• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Having repeated problems "unable to commit your order" after the payment stage. :@

ATOS Origin-based systems were having technical issues last night - I was having similar problems booking through redspottedhanky.

(Much to my annoyance, they managed to pre-authorise the funds from my card, so it's looking like the best part of a week before it'll reappear in my bank account again!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyMarkD

D'oh! I'm not bothered about the odd £1 transaction (2 x 50p returns) being pre-authorised and not released, but I'm very irritated that I didn't get the tickets I want which are now sold out. Unfortunately I am really short of spare Saturdays during the life of the Chiltern promotion so can't now take it up.

calc7

Established Member
Just booked 8th May for me and a friend to Birmingham on the loco-hauled stock both ways. £1 - bargain!

emorris

Hi, some of the sites seem to have been rearranging their websites and hence some links are dead.

East Coast

Dead link - now http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-offers/standard-live-pages/3plus/

Southeastern

Offer expired.

Southern

Dead link - now second half of http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/railcards-and-discounts/group-travel/

Edit: it's not the same offer. They now seem to do Group Save and reduced tickets for 10+ instead.

First Great Western

Site seems down.

Grand Central

Now available through main site; not sure if print@home is still cheaper - http://www.grandcentralrail.com/
"Mobitix e-tickets are no longer available for Grand Central services. Please go to the booking page to buy train tickets for Print@Home, home delivery or for collection at fast ticket machines."

London Midland

Dead link - now http://www.londonmidland.com/sale/

MarkyMarkD

Already posted a while ago, and rapidly decreasing availability (particularly for London-Birmingham - quite likely to be better for those travelling the other way, given the promotion is in London not Birmingham).

lyesbkz

Please remember to retain PART 1 of the voucher. You MUST carry this part of the voucher with you when travelling to validate your ticket.

Looks like the codewords aren't much use without the voucher!

Although the T&C say..

You must carry Part 2 of the voucher with you when travelling to validate your ticket(s).

danbushell

This offer is for £19 returns anywhere on Scotrail Services valid for outward travel by 31st May. No reservations neccessary.
You need two code words though, Code word 2 is - OFFER.
Does anyone have Code word 1 please?

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/dailyrecord
the firs word is SPRING
need to make sure you enter them in capitals.
tried to do a dummy booking and it wouldn't accept Berwick On Tweed or Carlisle (iboth in England but sometimes included in promotions) but it also wouldn't accept Lockerbie!!
i was going to order a back issue form the Daily Record offices so i had the voucher needed.

kennythelad

the firs word is SPRING
need to make sure you enter them in capitals.
tried to do a dummy booking and it wouldn't accept Berwick On Tweed or Carlisle (iboth in England but sometimes included in promotions) but it also wouldn't accept Lockerbie!!
i was going to order a back issue form the Daily Record offices so i had the voucher needed.

Thanks for that mate. Lockerbie and Berwick don't get any Scotrail services though do they?. Might be worth trying Gretna and just buy a return from Carlisle to there.

pemma

Veteran Member
Likely the last chance for the 25p Chiltern offer. Martin Lewis is about to publicise it in his MoneySavingExpert email based on his Facebook preview.

scotsman

Established Member
Thanks for that mate. Lockerbie and Berwick don't get any Scotrail services though do they?. Might be worth trying Gretna and just buy a return from Carlisle to there.

Gretna ticket, travel via Carlisle and provide an itinery from a journey planner if questions are asked

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Likely the last chance for the 25p Chiltern offer. Martin Lewis is about to publicise it in his MoneySavingExpert email based on his Facebook preview.

Cheers - just grabbed another 50ps worth for the same day as my original purchase. I'm now covered if I either sleep in or get bored of Birmingham and decide to come back early :)

calc7

Established Member

Thanks :) Just booked a backup day of 1 1/2 hrs in Brum on the last day of the offer for a princely 50p. Even if I don't go I won't care!

pemma

Veteran Member

The subject line for the email says "25p trains"! I think I could loan Northern £10 for new trains on the lines I use at a nice interest rate. :D

LondonJohn

I have had an email from Virgin Trains with a PIN offering £10 discount on any Virgin Advanced fares of £50 or more. Can be used up to 6 May for travel up to 26 July. First person to DM asking for it and I will DM them back with the PIN which is a one time use.

T&C

erms and Conditions
The £10 discount applies when using a valid PIN (Personal Identification Number) and spending £50 or more on Virgin Trains Advance fares only. No further discounts apply. Booking period is from the date the PIN is sent out until 23.59 on 6 May 2012 only. PIN can be used for travel from 7 May until 23.59 on 26 July 2012. The offer is limited to one PIN per person. The PIN is valid for use once only. The £10 discount can only be applied when using the link supplied in the email containing the PIN. Railcard and child discounts apply. Customers must travel on the trains they reserve and sit in the seats they reserve. Travel is subject to availability and requested journeys cannot be guaranteed. Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. Tickets can be collected the by the e-ticket option and at FastTicket machines at the relevant station. Ticket purchases can be amended by paying a £10 administration fee and the difference in fares.

LondonJohn

Of course, which explains why it is a PIN and not a voucher code.

Its a long alphanumeric number. Full T&C says needs to be booked via link in email so doesnt mean to say you have to use that email address as far as I can see. Am happy to forward email on if someone wants the code. I wont be using it.

Seems a shame for it to go to waste.

johnnycache

Southern and Gatwick Express

There are nearly always discounts for Southern Advance tickets on southernrailway.com
The discount at the moment is 34%

There are also discounts for many off-peak fares at southernrailway.com
Usually the discount is 10%

The discounts will change to 20% (Advance) 12% (Off-peak) at some time in the future - 20-12 relates to some sporting event i understand

There are discounts on a more or less permanent basis at gatwickexpress.com usually on return fares and "duo" a fare for couples

Daysave fares are only sold at southernrailway.com these include
off-peak (single person) £12
off-peak group (4 people) £24
peak (single person) £30
weekly (single person) £80
carnet (5 peak tickets) £100

Downlander includes bus services in the south downs area

Groupsave

Not available from all websites mainly due to technical issues
Trainline websites show groupsave in the list of railcards
ATOS webTIS sites show it on the mixing deck
Other websites can't sell it to my knowledge

Child flat fares
I'm not aware of any website that can sell a child flat fare yet

All Line Rover

Established Member
Just a little heads up for those who travel with Eurostar, or who want to travel with Eurostar in the near future.

Opodo are giving a £40 discount on combined Eurostar/hotel bookings PLUS a FREE upgrade to Standard Premier. On top of this, Topcashback are offering 5% cashback via this link (just type "Opodo" into the search bar at the top of the page). (I believe that going via this link also offers new customers an additional £10 in cashback, but I can't be sure of this as the T&C's aren't very clear!).

Overall, factoring in the discount and cashback, I can find combined Eurostar Standard Premier / 1-night hotel breaks to Paris and Brussels for as little as £150 per person. Not bad when the Eurostar ticket alone would cost more than that! :)

I've never heard of this company before, but they've had over 7000 successful transactions with Topcashback so seem to be well established.

Also, when Topcashback send you to the Opodo website, you can find the Eurostar page by clicking "City Breaks" and then "Eurostar breaks" in the navigation bar at the top of the page.

T&C's are as follows:

Topcashback/Opodo said:
Terms and Conditions. This upgrade offer is subject to limited promotional availability on selected trains (Friday before 12:00, Saturday/Sunday all day, Monday - Thursday between 08:30 and 16:00). When its gone its gone.To travel at other times and/or days of the week prices are available on request. All bookings on request. All prices are per person based on two adults sharing and include travel at off peak times on selected departure days depending on hotel. Supplements may apply on selected peak dates. On Monday arrivals, or where supplements apply, the upgrade is discounted, not free. Discounts are based on the AA Getaways price guide edition 3. Last date to redeem £40 money off voucher is 12th May . Last possible booking date 31 May 2012 . Calls cost 5p per minute plus network extras. Credit card fee 2%. See the website for details our data protection policy. All breaks are subject to availability. Full terms and conditions apply. AA Getaways is a trading name of Acromas Holidays Ltd (ABTA Y1720)

Wolfie

Established Member
Just a little heads up for those who travel with Eurostar, or who want to travel with Eurostar in the near future.

Opodo are giving a £40 discount on combined Eurostar/hotel bookings PLUS a FREE upgrade to Standard Premier. On top of this, Topcashback are offering 5% cashback via this link (just type "Opodo" into the search bar at the top of the page). (I believe that going via this link also offers new customers an additional £10 in cashback, but I can't be sure of this as the T&C's aren't very clear!).

Overall, factoring in the discount and cashback, I can find combined Eurostar Standard Premier / 1-night hotel breaks to Paris and Brussels for as little as £150 per person. Not bad when the Eurostar ticket alone would cost more than that! :)

I've never heard of this company before, but they've had over 7000 successful transactions with Topcashback so seem to be well established.

Also, when Topcashback send you to the Opodo website, you can find the Eurostar page by clicking "City Breaks" and then "Eurostar breaks" in the navigation bar at the top of the page.

T&C's are as follows:

My italics

Which company, Opodo? Only one of the biggest airline booking websites around, owned. I believe. in part by several large airlines.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opodo

pemma

Veteran Member
(I believe that going via this link also offers new customers an additional £10 in cashback, but I can't be sure of this as the T&C's aren't very clear!).[

No you got a bonus £10 if the account balance of the referee reaches £10 of confirmed cashback, which TCB reserve the right to change at any time. Certain transactions are excluded e.g. insurance quotes and if you are found to refer yourself both accounts would be terminated.

All Line Rover

Established Member
No you got a bonus £10 if the account balance of the referee reaches £10 of confirmed cashback, which TCB reserve the right to change at any time. Certain transactions are excluded e.g. insurance quotes and if you are found to refer yourself both accounts would be terminated.

I referred a former teacher of mine to Plusnet, via Topcashback, and a £10 bonus was given to both accounts. I was quite surprised - pleasantly! I'm not sure if this was a temporary offer, but it was only a few months ago.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
One of Eurostar's three classes. They are Standard, Standard Premier (1st class for leisure) and Business Premier (1st class for business).
You get more space and a cold meal and drinks in Standard Premier.
In Business Premier you get faster check-in, access to lounges, drinks, a full meal and lots of space (presumably even more than Standard Premier).
For more details of Eurostar's classes, see http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/on_board/travel_classes.jsp

There are no non-flexible fares in Business Premier and none for less than £189 in Standard Premier so if you compare them to the headline fares in Standard they are extremely expensive. However, when comparing non-flexible fares or to fares available near the time of travel, the difference is not so enormous.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
One of Eurostar's three classes. They are Standard, Standard Premier (1st class for leisure) and Business Premier (1st class for business).
You get more space and a cold meal and drinks in Standard Premier.
In Business Premier you get faster check-in, access to lounges, drinks, a full meal and lots of space (presumably even more than Standard Premier).
For more details of Eurostar's classes, see http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/on_board/travel_classes.jsp

There are no non-flexible fares in Standard Premier or Business Premier so if you compare them to the headline fares in Standard they are extremely expensive. However, when compared to non-flexible fares in Standard or to fares available near the time of travel, the difference is not so enormous.

The actual accommodation is identical, although I don't know if the Business Premier carriages are busier or quieter than the Standard Premier carriages. The only definite benefits that Business Premier brings are access to First Class lounges, a quicker check in and enhanced food and drink.

Standard Premier DOES have Advance tickets (unlike Business Premier), but with prices starting at £189 return it isn't cheap.

Mike C

To clarify:
Std Premier gives you a seat in a 1st class carriage and a meal with drinks (the type will depend on the time of travel) which usually consists of 3 small courses served to your seat. Business Premier adds a larger cooked meal (and a choice of meals), and a shorter check in time. You also get to use the lounges at the terminals. To be clear: the physical type of seat in both cases is identical but located in different carriages.

Last edited:

OwlMan

Established Member
PLUSBUS sale June & July

During June or July 2012 tickets bought online (from participating websites) will be £1.50 a day, for bus travel to & from the station (& around town).

PLUSBUS day tickets for £1.50 must be bought online from participating websites only during May, June and July 2012. Participating websites are Arriva Trains Wales, c2c, CrossCountry, First Capital Connect, First Great Western, First TransPennine Express, Greater Anglia, Qjump, ScotRail, thetrainline and Virgin Trains.
Other online rail ticket retailers are not participating in thePLUSBUS day tickets for £1.50 online offer.
PLUSBUS day tickets bought at station ticket offices, by telephone and from self-service ticket machines at stations will cost the normal price

Excluded destinations:
PLUSBUS day tickets for £1.50 online are not available for Edinburgh.

Available for purchase from now until 31/07/2012.
Bus travel must be made during June or July 2012 (from 01/06/2012 until 31/07/2012).
No Discounts on this promotion.
This promotion is valid only in the direction of origin to destination.