• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach gets the East Midlands Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

332 > 444

You should be so lucky, they aint even got a website yet unless the url will surfce later in the day.

On the other hand, Stagecoach is good for drafting in new fleets, prehaps we have seen the end of 153s, 156s and possibly 158s. Hmm a Stagecoach livered Meridian.....

Established Member
ypby0d.jpg

The sign of things to come!

332 > 444

Knowing Stagecoach and their desire for new stock, them poor excuses for trains shall be going.

Established Member
yer i did it for a laugh, might be another order of 185s, knowing stagecoaches love for Desiros they might get them coz there 450s on diesel bascially,

332 > 444

Well, i hope they make them 4 carriage, but them 185s are noisy as hell, same engine as a 220 etc but noiser.

I wonder if they will refurbish the 158s to SWT standard (never seen the interior nor been on a 158/159 ever). More new trains can see the Pacers off the rail network through cascading 150s and 156s.

National Express have to win something, within the past week they have lost most of their companies: Silverlink (the Metro operation was crap anyway, County good) MML (one of the best TOCs) Central (W Mids bad, E Mids ??). They werent even shortlisted on the West Midlands Franchise.

Now about the more staff they need......:D

Mintona

Established Member
So National Express own one and c2c - and that's it now? :shock:

Please let them get XC - really expected them to win East Midlands, to be honest.

332 > 444

Same here although i do like the Stagecoach brand. I would rather them get the East Coast, and let Virgin keep XC.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From having the largest rail portfolio to the smallest... all in three years :p

W14Fishbourne

On the other hand, Stagecoach is good for drafting in new fleets, prehaps we have seen the end of 153s, 156s and possibly 158s. Hmm a Stagecoach livered Meridian.....

Stagecoach only drafted in a new fleet to SWT because they had to replace the slam door stock. With the exception of the 442s they haven't replaced other BR-era stock - the 455s and the 159s although they have done them up.

If they were going to replace the 153s, 156s and 158s they'd have made a big thing about it. The only fleet-related commitments appear to be:

* Additional high speed train set from June 2012 to increase
capacity in time for the Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games
and
* A £26.5m fleet interior and performance improvement programme,
including décor, seats, on-train CCTV and technical modifications

devon_metro

Established Member
yer i did it for a laugh, might be another order of 185s, knowing stagecoaches love for Desiros they might get them coz there 450s on diesel bascially,

From a norms opinion 185s probably look great. I like the look of them so I would support a new batch. Is there is a link to a map they operate?

David

Established Member
185s are great units from a passengers view point. Lots of room all round, extremely quick, and decent sized windows so people can look out through.

If they do order some, don't expect them to be the same as TPE though, as the engine regulations have changed (plus there isn't enough QSK19s stockpiled for a big order).

Can't wait to see a HST in Stagecoach livery!

I think its great news.

Karl :)

You mean something like this?

thefab444

Established Member
I think with the £26.5m refurb, you're looking at the standards of the 159 refurbs done for SWT. Which is rather good.

TBH a proper refurb of the 153/156/158 (with 159 style aircon mods to the latter) fleet wouldn't be too bad.

T

Tom

Stagecoach are an excellent company IMHO despite their faults.

SWT have good ideas with livery ideas, being different variations for different types of service that the trains operate. It should create a unified fleet for each line so perhaps progress will be made...

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Well, I'd have taken either Stagecoach or Arriva, so I'm fairly pleased. Then again, I can't help wonder if it really makes a difference, since all the new franchises these days seem to be worse than what they replace, regardless of who operated them, and it's the DfT pulling the strings. I'm pleased they are talking about more capacity on Liverpool to Norwich though, and also refurbishment of the stock. I presume 158s and 170s will be first, since the former were the first Central did, and of cource 170s have been around for the same sort of time, and both are getting shabby now. The priority IMHO are the ex MML Turbostars, since they are in a right state (and whilst they are at it they can rip out the FC and buffet area to increase capacity), and next year will be 10 years old. Oviously though, it does depend on how the 158 and 170 fleet is split between WM, EM and XC.

Hentis

Arriva Cross Country and NOT Virgin.

Class 220's in Arriva's house colours...eugh...
Possibility of them implementing the services from Weymouth and Poole as well.

460's are to go completely and the 442's are to be refurbed inside. The Snug is to go that will be luggage space, the First class compartments are to go as well and replaced with the standard seating. Not sure whether the units will be towed from Eastleigh or work their way from Eastleigh to Stewarts Lane.

The refurb is being paid for by the DfT apparently.

Hentis

thefab444

Established Member
I wonder if Stagecoach will do as they did/are doing with SWT, and maintain a fleet of in-house thunderbird locos? (I think SWT own 73109/73201/73235 anyway).

Would also be quite interesting if the Salisbury Bubble (960012) went on a little expedition to Derby.

John

ChrisCooper

Established Member
There isn't really need for Thunderbirds on EM, since it's all DMUs (and that includes HSTs for this purpose), so total loss of traction power is very rare since everything includes more than one engine (other than 153s). Thunderbirds are most useful for electrified lines, to rescue trains in the event of loss of power.

thefab444

Established Member
Well, since the withdrawal of the 442s, the EDs can only tow 421s & the 423 at speed. They can tow Desiros very slowly (5mph), but on diesel it'll be even worse.

The fact that SWT have maintained and reliveried 3 x 73, 1 x 121, 2 x 421and 1 x 423, suggests someone up there in Stagecoach is a bit of a rail nut? They tried to store 73235, but it was back out fairly quickly. 3417 is always being mooted for preservation, but supposedly SWT want to keep it.

Would be 'interesting' to see a 47 or something in Stagecoach colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.