• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Haywain

Veteran Member
The 10% credit rebate on train travel with Uber has been extended (yet again) from 31 December 2023 to 29 February 2024

On iOS at least, there have been some improvements to the rail booking interface in the Uber app, including the ability to add tickets to the Apple Wallet.
I recently bought a ticket through Uber and there is no sign of a 10% credit rebate. How do you get this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James H

A few days to a week after the last day of validity of the rail ticket, a promotional credit ('Uber Travel Reward') is added to your Uber wallet.

You usually get a notification when this happens

Haywain

Veteran Member
A few days to a week after the last day of validity of the rail ticket, a promotional credit ('Uber Travel Reward') is added to your Uber wallet.
I see. That means another three weeks to wait to see that it works! Thanks for clarifying, at least I now know to keep an eye open for it, and what will happen when I buy my next tickets (courtesy of the cheap Tesco vouchers).

lewismachyach

For those with Monzo cards, their new cashback scheme, which may still be rolling out, is showing me an offer of 10% cashback on LNER purchases (also 5% on Virgin Trains Ticketing purchases), when the offer is activated, until the 29th November. No minimum spend listed.

Update: It's now 8% back on LNER and the same Virgin Trains Ticketing offer, available until 11 13 December. Here's a Monzo referral link if anyone wants to sign up.

Last edited:

AlastairFraser

Established Member
For those with Monzo cards, their new cashback scheme, which may still be rolling out, is showing me an offer of 10% cashback on LNER purchases (also 5% on Virgin Trains Ticketing purchases), when the offer is activated, until the 29th November. No minimum spend listed.
Can confirm I signed up for Monzo and both offers were presented to me.

Update. - both offers worked - only one day left now!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Virgin Trains Ticketing are offering 1,000 points (worth £5 off a train ticket) to new customers spending at least £10.

Once you have signed up and made a purchase, you’re given a promo code which you have to copy and paste into the Virgin Red website. You can then on your second purchase choose to redeem this toward a discount off your total.

mad_rich

1000 Virgin points are probably worth more than £5 elsewhere, although it does depend how many you have. No harm in holding onto the points for a while and hoping for a double value redemption

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Uber Travel seem to be offering a £5 discount on rail fares if you've used Uber Travel to book rail tickets before. Ends 31st December.

miklcct

On Moderation
The 10% credit rebate on train travel with Uber has been extended (yet again) from 31 December 2023 to 29 February 2024

On iOS at least, there have been some improvements to the rail booking interface in the Uber app, including the ability to add tickets to the Apple Wallet.
Apology for asking, how can Uber Credit be used? Can it be used on any Uber Eats order or be used to buy further train ticket?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Northern's £1 ticket sale is back from 3rd January

The last one in the summer/autumn was much better than previous sales. It covered more routes and many smaller stations, even if you had to pay 2 pounds rather than a pound in a few cases. I always say that 2 pounds is what you'd pay on a bus, yet you get the comfort of a train for the same or lower (pound for pound).

aavm

In a triumph of hope over experience, here's looking foreword to a new year full of special offers.

gray1404

Established Member
I'm wanting to book a train ticket for travel on 1 January returning on the 3rd. Are there any good cashback or reward offers I can avail of at the moment?

mangyiscute

Established Member
I'm wanting to book a train ticket for travel on 1 January returning on the 3rd. Are there any good cashback or reward offers I can avail of at the moment?
10% back at Uber is your best bet, especially when combined with buying uber gift cards at a discount from somewhere

island

Veteran Member
If you have credit cards check the retailer offers as you may see 5 or 10% for the likes of LNER or Avanti.

mm333

If you have credit cards check the retailer offers as you may see 5 or 10% for the likes of LNER or Avanti.

And certain bank accounts/debit cards. Halifax have given me cashback offers on LNER, Avanti and Transpennine in the last few months.

And a reminder of you can afford it that you can buy LNER vouchers up to the value of £300 and get cashback on them. Well, at least I could with the Halifax offer.

gray1404

Established Member
I've currently got 5% back with Avanti and Virgin Trains Ticketing and 8% with LNER on my credit card rewards. So I might as well use the LNER offer as all I'd be getting with UBER is 10%>

Does Virgin Trains Ticketing still have a £5 cashback offer? If so perhaps I could combine they with 5% off via my credit card.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Does Virgin Trains Ticketing still have a £5 cashback offer? If so perhaps I could combine they with 5% off via my credit card.
It appears to have expired. IIRC, it was time limited until the end of the year (i.e. today) but also to 5,000 applications - which presumably have now all been used as I can't find any sign of it on Virgin's website.

gray1404

Established Member
It appears to have expired. IIRC, it was time limited until the end of the year (i.e. today) but also to 5,000 applications - which presumably have now all been used as I can't find any sign of it on Virgin's website.
There is still a banner on their app, which I've just downloaded, about it. However the terms say it's limited to 5000.

James H

I've currently got 5% back with Avanti and Virgin Trains Ticketing and 8% with LNER on my credit card rewards. So I might as well use the LNER offer as all I'd be getting with UBER is 10%>
You can also buy Uber gift cards / credit for less than face value. You can buy Uber credit via Airtime Rewards and get 4 per cent back, then use the credit to buy rail tickets and get the 10 per cent rebate.

Smidster

Northerns offer is now open.

Though in news that I am sure will shock and amaze the website is down.

Iskra

Established Member
Had to keep refreshing online to get it to work, but Ive got Leeds-Carlisle-Barrow-Carlisle-Leeds for £4.

A S Leib

I've got Newcastle–Carlisle–Barrow and return, Newcastle–Carlisle and return, Newcastle–Haltwhistle, Hexham–Newcastle and York–Hessle for £9. It's still useful starting from Newcastle, but a TPE, CrossCountry or LNER deal at some point would be nice as well.