• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cletus

Established Member
Another Southeastern 25% off peak train ticket sale

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/destinations/save-25-off-peak/

From Thursday 21st March - Sunday 14th April you can get 25% OFF many standard off-peak mainline and high speed tickets when you buy online.
You can save 25% on the following tickets: Off-Peak Day Single; Off-Peak Day Return; Off-Peak Open Return; Super Off-Peak Single; Super Off-Peak Return. You can buy the discounted off-peak tickets for travel to and from anywhere on our network excluding journeys wholly within London Zones 1-6.
Railcard discounts are also available giving up to 1/3 off the discounted ticket price

Be3G

Established Member
I'm confused. :( Looking at prices from London to High Brooms using that Southeastern offer combined with a railcard, the CDR gets a discount of ~43% off the normal price, whilst the SVR gets ~51% off. Mathematically, the two discounts should combine to provide 50% off precisely. The 51% is close enough (it'll just be down to rounding), but why does the CDR get a noticeably smaller discount?

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm confused. :( Looking at prices from London to High Brooms using that Southeastern offer combined with a railcard, the CDR gets a discount of ~43% off the normal price, whilst the SVR gets ~51% off. Mathematically, the two discounts should combine to provide 50% off precisely. The 51% is close enough (it'll just be down to rounding), but why does the CDR get a noticeably smaller discount?

I think you've made a mathematical error or are using an old CDR fare.

CDR is usually £11.10 with railcard. Southeastern are offering it for £8.20. The difference is £2.90. 2.90/11.10*100= 26.1% reduction. As Southeastern are advertising 25% off I think the CDR discount given is in line with what they are advertising.

taxidave

I have today received the following e-mail from LM which rather contradicts the advice I was given on this forum yesterday.
Unfortunately, due to engineering works over the Easter Bank Holiday
weekend, London Midland is not running train services from Birmingham New
Street to Stafford. Because of this, you cannot use the RailSail offer on
tickets between these stations as they are only valid on our services. I
am sorry that I am unable to give you a more positive answer to your query.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have today received the following e-mail from LM which rather contradicts the advice I was given on this forum yesterday.

Someone is spouting bull I can assure you. The sale of the ticket is subject to the NRCoC and Condition 10 makes it abundantly clear that your ticket must be accepted by other TOCs over permitted routes, assuming that it is routed Any Permitted.

Be3G

Established Member
CDR is usually £11.10 with railcard. Southeastern are offering it for £8.20. The difference is £2.90. 2.90/11.10*100= 26.1% reduction. As Southeastern are advertising 25% off I think the CDR discount given is in line with what they are advertising.

Hmm. Using Southeastern's site, searching for tickets from London to High Brooms for any time this Saturday, it gives me a Network-railcard-inclusive CDR price of £9.60. But then I try again with a 16–25 railcard, and it offers it for £8.20. :?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There appears to be an error on WebTIS, as if you look on the Southern Railway website (which has no discount on Southeastern tickets) they sell a Web Off Peak Day Return with Network Rc'd for £13, and 26% off this would make it £9.60. It appears they have chosen the wrong ticket to discount.

Be3G

Established Member
Excellent sleuthing, I'll see if I can raise that with Southeastern to be fixed.

I was also disappointed, though not entirely surprised, to note that it appears the offer is valid only on journeys wholly using Southeastern, rather than on any journey priced by them – I had initially hoped to get a discounted ticket (still priced by LSE) from my local GA station in London, but it's not possible.

greatkingrat

Established Member
It seems to be journeys that start and finish at a SE station. The tickets are valid on any TOC (if there is an option), eg they will sell discounted tickets for Ashford - Battle via Hastings.

pemma

Veteran Member
RSH are giving away £10 vouchers again. 30,000 available on a first come first served basis. Only one voucher per person is permitted and will be applied within 72 hours if successful. The vouchers expire 31/12/2013.

Code to enter is GjATel13 in box on personal details page.

http://www.redspottedhanky.com/telegraph/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If anyone's booking via RSH this week the cashback rate on Topcashback is up to 2.02%. If I'd known that I would have waited until today instead of booking yesterday. :(

Lee_Again

East Coast Rewards - Double points and 20% off

20% of all reward purchases and double points on all purchases.

Valid until 1st April.

Excellent.

Goatboy

Established Member
RSH are giving away £10 vouchers again. 30,000 available on a first come first served basis. Only one voucher per person is permitted and will be applied within 72 hours if successful. The vouchers expire 31/12/2013.

Code to enter is GjATel13 in box on personal details page.

http://www.redspottedhanky.com/telegraph/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If anyone's booking via RSH this week the cashback rate on Topcashback is up to 2.02%. If I'd known that I would have waited until today instead of booking yesterday. :(

Anyone actually got this to work this time? I entered the code from the paper on Sunday. So far... nothing.

pemma

Veteran Member
Anyone actually got this to work this time? I entered the code from the paper on Sunday. So far... nothing.

Not for me. It did say to allow 72 hours though. Has anyone who signed up after it was posted on here got the voucher? I posted it at practically the same time as tony_mac but as I added another post later on the time given is for my post is for the second post that got merged in to the first using the double post prevention system.

Also relating to RSH a set of tickets I received yesterday from them included a 'ticket' with nothing on it except the words 'VOID VOID VOID' across the middle. That was unusual!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not for me. It did say to allow 72 hours though. Has anyone who signed up after it was posted on here got the voucher? I posted it at practically the same time as tony_mac but as I added another post later on the time given is for my post is for the second post that got merged in to the first using the double post prevention system.

Also relating to RSH a set of tickets I received yesterday from them included a 'ticket' with nothing on it except the words 'VOID VOID VOID' across the middle. That was unusual!

Are you sure it wasn't just in the tray? I've found TVMs with a whole load of VOIDED, ickets spewed out on the floor in front of them before, early in the morning.

pemma

Veteran Member
Are you sure it wasn't just in the tray? I've found TVMs with a whole load of VOIDED, ickets spewed out on the floor in front of them before, early in the morning.

They were sent to me by post and the order of 'tickets' was outbound journey ticket, outbound seat reservation, return journey ticket, void ticket, return seat reservation.

After experiencing a very unresponsive touch screen on the TVM at Knutsford last time I picked up tickets from there and it was cold I selected the post tickets to me option this time.

Bungle73

On Moderation
East Coast Rewards - Double points and 20% off

20% of all reward purchases and double points on all purchases.

Valid until 1st April.

Excellent.

Just booked a couple of FC Lounge passes for May. Good job I hadn't done it until now. :)

Goatboy

Established Member

So another RSH con then? More of a farce than the bungled voucher-hack thing we had last time because this time I've actually wasted 2 quid on a paper!

IanD

Established Member
Don't know how they allocate them, from what I read thought it was first come first served. I added my code at 09:05 and haven't got my tenner. Yet, once again, my mate who added theirs at 10:15 has got their voucher.

(And yes, I did get it out of a real paper for once!)