Stalybridge to Leeds 'Ale Trail' - break in journey?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by The Snap, 11 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Snap

The Snap Established Member

Hi all,

I'm going to venture towards Leeds from Stalybridge stopping at the various pubs en route forming the Ale Trail on Saturday.

What's the situation regarding the break in journey rule? Will a Stalybridge to Leeds off-peak return cover me getting on and off the Northern stoppers between Stalybridge and Huddersfield?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks.

2. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

Provided you don't double back, an Off-Peak Day Return will usually be fine, tickets between Stalybridge and Leeds don't have a break of journey restriction.

3. The Snap

Thanks. Can you define doubling back please?

4. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Going back in the opposite direction, back towards Stalybridge and then back towards Leeds again. Once you've changed direction you can't change direction again without buying another ticket.

Last edited: 11 May 2015
  5. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Defined as passing through the same station twice on the same ticket (portion of ticket) whether changing direction of travel en route or not, which includes what Deerfold mentioned.

For example, for illustrative purposes only, Bradford Interchange - Leeds - Micklefield - York - Harrogate - Leeds - Micklefield - Selby includes doubleback at Leeds, Cross Gates, Garforth, East Garforth and Micklefield despite not changing direction of travel at all.

6. The Snap

I see, in that case I've no need to double back for the purposes of my journey.

Thanks for the help all.

7. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Member

It's a brave drinker that attempts that route on a Saturday.... much better to go on a Thursday or Friday if you can.

No crowds and a more genteel drinking environment.

8. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Member

Indeed, but even at weekends you can still avoid the worst of the stag & hen parties by going to some of the less obvious places on the trail like Greenfield, Marsden & Slaithwaite.

http://www.imissedthetrain.com/wp-content/uploads/TransPennineAleTrail.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.