window in these cases. That said, the last problem area (ATW) seems to have been resolved. Whatever the case, we'll make sure we credit your online account if you ended up buying extra tickets as a result of the fault. Send a tweet to @londonmidland and we'll deal with it on there.

David

Clip

Established Member
Just saw an ad in the standard about this

http://chilternrailways.co.uk/eveningstandard50

400 available per day but thats fantastic value for money

Did you know the best way to travel between London and Birmingham is now Chiltern Mainline? And with an amazing fare from just £25 return, even when you depart from London in the morning peak, it’s a fantastic price too!

Following a £250m upgrade, passengers on Chiltern Mainline can now travel from London Marylebone to Birmingham in as little as 100 minutes.

To celebrate, we’re offering Evening Standard readers the chance to visit Birmingham on Mainline for just 50p return.

To book your 50p ticket, simply enter your details opposite and you’ll be taken to our dedicated booking page to choose your travel times.

Tickets are available for travel between 23rd April and 26th May 2012 (excluding Sundays, Saturday 5th May and Bank Holiday Monday 7th May)

There are a limited number of tickets available so book now to avoid disappointment.

To see more information on Mainline click here.

Terms and conditions:

Terms and Conditions 50p tickets are valid on Chiltern Railways from London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street. Only available through the Chiltern Railways website. Tickets will be available for travel from 17th April to 26th May 2012 (excluding 5th and 7th May) or until the maximum ticket allocation has been reached, whichever is sooner. Offer available on a selected trains between Monday and Saturday. Valid for standard class travel only. Tickets are sold as 25p single tickets. If the 25p fare is sold out on a train, our normal range of fares will be shown. It is possible to purchase a return journey combining a 25p ticket in one direction, and a normal ticket in the other. No break of journey is permitted in either direction. Tickets are non refundable and subject to availability. A £10 upgrade to the Business Zone (available on selected trains) can be purchased at a Chiltern Railways booking office or onboard the train. No refunds available.

oops shouldve gone in the cheap fares thread.. Also i done a search but didnt find any other thread

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Got one of the Chiltern tickets.

Shame it wouldn't let me get a Birmingham Plusbus to go with it (said there were no delivery options for it, presumably as the 50p ticket is a print-at-home job).

Would I be able to get one on the day?

SS4

Established Member
Got one of the Chiltern tickets.

Shame it wouldn't let me get a Birmingham Plusbus to go with it (said there were no delivery options for it, presumably as the 50p ticket is a print-at-home job).

Would I be able to get one on the day?

I don't see why not, it's a perfectly valid ticket
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've got mine now. Shame they weren't available in the opposite direction but won't hurt