• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Thursday night caught the 2255 megabus off redruth to London overnight.
Must say first time I've been disappointed by megabus. Hired in vehicle, Stagecoach drivers.
Firstly the driver tried denying boarding of several passengers because he had the date wrong.
From redruth to Bristol, both the drivers had it like a sauna with temperature, cue waking up repeatedly sweating profusely, Bristol to London driver went for the other extreme and went artic, cue waking up shivering.
The hired in coach had no toilet and a seemingly incontinent chap from newquay to Bristol resulting in several services stops at the request of said passenger, every toilet stop on came all the cabin lights waking up majority of passengers.
I normally sleep ok but Thursday night seemed to be an exception.
Hopefully my return tomorrow 1200 off London will be better.

Glad to report the return journey was a good one. Minor problem of the driver getting lost in Bristol. A I believe London based driver did the London-Bristol leg, on a Sunday the driver change is at gordano services rather than the city centre. Driver didn't know his way out and off we went on a mystery tour of Bristolcity centre.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Glad to report the return journey was a good one. Minor problem of the driver getting lost in Bristol. A I believe London based driver did the London-Bristol leg, on a Sunday the driver change is at gordano services rather than the city centre. Driver didn't know his way out and off we went on a mystery tour of Bristolcity centre.
And unless Bristol gets rid of the [.......] that is the current Mayor he will have even more difficulty getting out of Bristol in a year or two.

Dave

Temple Meads

Established Member
If you go to swfalcon.com and look at the pdf maps that can be downloaded of the main stops, you will see the stop for Bristol Airport is North Side Road, same stop towards Bristol and Plymouth - the map suggesting just outside the terminal building. Might be worth a tweet to @stagecoachsouthwest if you want confirmation. Cheers!

The service is definitely serving the airport terminal, this picture confirms it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbystransportphotos/25031114005/

They are changing drivers there too, on at least some trips.

matt_splat

seen a few now at the airport they seem to use the stop which the A4 uses for pick ups in Both directions

carlberry

Established Member
And unless Bristol gets rid of the [.......] that is the current Mayor he will have even more difficulty getting out of Bristol in a year or two.

Dave

Not sure how changing the mayor will effect how difficult it is for an out of area coach driver to get out of Bristol. Without one of the candidates is suggesting removing street signs?

richw

Veteran Member
Not sure how changing the mayor will effect how difficult it is for an out of area coach driver to get out of Bristol. Without one of the candidates is suggesting removing street signs?

Better signage is needed. From the City Centre there were few if any at all signs for the M5. I was sat at the front upstairs, when the driver went the wrong way I started looking for signs for the M5 (or southbound destinations) and saw none. There was one sign for Taunton I saw pointing along the A38 past the airport route. No good for a coach driver needing to do a driver change at Gordano.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The current (night)mayor has decided that a glorified bus route is needed in lieu of the Long Ashton Park & Ride. I would be surprised if he doesn't decided to ban all traffic from the city centre eventually. Hoping for a good result (ie. the incumbent mayor getting thrown out - he deserves it) in the next mayoral election in May.

Dave

carlberry

Established Member
The current (night)mayor has decided that a glorified bus route is needed in lieu of the Long Ashton Park & Ride. I would be surprised if he doesn't decided to ban all traffic from the city centre eventually. Hoping for a good result (ie. the incumbent mayor getting thrown out - he deserves it) in the next mayoral election in May.

Dave

The last time I looked the Long Ashton P&R WAS a 'glorified bus route'!
A group of local authorities agreed to a package of improvements to public transport BEFORE HE WAS ELECTED, and I can’t see what’s wrong with bus services being improved.
Banning all traffic from the city centre might be worth trying (however he's never suggested it, even on weekends).
Whoever gets elected next can’t cure the fact that Bristol has too little space for the traffic that it's got, without they want to start (and can afford) large scale demolition of buildings, and Bristol may end up with the kind of nutters that Liverpool or London ended up with recently.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The last time I looked the Long Ashton P&R WAS a 'glorified bus route'!
A group of local authorities agreed to a package of improvements to public transport BEFORE HE WAS ELECTED, and I can’t see what’s wrong with bus services being improved.
Banning all traffic from the city centre might be worth trying (however he's never suggested it, even on weekends).
Whoever gets elected next can’t cure the fact that Bristol has too little space for the traffic that it's got, without they want to start (and can afford) large scale demolition of buildings, and Bristol may end up with the kind of nutters that Liverpool or London ended up with recently.

Well said Carl.

I know that George isn't the most popular with some people but what are people actually expecting? That they can still drive in increasing numbers with no restrictions and that traffic can be solved.

At least there's some sense in improving cycling so that those who could cycle in (and leave their car at home) won't be clogging up the roads for whom commercial requirements or logistics mean road transport via the combustion engine is required.

mewstone

Unfortunately it appears that for some reason the Stagecoach Explorplus day ticket (I think it is called the Devon Explorer from Plymouth City Bus) at £8.50 cannot be purchased from the drivers on the Falcon service. It is, however, valid on it between Taunton and Plymouth, which means purchasing it on another Stagecoach or Plymouth City Bus service, to avoid paying the ordinary fare on the Falcon. I got caught out yesterday, although with the promotional fare on the Falcon it only cost me an additional £1 for a day return ticket. I then purchased a Explorplus ticket on the Park and Ride service into Exeter City Centre.

Last edited:

quarella

I used The Falcon on Sunday leaving Bristol at 1030 as the sole passenger. 3 joined at the Airport. 6 at Taunton, 2 alighted at Exeter Honiton Road, 2 boarded at Drumbridges roundabout. I came back on the same vehicle leaving Plymouth at 1400 after a driver change. 3 other passengers. 2 alighted at Exeter Sowton and the other at Bridgwater Driver change at the airport. Timetable seems to be about right with a comfortable run, making progress with sometimes a minute or two at stops and at least it acknowledges increased traffic at certain times of the day.
I was amazed how powerful the hand drier was in the loo. Wonder if that would reduce if everyone was plugged in. Would quite happily use it again. Few more speed limits on the A38 through Somerset than when I lived there.

extendedpaul

I plan a trip on Falcon from Bristol to Plymouth next Tuesday departing at 10.30am.

If any forum member has made or makes this journey at a similar time on a weekday I'd be grateful for any info on how many passengers are joining at Bristol. Not sure whether I need to get there really early to queue to guarantee a seat.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Not sure whether I need to get there really early to queue to guarantee a seat.

From what I've seen none of the Falcon journeys are anywhere near busy enough to warrant that.

I travelled on the service yesterday; a morning trip from Cullompton to Bristol, returned afternoon Bristol to Exeter then an evening trip to Plymouth and back. The morning up trip was well filled but still plenty of spare seats, the return was quiet and the evening runs were pretty dead.

Sadly roadworks in Bristol were playing havoc with the pretty tight timings - a couple of services were around an hour late.

Lovely coaches and very friendly, well skilled drivers though.

DaveHarries

Established Member
As I mentioned on Monday I had the chance on Tuesday evening to try the Falcon out for myself. My box let me use it rather than pay the Open Return fare on the train (£56.00) which is what would normally be done.

17:30 Plymouth (Bretonside) to Bristol
16-Feb-2016 | Coach: 54322, YY65 VXX

The incoming journey arrived at 17:25 due to traffic en-route and dropped off 8 passengers. The 17:30 trip left 4 minutes down with 16 passengers, including me.

Passenger figures noted for the stopping points (people on / off) were:

Plymouth (Bretonside): 16 on.
Laira: 0/0
South Brent: 0/0
Drumbridges: 1/0
Exeter (Sowton): 0/8
Exeter (Honiton Rd): 0/0
Cullompton: 0/2

and then none on or off until Anchor Road (Bristol) where I alighted. The remaining passengers went onward towards Cabot Circus.

I enjoyed the ride and would have no problems with using it again in the future. I gather that one or two trips earlier in the day had been pretty busy. The standard of driving was very good. A couple of thoughts:

- I was surprised by the apparent lack of stop flags at the Taunton, Bridgwater and Bristol Airport stops. I guess it is down to Stagecoach to ask the local council to put them up, and then down to the council to carry this out.

- Coach misbehaved a couple of times: firstly at Drumbridges where an alarm went off when the door was opened to let the passenger on. The alarm was scilenced without too much delay. Secondly between Bristol Airport and Bedminster Down where an alarm came on telling the driver to apply the parking brake! Driver pulled in, did so, released the brake to continue the trip and the alarm didn't reactivate.

I also overheard something interesting. A passenger who alighted at the same stop as me asked the driver if this new coach service was likely to be expanded if all goes well. The driver replied with words to the effect of: "I am not allowed to say too much but I can tell you that this is Phase One" which sounds interesting. One wonders what else might be in store if that is so.

Dave

Last edited:

mewstone

DaveHarries wrote: "I also overheard something interesting. A passenger who alighted at the same stop as me asked the driver if this new coach service was likely to be expanded if all goes well. The driver replied with words to the effect of: "I am not allowed to say too much but I can tell you that this is Phase One" which sounds interesting. One wonders what else might be in store if that is so."

As much as I like the railways and travelling by train, in all honesty for me the long distance services have become both too expensive and overcrowded, especially Arriva Cross Country! The existing National Express and Megabus services I usually use as an alternative these days and now having a "walk on" Falcon service is fantastic and new additional longer distance coach services from Stagecoach will be most welcome by me.

LAIRA

Checked out the midday Falcon today it arrived 25 late ( 10 mins after the departure time) with 6 people aboard.

After changing drivers and ticket roll it departed 18 late with 9 passengers.

Rapidash

Paignton bus station has acquired an electronic display, showing all the upcoming departures/delays. All good, apart from the company logo for all services being that of....First!:lol:

quarella

- I was surprised by the apparent lack of stop flags at the Taunton, Bridgwater and Bristol Airport stops. I guess it is down to Stagecoach to ask the local council to put them up, and then down to the council to carry this out.

Dave

There is certainly a Falcon stop flag at Taunton. I took a photo of it on Sunday.

matt_splat

At least one if not two megabus coaches out on the falcon today seems bristol traffic and also the A38 and M5 having problems have caused a few delays

DaveHarries wrote: "I also overheard something interesting. A passenger who alighted at the same stop as me asked the driver if this new coach service was likely to be expanded if all goes well. The driver replied with words to the effect of: "I am not allowed to say too much but I can tell you that this is Phase One" which sounds interesting. One wonders what else might be in store if that is so."

I wonder whether they might link it up with the belles express and continue it up to Gloucester in the next couple of years?

matt_splat

I wonder whether they might link it up with the belles express and continue it up to Gloucester in the next couple of years?

i think this could work or maybe rebrand the Belles to falcon?

i also think we could see a Penzance, Camborne, Truro, Bodmin, Launceston, Exeter and then up to Bristol via the Airport style service

LAIRA

I went for a short trip to Exeter today to try out the Falcon service and I regret to inform you that I will NOT be able to recommend this service to anybody.

Planned to travel on the 10.00 from Plymouth which arrived at Bretonside from the garage 8 minutes after departure time so we left 11mins late. The coach was quite warm and comfortable and arrival at Honiton Road P&R was 10 mins late.

Now the homeward journey. Caught the Blue P&R to Sowton for the 14.40 departure but not long after arrival a Falcon went towards Bristol presumably the 14.05 about 30 mins late. At 15.02 another Bristol bound bus arrived and waited time and left on time at 15.05. At 16.15 another Bristol bound bus arrived and on speaking to the driver he was unaware of any problems with the service although he was nearly quarter of an hour late.
Finally at 16.20 the 15.40 departure arrived and the driver was able to inform me that the 14.40 had to be cancelled as the driver had shut the door and the glass in the door had fallen out. This was the same bus as I had travelled to Exeter in the morning and this bus has devloped a loud rattle since this mornig which did sound like glass rattling in the frame.It had been further delayed by road works in Bristol. The were very few passengers this afternoon as the bus arrived presumably with the 2 buses of passengers totally 4 people.
During my 100min wait I spoke to a couple of P&R drivers who knew nothing about the service and I tried to contact the phone number on the bus stop which was unattainable.
Arrival back at Bretonside was 41 late as the Falcon service now appears to use Exeter Street and The Viaduct in Plymouth rather than going through Bretonside.

Some more punctual starting procedures and more running time in the timetable is needed before this service will become acceptable

Rant Over

DaveHarries

Established Member
TBH Colin the traffic in the centre of Bristol is going to be a problem for a while yet while the works for this [.....] Metrobus are ongoing and they aren't due to finish until the 3rd quarter of 2017 I believe.

For my part the journey I used on Tuesday 16th arrived 30 late with 8 passengers but only departed 5 late with 16 passengers and didn't loose any more time en-route. I suspect that Stagecoach will possibly alter the timetable to allow for the chaos that these works are causing but the question is by how much.

Dave

richw

Veteran Member
Interesting reading the low numbers, on Sunday I was on the megabus as previously mentioned.
Around 25 passengers joined the megabus service at Bristol travelling to Exeter/Plymouth or Cornwall. The megabus fare being greater than the £1 introductory fare.

cambsy

On Moderation
Have just done a 25 hour bash on the Falcon services, starting on Tuesday 16th Feb on 09.00 Plymouth-Bristol and ending Wednesday 17th Feb on 09.00 Plymouth-Bristol, got off at Cullompton about 10.25am.

Found the service to be good, if too tightly timed, especially in Bristol, ran about 30 mins late on most services, the coaches were comfortable, and some were very busy with day trippers to Bristol, had a couple of teething problems with the coaches, one was the chairlift step sliding a bit, causing the coach to lose its gears in middle lane near Cabot Circus, blocking the middle lane for about 5 mins until the driver kicked the step and off we went, and second was a faulty catalytic converter heat sensor which meant us limping up Haldon Hill Exeter at about 5mph into a lay-by, with a slight burning smell, about 11.30 pm, then having to wait for a 04 plate Optare to run us back to Plymouth, must give credit to Stagecoach for holding the 01.30 am Plymouth-Bristol at Laira flyover for good 10 mins for me to catch it back to Bristol.

Bumped into another forum member and had a good long natter about loads of things, and am doing another 24 hour plus Falcon bash mid week, next week, might as well take advantage of the £1.00 offer.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Bumped into another forum member and had a good long natter about loads of things, and am doing another 24 hour plus Falcon bash mid week, next week, might as well take advantage of the £1.00 offer.
Yes it was good to put a face to the name. Catch you around sometime.

Interesting reading the low numbers, on Sunday I was on the megabus as previously mentioned.
Around 25 passengers joined the megabus service at Bristol travelling to Exeter/Plymouth or Cornwall. The megabus fare being greater than the £1 introductory fare.
There has not been much publicity for it that I have seen up here. The Bristol Evening Post didn't publish anything about the Falcon until Wednesday and the BBC have said nothing about it whatsoever AFAIK.

Dave

Temple Meads

Established Member
Pleased to say that the 0850 from Cullompton to Plymouth yesterday was perfectly on time, with yet another excellent, good natured, driver.

Only three other passengers on that one, whereas the Bristol-bound one that passed us in Exeter was very well filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.