• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting sentences with 'So'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
I suspect that 400-odd years ago, a fair few English-language pedants / precisians / purists / prescriptivists were yelling for that Shakespeare son-of-unmarried-parents to be hanged, drawn and quartered; for the havoc that he was wreaking on the beautiful and precise English tongue.

Possibly. Back in Roman times, people were moaning about the misuse of Latin.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Personally I couldn't care less about Americanisms (although their pronounciation of Aluminium is a bit iffy) .

They pronounce it as they write it - they drop an i, spelling it aluminum.

Nobody has mentioned one word usage that I find annoying.
Basically is nearly always used where its omission would make no difference whatsoever to the meaning.

Harbornite

Established Member

Basically is nearly always used where its omission would make no difference whatsoever to the meaning.

Indeed, another word that that shouldn't be used to start a sentence (like and, but and though).

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Are you sure it makes no difference at all? To my mind 'basically' is a very useful word to use to qualify a statement by indicating that the statement is more by way of a close approximation, or has some rare exceptions that you don't want to go into - it's almost but not quite 100% correct. I often use 'basically' in that sense, especially in debates etc. My own vague impression is that usually when I've seen other people use 'basically', it normally carries that meaning, and so could not be removed without slightly changing the meaning.

Calthrop

Established Member

Are you sure it makes no difference at all? To my mind 'basically' is a very useful word to use to qualify a statement by indicating that the statement is more by way of a close approximation, or has some rare exceptions that you don't want to go into - it's almost but not quite 100% correct. I often use 'basically' in that sense, especially in debates etc. My own vague impression is that usually when I've seen other people use 'basically', it normally carries that meaning, and so could not be removed without slightly changing the meaning.

DynamicSpirit, I concur. I'm perhaps a bit over-ready to use "basically"; but that's the meaning which I intend, by using it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect that 400-odd years ago, a fair few English-language pedants / precisians / purists / prescriptivists were yelling for that Shakespeare son-of-unmarried-parents to be hanged, drawn and quartered; for the havoc that he was wreaking on the beautiful and precise English tongue.

I've always wondered why we say hanged instead of hung? It's often said like this. I think I might have been asleep in class that day (blackboard rubber in the head. Again). Do you or anyone else know?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
DynamicSpirit, I concur. I'm perhaps a bit over-ready to use "basically"; but that's the meaning which I intend, by using it.

'When I use a word' said Humpty Dumpty 'it means just what I intend it to mean - no more or less.'

Lewis Carroll, out of copyright, but still as relevant today as in the nineteenth century.

Harbornite

Established Member
I've always wondered why we say hanged instead of hung? It's often said like this. I think I might have been asleep in class that day (blackboard rubber in the head. Again). Do you or anyone else know?

Good question, I've also pondered this.

On another note, I've wondered before why we refer to the cutting off of one's head as beheading and not deheading.

DaleCooper

Established Member

I've never heard anyone described as "hanged like a donkey".

I think the difference is something to do with transitive and intransitive verbs.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That's true actually. Mrs Cowley says hung. Hung like a donkey.

Hanged = as in executed and involving a noose.

Hung = as in having put a picture up on the wall.

Hung like a..... = oh, Google it. Just Google it*.:roll:

*But not while you are at work.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hanged = as in executed and involving a noose.

Hung = as in having put a picture up on the wall.

Hung like a..... = oh, Google it. Just Google it*.:roll:

*But not while you are at work.

:) It's just that when they say "You will be taken from this place and hanged by the neck until you are dead", it sounds a bit strange.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Good question, I've also pondered this.

On another note, I've wondered before why we refer to the cutting off of one's head as beheading and not deheading.

Similarly, why does inflammable mean the same as flammable ?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Similarly, why does inflammable mean the same as flammable ?

As far as I can make out, originally there was only inflammable - the word flammable did not exist. 'inflammable' was probably imported as one word from either French or Latin, so the 'in' is not actually a negation. At some point more recently, some people started dropping the 'in' to make the word 'flammable'

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And why is 'inwhelmed' not a word? :lol:

Good point. It's enough to leave you unwhelmed.

Sometimes the more you look at a word the more strange it looks. Sometimes I write a word down and I'm slightly unsure of the spelling but think it's right, but the more I look at it the more unsure I get and end up checking it.
Also, with predictive text I find that I type the first part of the word out but don't need to think about the rest of it because the technology does it for me and consequently my brain seems to be losing the ability to retain splellings,

Harbornite

Established Member
Good point. It's enough to leave you unwhelmed.

Sometimes the more you look at a word the more strange it looks. Sometimes I write a word down and I'm slightly unsure of the spelling but think it's right, but the more I look at it the more unsure I get and end up checking it.
Also, with predictive text I find that I type the first part of the word out but don't need to think about the rest of it because the technology does it for me and consequently my brain seems to be losing the ability to retain splellings,

I experienced this once with the word queue. What an oddly spelled word.

English also has plenty of what could be considered as strange pronounciation rules. You've got similar sounding words (they're, their and their) and words that have mostly the same letters but are prounced differently (tow and cow). As for the word row, that has two different pronunciations that depend on the context!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I experienced this once with the word queue. What an oddly spelled word.

English also has plenty of what could be considered as strange pronounciation rules. You've got similar sounding words (they're, their and their) and words that have mostly the same letters but are prounced differently (tow and cow). As for the word row, that has two different pronunciations that depend on the context!

Queue is definitely a wierd one, especially when you think how good we are at doing it.

Calthrop

Established Member

And as for all those "ough" horrors -- probably, enough said...

Harbornite

Established Member
On the one show, they're talking about how dating and language has evolved with new words like selfie and instagram. Well they also mentioned how nowadays, people start sentences with so!

Status
Not open for further replies.