• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spitfire Spin & win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I will probably go for the spin and win on the 1st aug and the cumbrian coaster on the 12th of sept.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Bargain fare for a spinner too! And on the plus side for us northern folks, we can get on at Sheffield and still get all the locos in - much better than having to drive to Birmingham, setting off in the middle of the night!

alex57601

mite do it, good memories of 37 + 20 on fellsman chopper :)

Which don't forget, wasn't advertised in the first place and came about after a request from DRS to substitute a 20 for 37423 in order to position the nose-ped ready for a saloon job. Some saw it as an annoyance, others (in particular the EE and Class 37 fraternity) saw it as a bonus.

Which don't forget, wasn't advertised in the first place and came about after a request from DRS to substitute a 20 for 37423 in order to position the nose-ped ready for a saloon job. Some saw it as an annoyance, others (in particular the EE and Class 37 fraternity) saw it as a bonus.
Alex, for the record, during and after the tour we had a total of 3 complaints, one the day/email/letter.

With around 500 people onboard, I think the majority accepted the situation.

Anyhow I'd like to point out that August 1st is a "Multi Traction tour", other operators do Spin n Win :lol:

Last edited:

Alex, for the record, during and after the tour we had a total of 3 complaints, one the day/email/letter.

With around 500 people onboard, I think the majority accepted the situation.

Anyhow I'd like to point out that August 1st is a "Multi Traction tour", other operators do Spin n Win :lol:

I thought it was a good combination, it was quite funny that the 37 completely drowned out the 20 :lol: but i had no problem with that :)

Ilove165's

Multiple locomotives on the same tour

For example, this one has a 66/4, 2x37s, 20/37 double header and a 57 (all from DRS) hauling the stock at various times during the day

4SRKT

Established Member
Will the 37 on the Leeds-Carlisle leg be one of the pair on the return via Shap? Looking forward to this tour, but may clash with family holiday. The wife wants to go to a music festival in Dorset in late July which would work out well as we'd be unlikely to take the main family holiday straight after that, thus leaving 1st August free for bashing! Will get on at Sheffield to cover the 66 and the 'snatcher. :)

Will the 37 on the Leeds-Carlisle leg be one of the pair on the return via Shap? Looking forward to this tour, but may clash with family holiday. The wife wants to go to a music festival in Dorset in late July which would work out well as we'd be unlikely to take the main family holiday straight after that, thus leaving 1st August free for bashing! Will get on at Sheffield to cover the 66 and the 'snatcher. :)
I should think it will be a different 37 but i may be wrong.

Established Member

i was one that saw it as a very big bonus :D i got right behind the beasts on the way home

For those unaware, timings have now been received, several alterations to what appears in Trust for those of you with access, latest upload, possibly the final one tonight.

Full details of the alterations to this charter are on our website :-
http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk/latest_news.htm

Biggest issues being Derby/Chesterfield pick ups now replaced by Alfreton, also of note we're unable to turn at Leeds in the pm, as a result we're running through to Wakefield Kirkgate for a set down, as a result Westgate has been added as well as Leeds on the outward.
The change in pick ups/set downs is due to pathing constraints, apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. Tickets and letters detailing the changes should be posted out tomorrow.

Established Member
If only i had the cash, i regret not booking now ahh well theres always the one in september.

whats the mileage on this one id imagine its quite high looking at the route

theblackwatch

Established Member
whats the mileage on this one id imagine its quite high looking at the route

Pretty low compared to the last Spitfire trip!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So how many of you are on this tomorrow? I know i am

I shall be doing it, nice easy day out from Wakefield. My red pen will be on board for the 66, but sadly 20604 is dud! :lol:

Last edited:

Chester025

Oh dear! Train has left Blackburn an hour late after having to knock 57007 off there with knackered wheelsets after 'dragging brakes', or did someone leave the handbrake on? Either way, someones gonna get told off!

Add to that no 20 on the train and 37229 being replaced by 37676, not a good day for Spitfire. But nothing ever goes wrong with DRS traction...

Ferret

Established Member
Points failure at Kirkgate now! Looks like it's not your day 37113! :(

Chester025

Points failure at Kirkgate now! Looks like it's not your day 37113! :(

Now going via Doncaster due to cable theft at Moorthorpe. The planned route was to go Kirkgate - Barnsley direct, but due to a problem with '676s horns it has had to be diverted. So I guess Spitfire will have to pay out for everyone who has missed their last connection home?

theblackwatch

Established Member
So I guess Spitfire will have to pay out for everyone who has missed their last connection home?

I think not - getting people home from where they alight from the tour isn't the promoter's responsibility. I guess this just shows that nowadays people very rarely want to take responsiility for themselves.

I bailed off the tour at Wakefield, where it arrived around 100 minutes late - unsure where it was heading next, suspect Whitehall curve then Wakefield Westgate and down to Sheffield. It'll be a late night back for some. Been a few years since I was on a tour with a good old collapse like this one, I think the last I can recall was the Pathfinder trip to Pwllheli which ended up at Blackpool.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I heard that the tour is terminating at Birmingham New St.

No-one seemed to care about the 57 being taken off at Blackburn, I even heard cheers when it was announced it had been removed.

They'd either have to lay on transport to get people back to Wolves, or the 0055 replacement bus service from BHM will be very busy :lol: Scheduled arrival time is 0145 but surely it doesn't take that long on a bus non-stop?!

The tour did indeed go via Wakefield Westgate, where about 30 bashers and a dozen or so "normals" had been waiting for up to half an hour for a train to Leeds. Sadly the drivers didn't thrash up through the station.

'rmt' was spotted in his usual place on tours (the front window) as it went past!

alex57601

I think not - getting people home from where they alight from the tour isn't the promoter's responsibility. I guess this just shows that nowadays people very rarely want to take responsiility for themselves.

That is certainly true, although I suppose each case is different and it's down to the promoter's discretion whether or not to bend the T&Cs - a politely worded letter might help any such case.

Seems that not all went to plan yesterday. I wasn't on it, although I do feel sorry for those who were arriving back into Birmingham at midnight and the Wolverhampton passengers having to make their own way back as I've been in a similar position myself in the past. The more complex tours become, the more likely things are going to go wrong and when they do it's in a big way, although reading what's been posted elsewhere I think it's only right that it should be hats off to Spitfire, DRS and WCRC for operating it under difficult circumstances, and credit to WCRC for providing 37676 at such short notice.

It's funny how the removal of the 57 was supposedly warmly welcomed. I wonder if the same would've applied had it been a much-needed 37?

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Oh dear! Train has left Blackburn an hour late after having to knock 57007 off there with knackered wheelsets after 'dragging brakes', or did someone leave the handbrake on? Either way, someones gonna get told off!

Got told some dodgy brake valve and they didn't release when the rest of them were

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Don't suppose anyone could supply the mileage for the Return of Spitfires Cumbrian Crusader tour that ran yesterday(/this morning!). I wasn't paying attention but didn't we do Wakefield Kirkgate - Some curve to avoid Leeds - Wakefield Westgate - Doncaster - Meadowhall - Sheffield then normal route home to Brum?

Ta

Got it now ta

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.